Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's that time of year again. Be aware, & step up your routines.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's that time of year again. Be aware, & step up your routines.

For those of us who live in climates where we need heat in the winter... here we are, October 1, and in many places the heat is starting to come on. This is the season when we tend to get a wave of people experiencing what feels like 'relapse' after a relatively good summer. Drier, warmer, and sometimes moving air indoors can trigger some symptoms that have abated. Having symptoms recur can then trigger depression and anxiety, especially if you've been 'better' for quite some time.

SO! Be prepared, get ahead of the game, and if you've been slacking off in your dry eye care due to improved symptoms, you might want to pre-emptively step it up again.

Drink up.
    Lube up.
    Cover up.

Keep goggles by the computer.
    Monitor the humidity level in your home/workplace.

Don't get caught off guard by seasonal changes!

Monday, I was at a choir practice and had to endure forced air heat. Messed up my 'bad' eye so badly I had to take the day off work yesterday and still recovering today. I will start patching it after this or wear goggles. Be prepared
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Good thought and thanks for the warning so we don't fall behind the curve on controlling inflammation. I feel like I've been needing more drops within the last week or so.

On a sort of related and slightly off base note, I'm slowly watching the second season of Game of Thrones (with the help of scleral lenses and goggles of course) and the characters in that show often remind me of us dry eye sufferers because they are always scared of the long winter. Rebecca, maybe you can just borrow this HBO teaser to warn us that "winter is coming"

http://youtu.be/xVytEgSO0wQ

Comment

LOL. I can just see a DES remake of that clip with our dry eye triggers lurking in the shadows.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

And if you can afford it..get a furnace humdifier.

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        For those of us who live in climates where we need heat in the winter... here we are, October 1, and in many places the heat is starting to come on. This is the season when we tend to get a wave of people experiencing what feels like 'relapse' after a relatively good summer. Drier, warmer, and sometimes moving air indoors can trigger some symptoms that have abated. Having symptoms recur can then trigger depression and anxiety, especially if you've been 'better' for quite some time.

SO! Be prepared, get ahead of the game, and if you've been slacking off in your dry eye care due to improved symptoms, you might want to pre-emptively step it up again.

Drink up.
        Lube up.
        Cover up.

Monday, I was at a choir practice and had to endure forced air heat. Messed up my 'bad' eye so badly I had to take the day off work yesterday and still recovering today. I will start patching it after this or wear goggles. Be prepared

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post

Drink up.
          Lube up.
          Cover up.

You are so right Rebecca, I had posted about a week ago about the change in weather, and why my eyes seemed worse when it rained, just wanted you to know that I took advice given and tried taking claritin for about 3 days within one day my eyes were improved greatly, so surprising because you would think it would have dried them out, I'm guessing the allergies are the culprit, with the warmer weather we've had the last few days my eyes have gotten great again, but I'm dreading the heat coming on. Hope your recovered now from that heater attack

Comment

Working...
          X