Ocular rosacea - IPL effective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocular rosacea - IPL effective?

I read several threads on this website but couldn't find enough insights.

I learned today that I have ocular rosacea which became symptomatic after Lasik. This creates inflammation of my meibomian glands and as a result my eye get close to no oil. When I did lipiflow or probing, my glands would clog right back within 2 week.

IPL is supposed to treat ocular rosacea. Anyone have stories to share?

Here is my current theory. We know IPL (in dermatology) somehow treats the skin quite well for things like Rosacea and Acne. My theory is that it somehow reduces inflammation by affecting the underlying blood vessels which controls the glands.

I believe, one of the causes of MGD is inflammation, and perhaps related to the underlying affects of Rosacea and Acne in dermatology. Some evidence to this, the treatments that effect Acne/Rosacea also help MGD, for example oral doxy/azithromycin. It is totally conceivable that IPL which we know for a fact helps rosacea and acne in dermatology, will somehow positively impact MGD patients.

I am personally on IPL-monthly, however there are many different protocols of IPL out there. Make sure you get the one with corneal shields which will allow you to do both upper and lower lids (i.e., as opposed to lower lids only).

Comment

Thanks for the insight! How's IPL working for you thus far?

Comment

Originally posted by phenix01 View Post
        Thanks for the insight! How's IPL working for you thus far?
        I am definitely improving a lot , however I can not scientifically attribute it to IPL. I am currently on Restasis BID, Xiidra BID, Omega 3, GLA, and monthly-IPL. I've also done Prokera in 1 of my eyes to heal the nerves. Am I fully recovered? No, However I've gone from being bed-ridden to back to work in front of computer 10 hrs per day.

I do believe IPL is helping and hence my continuation w/ IPL. My theory is that IPL can somehow reduce the underlying inflammation , and if we can control and reduce the inflammation , there is a chance my glands can grow back.

Comment

deep_dry_eye Where are you doing IPL? I remember you are living in Toronto.

I did IPL on saturday but it was only below my eyes. Not even close to eyelid. The doctor did expression right after.

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post
            deep_dry_eye Where are you doing IPL? I remember you are living in Toronto.

I did IPL on saturday but it was only below my eyes. Not even close to eyelid. The doctor did expression right after.
            Let me PM you.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

Let me PM you.
              Please PM me the place as well.

Comment

It is my understanding that there is enough heat created that it is not necessary to do the upperlid. Not sure, that is just my current understanding of the process.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                  It is my understanding that there is enough heat created that it is not necessary to do the upperlid. Not sure, that is just my current understanding of the process.
                  My theory and mechanism of action of IPL has nothing to do w/ heat -- but rather somehow that light/energy affects your underlying physiology and its not heat related.

Comment

Can't remember I thought I read that somewhere but I could be wrong.

Comment

I just located it in a study done by Dr Toyos that stated that the localized thermal effect of the light liquifies the normally viscous meibum and dilates the glands after which the meibum is expressed. The mechanism of action is unclear but the heat is also believed to cause a reduction of bacterial and parasitic growth so according to the experts it is primarily the heat that is responsible for the results.

I have no doubt that there are other factors at play but I have read that the results are the same regardless which type of shield is used....just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                        I just located it in a study done by Dr Toyos that stated that the localized thermal effect of the light liquifies the normally viscous meibum and dilates the glands after which the meibum is expressed. The mechanism of action is unclear but the heat is also believed to cause a reduction of bacterial and parasitic growth so according to the experts it is primarily the heat that is responsible for the results.

I have no doubt that there are other factors at play but I have read that the results are the same regardless which type of shield is used....just saying.
                        I read the paper and I don't buy it. It's just speculation without any evidence.

I think any paper that claims a mechanism of action of IPL shouldn't be trusted, the fact is, we don't know the exact mechanism of action of IPL, we just know that there is a statistical correlation in helping MGD patients.

I definitely don't buy the bacteria / parasite claim of the IPL paper, also its written in a speculative way without any evidence.

Comment

What are the risks of IPL? any drawbacks?

Comment

Originally posted by phenix01 View Post
                            What are the risks of IPL? any drawbacks?
                            It might not work , and $$$ down the drain ; )

Comment

How about risks to the eye itself from the intense light? Risk to the retina? While the benefits of IPL are very interesting, like any procedures there are horror stories online....

Comment

Working...
                              X