Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making more tears unconventionally

Fellow Dry Eye Sufferers,

I had RK 18 years ago. Since that time I have had dry irritated eyes. Doctors have suggested all sorts of drops. For me, these drops never really made things better except perhaps during the short time that the extra liquid was in there. I have tried to add drops into my eyes every time my eyes felt dry. This results in me adding drops every 5-10 minutes. After doing this for a while, it seems that my eyes are much worse feeling than before I started this process.

The only time that my eyes seem to function properly is when I am eating. I can feel little squirts of water entering my eyes every time I swallow liquids and I chew etc. Every thing is great….I forget about the eyes…..and then about 10-15 minutes later every thing is back to its irritating normal state. So it seems that my dry eye problem could be helped with more water.

Here is my theory about how MY eyes seem to work. It seems that my eyes produce a “baseline” quantity of water. This is the minimum that ensures that the eyes have enough water when sleeping etc. I realize reading this board, that some folks don’t even have this. When the eyes are open there is a mechanism to squirt water in tiny increments when the eye surface sends a signal that it doesn’t feel good…this is all done automatically. In my case, this mechanism has been disabled by the surgery and the disruption of nerve signals. Without this little extra “squirts of water” my eyes have to limp along on the “baseline” quantities.

What I have been trying to work on is a method of making those little squirts of water some other way. I know that the following things produce some water or tears:

1. Eating. Unfortunately, I can’t eat constantly without negative results.
    2. Yawning: Seems to produce tears but it takes a lot of effort.
    3. Sometimes if I see something that makes me emotional, I will get tears to well up. This is not easy to replicate.
    4. Some forms of pain such as a pimple on the nose etc. Can’t hardly expect to be pinching a pimple on my nose to relieve dry eye.

There are probably more of these. The tantalizing thing is that there are some methods of triggering the tear glands to inject water, but we do not seem to be in control of this. I know this is a shot in the dark but I wonder if there is any way that one could retrain these glands so that they respond to different stimulus. If Pavlov’s dog could make saliva by hearing a bell, maybe we could train ourselves to get our tear glands to make a little squirt every time we did something unrelated, like blink, or breath deeply for example. I realize this is kind of far fetched, but maybe there is something possible.

I have tried to get good at creating small tear squirts by doing what I call a “mini yawn”. What I do is mentally make myself yawn, but instead of going the full route of opening my mouth etc, I kind of only do the first part. I get a little squirt of liquid in the eyes and that helps for a minute or two. The problem with this is that it takes a lot of concentration to do this. I don’t know if the mechanical act of yawning is what causes the liquid or if it is just one of the parts of the reflex. If there was a way of somehow training oneself to subtract out all the mouth opening and just mentally squirt the water, maybe with enough mental training one could make ones eyes get little squirts almost subconsciously.

I realize all of this probably sounds like a bunch of rambling nonsense, but maybe there is an answer here somewhere. I would love to hear other’s ideas on this (except for the obvious one that I am going insane).

Richard.

Chewing

Richard,
    If all of this is true for you..and I'm not saying it isn't...then, have you tried a sour type gum?

Billye

Comment

That is a good question, but I have tried gums of all types and it doesn't seem to work like actually eating or drinking something. I'm not sure if it is the actual swallowing or if it stops working when the flavor fades.

Comment

My eyes water like crazy if I eat wasabi or chilli, and it only takes a minute quantity...

Comment

Please remember that reflex tears do not necessarily contain the same composition of oil, mucous and water as our regular tears do. When I cry, I do not experience relief of my DES. In fact, it seems like my eyes feel worse after crying. You might want to do some research on lacrimation and reflex tearing.
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I also noticed that flooding my eyes with water like crying or full yawning doesn't really result in satisfactory lubrication. It seems if I get small squirts a little at a time they work much better.

Comment

I recall a doctor telling me that some dry eye patients get in the habit of picking their noses because they realize when they mess with the inside of their noses, they produce tears. I can't be sure if these are basal or reflex tears, but it's tears nonetheless.

For kicks, grab a Q-Tip and tickle the inside of your nose. Learning to discreetly dig in you nose is certainly more convenient than wasabi...
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Dianat,

That one is a tie with picking at a pimple. I'll work on that one to see how discreetly I can do it. Something tells me it will be hard on my already faltering social life. You know, I bet laughing works too.

Richard.

Comment

Richard R., et al,

Speaking of laughing, thanks for the laughs!! Although unfortunately a lot of this is SERIOUS STUFF if it can take away some pain!!

Comment

Originally posted by dianat
                    I recall a doctor telling me that some dry eye patients get in the habit of picking their noses because they realize when they mess with the inside of their noses, they produce tears. I can't be sure if these are basal or reflex tears, but it's tears nonetheless.

For kicks, grab a Q-Tip and tickle the inside of your nose. Learning to discreetly dig in you nose is certainly more convenient than wasabi...
                    As I age I worry I'll end up like my grandfather, who had a second head of hair protruding from his nose. So I use needlenose pliers to pluck individual hairs. Initially it caused a lot of tearing. But as I've gotten used to it, the plucking doesn't cause much tearing anymore.

Acupunture has helped some with this condition. The needles don't go up the nose. :-)

Comment

Irritating the inside of the nose is (or was) actually a method of inducing tears for tear production measurement. I think I read about this in an article written by Dr. Holly comparing different types of Schirmer and other aqueous tear production tests.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Baudouin's lab tech simply used a fresh cut of an onion--held unconscionably close to my open eyes--to gather tears for analysis. Ouch.

Could get you through at least a grocery trip or two, theoretically.

Comment

Working...
                        X