Rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosacea

Does anyone know of another treatment for ocular rosacea besides Doxycycline and the other cycline antibiotics? I have had bad reactions with these and cannot use them. Has anyone used Bactrim or a anti-biotic eye drop? I have a appointment tomorrow with my doctor and need some alternatives. Thanks, Debbie.

Hi,
    I don't know of alternative treatments, though I am looking into them for myself, too. I take doxy and tolerate it well but I always like to know of backups. Anyway, I wanted to ask you if you are allergic to doxy, or if your reaction is side effects like stomach problems. If it is just stomach issues, I wanted to share with you that the first time I took doxy on an empty stomach (as we are directed to do!), I threw up about 20 minutes later. Since then, I've taken it with just a couple of spoonfuls of applesauce (careful not to take doxy with any dairy products), and that works.
    Now obviously if that is not your issue, this won't help, but I wanted to mention it.
    Good luck to you.

Comment

I'm back - I just found this: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1197341-treatment

According to that, "Erythromycin can be taken orally for patients intolerant to, or too young for, tetracyclines. Erythromycin ointment applied to the lid margins once or twice daily can provide lubrication for the eye and reduce the bacterial overgrowth contributing to lid margin disease."

So maybe you could ask your Dr. about oral and/or topical erythromycin.

And you may already know this, but it always helps to take probiotics (or eat yogurt, I suppose) while on antibiotics. I never take them together (fear they might cancel each other out!) but several hours apart.

There are a lot more treatment options mentioned in the article I linked to.

Comment

Side Effects

Originally posted by eyes78 View Post
        I'm back - I just found this: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1197341-treatment

According to that, "Erythromycin can be taken orally for patients intolerant to, or too young for, tetracyclines. Erythromycin ointment applied to the lid margins once or twice daily can provide lubrication for the eye and reduce the bacterial overgrowth contributing to lid margin disease."

So maybe you could ask your Dr. about oral and/or topical erythromycin.

And you may already know this, but it always helps to take probiotics (or eat yogurt, I suppose) while on antibiotics. I never take them together (fear they might cancel each other out!) but several hours apart.

There are a lot more treatment options mentioned in the article I linked to.
        The side effects I have experienced with Doxy are, sores on the tongue and mouth, acid reflux, diarrhea, and worsening photo-phobia. I will check with my doctor on the Erythromycin. Thank you.

Comment

We started nasty intracranial hypertension on oral Lymecycline, which continued or restarted on oral Erythromycin. These were not sub-antimicrobial doses though.

So we just use common topical antibacterials for eyes now, but they must be preservative-free for long-term use. Azithromycin (Azyter) has been the best, in short 6-day courses. Antibiotic resistance is a problem. If bugs don't get zapped straight away, there are further options like topical fluoroquinolones.

I think it's a big help to keep the face and eyes cleaner than normal with some bug-killer face wash that suits - doesn't have to be an advertised antibac, mild soaps and oils do it too.

Interested to hear what they prescribe.
          Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
          X