Sydney Conference : Ocular surface and Dry Eye - late July 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney Conference : Ocular surface and Dry Eye - late July 2014

Kathy and I attended this conference in late July and I had always intended to post something about it. But, fairly predictably for me, time got away from me and now it is late October and still nothing.Kathy reminded me about this the other day. So, now a belated entry.

The conference was well worth attending - it was free and lunches were provided ! There was only one other dry eye sufferer there and I really think they were hoping for more of us to turn up - in particular they were looking for "advocacy groups" but there does not seem to be any of those for dry eye in Australia. On the last day we few dry eye sufferers were given a chance to speak to the conference and I think they were most interested to hear our stories.

The conference was really focused on new research and at least half of it was related to other aspects of ocular surface disease. Quite a bit of that was around the work being done to make contact lens wear both more comfortable and safer.

The main things related to dry eye of a practical nature where the presentations on the E-Eye IPL machine now becoming increasingly available in Australia and for which Dr Jennifer Craig has completed a double blind study with encouraging results. And the presentation by Professor David Sullivan on Lubricin sounded to us like the most promising future treatment - and, according to him, this future is sooner than we would have thought. Maybe by late next year.

I have attached the notes I made at the end of the conference if anyone is interested in more detail about Lubricin or on some of the other presentations.

Neil
    Attached Files

Thank you Neil!

Comment

Working...
    X