X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serum drop burning

Hi Again,

I got my serum drop today. It is 50%.

When I put my serum drop my bad eye (left) burn a bit. Is it usual or there is something wrong with my drop?

Thanks

When I was on serum, it never burns. I get it from the fridge, so if anything it's nice and cool on the eye (at least temporarily). Does it burn on the other eye as well? Probably your left eye is super sensitive. You should consider Prokera to heal your cornea and nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
      When I was on serum, it never burns. I get it from the fridge, so if anything it's nice and cool on the eye (at least temporarily). Does it burn on the other eye as well? Probably your left eye is super sensitive. You should consider Prokera to heal your cornea and nerves.
      thanks for your reply

I get it from Fridge as well but it burns after applying. For a good minute. I searched prokera in this website but I couldn’t find anyone post lasik who got benefits from it. Have you heard anything?

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

thanks for your reply

I get it from Fridge as well but it burns after applying. For a good minute. I searched prokera in this website but I couldn’t find anyone post lasik who got benefits from it. Have you heard anything?
        Yes -- there's been a couple of recent research reports that Prokera can help Lasik patients. The theory is that Prokera can heal the nerves behind you, Prokera is low risk, and just cost money if you can afford it. It's around 1.5k CAD / eye in Toronto. If it works, its cheaper than your drug / tear supply.

Comment

I think I eventually have to try prokera. I will stay on serum drop for another month and see what happens. I am doing 8 times per day. I am doing IPL as well.
          Prokera is the last thing I can try.

Comment

I think I eventually have to try prokera. I will stay on serum drop for another month and see what happens. I am doing 8 times per day. I am doing IPL as well.
            Prokera is the last thing I can try.
            There is also Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) which is supposedly much better than serum (still made w/ your own blood), except the concentration is much higher. See if that's available in your city, in Toronto my doctor is still working w/ the pharmacy to buy the machine to make it.

Definitely give Prokera a try, its low risk and I heard really good stories about it from my doctor.

Comment

Ive noticed that when my drops are made with in buffered saline, they can burn. I’ve had serum drops that were ph buffered and we’re veet smooth on the eye. I also noticed after using 100% that it was also much smoother. I’m assuming simply because there was no additive. I’m a guy that used 20% and 50% serum 8-12+ times a day. I could use the 100% 4 times a day and it was extremely effective. It’s alsoo more oily, so it just feels better than the saline cut versions. But yes, my assumption is it’s the saline irritating your eye...it’s probably a bit sore anyway. Do you have saline sitting around, maybe you can test my hypothesis. If pure saline burns, it may just be the sodium chloride.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post
                Ive noticed that when my drops are made with in buffered saline, they can burn. I’ve had serum drops that were ph buffered and we’re veet smooth on the eye. I also noticed after using 100% that it was also much smoother. I’m assuming simply because there was no additive. I’m a guy that used 20% and 50% serum 8-12+ times a day. I could use the 100% 4 times a day and it was extremely effective. It’s alsoo more oily, so it just feels better than the saline cut versions. But yes, my assumption is it’s the saline irritating your eye...it’s probably a bit sore anyway. Do you have saline sitting around, maybe you can test my hypothesis. If pure saline burns, it may just be the sodium chloride.
                Actually the burning got better. It was only the first day. I remember someone said, it takes 3 months for the eye to create new nerves using serum. I hope this happens for me as well

Comment

Actually the burning got better. It was only the first day. I remember someone said, it takes 3 months for the eye to create new nerves using serum. I hope this happens for me as well
                  Oh that’s good..I’m wondering what that was.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

Oh that’s good..I’m wondering what that was.
                    Just to answer your question, I do not have any problem with saline. It actually feels good.

My doctor prescribe me to use the serum 5 times a day. I am using 8 times as I have seen in this from that Dr Hamrah suggested to some patient. Do you think it is safe?

Also, Have you tried Prokera?

Comment

Just to answer your question, I do not have any problem with saline. It actually feels good.

My doctor prescribe me to use the serum 5 times a day. I am using 8 times as I have seen in this from that Dr Hamrah suggested to some patient. Do you think it is safe?

Also, Have you tried Prokera?
                      I believe serum 8x a day is safe. I believe you answered your own questions in a sense. Pedram Hamrah is, by my understanding from pythonfinder, one of the leading experts on corneal neuralgia. He prescribes serum to heal damaged nerves, I’m pretty sure he does not use prokera. I have not and most likely will not use it. I’m allergic to everything and putting that ring in my eye would probably cause more inflammation than it’s worth.

That said, if you’re suffering and you can get prokera, I see very little downside. It’s expensive and uncomfortable, but that seems to be about it. Wouldn’t hurt to try. I just feel like using my own blood is safer and less imvasive...however there is an advantage to having that membrane sit on your cornea 24hrs a day. Serum can’t do that...clearly...even if you used it 100x a day...it’s not sitting on the cornea very long.

EDIT: I wonder if the burning is nerve regeneration? I know my wife had a numb/tingling/burning where she had her c section. It’s still burning 10 months later. She said it’s just burning in a smaller area, like it’s healing from the outside edges toward the center of the scar. Nerves take forever to heal apparently. When I was researching nerve damage, a lot of healing happens up to the 2 year mark...and slower but continued healing up to 5 years later. Those were lasik and PRK studies by the way. This requires patience I do not have sadly. It gives me hope though, because were probably all still healing.

Comment

ebi1368 The ophthalmologist who prescribed me serum told me that burning is a possibility. I speculate that happens if you have damage to the eye as seen during staining. In my case I had no staining but disproportional pain plus sticky eyelids. The first week was worse. Then it got better.

Here is an old thread talking about "worse before better" for serum drops patients.

Psychologically, serum drops also really helped me. I know that even if my eyes are damaged throughout the day, I have a "healing potion" to counteract that.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
                          ebi1368 The ophthalmologist who prescribed me serum told me that burning is a possibility. I speculate that happens if you have damage to the eye as seen during staining. In my case I had no staining but disproportional pain plus sticky eyelids. The first week was worse. Then it got better.

Here is an old thread talking about "worse before better" for serum drops patients.

Psychologically, serum drops also really helped me. I know that even if my eyes are damaged throughout the day, I have a "healing potion" to counteract that.
                          Great post you threw in there from tommyboy...his wife came back years later and said he grew back 30% of his nerves. I think it took a couple years. He has to keep taking serum to keep them, but leads a more normal life. Wears moisture chambers all waking hours...but there’s some hope.

Comment

Thanks hopeful_hiker and Dowork123
                            I am also considering Pokera as well. I will keep doing serum till then. I want to try all my option before trying out Scleral.

Comment

Working...
                            X