Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please, I don't know what else to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, I don't know what else to do.

Hi everyone, my name is Daniel.

Over the past 6 months I'd been diagnosed with dry eyes and it has gotten progresively worse to the point where it's honestly unbearable.
    The worst part is that no artificial tears seem to work for me. I had bought and tried every single type of Refresh brand (plus, advanced, optic, liquidgel, celluvisc, etc), Systaine Ultra, Systaine Balanced, Simulsan, Oasis tears, and a lot more but I can't find relief at all, I literally don't know how to soothe the pain other than closing my eyes and hoping the intense burning decreases.

I had been trying heat compresses, but they don't really seem to work. I'm also doing Blinking exercises as much as I can everyday.

My opthomologist recommended me to get Lipiflow as the solution for this, I was desperate and decided to actually pay for it which is $1800 and i'm on my 3rd week and a half and I have no improvement at all. Which is really depressing.

I only have 24 years old and I'm really worried because every day I feel the burning and pain is getting worse.

I can't work in the computer a lot because my eyes start to burn, I'm struggling even to type this. I dropped out of my university class because I just couldn't handle my eyes staring at the screen for longs periods of time.

I'd really appreciate any type of help and tips on what to do to find relief and help this condition, I'm relatively young and I'm very worried about my health and even my career since I'm studying to get a degree on Electriocal Engineering and will need to spend lots of time in the computer.

So I'll really appreciate any help I could get and I'm glad I found this forum.

Thanks in advance,

-Daniel
    Last edited by Daniel2; 07-Nov-2014, 21:41.

This sounds so very like my story. I couldn't even keep my eyes open. And being on computer more than five minutes made my eyes burn like hell. I m also very young like u - 23 so I thought that my eyes keep me living from my life.

One and so far only thing that has helped me are punctal plugs, all four. And that's about it. I hardly experience any symptoms. Have u had plugs?

I hope u will find that thing that helps u.

Comment

Hi Merka,

I hadn't had plugs yet, my ophthalmologist told me that it might not work because the very quality of my tears are really poor and all that it does is retain the tears in the eye.

I'll see if I can still try it out, because really I don't know what else to do.
      How is it worked for you, do you now have a normal life now and can look at the computer for longs periods of time etc? I'm glad you're doing good and found a solution, hopefully I also manage to find the one thing that works for me.

-Daniel

Comment

Hi Daniel, I'm sorry youre going through this it's awful. Has your ophthalmologist told you what type of dry eye you have? Dry eye in itself is not a diagnosis, I was told two years ago I had dry eye and for the last year due to this poor diagnosish symptoms have grown worse and worse, burning eyes, heavy gritty lids, swollen lids, photophobia, dryness. In august I was diagnosed with non obvious meibomian gland disease, this also gets called posterior blepharitis sometimes. I was put on oral doxycycline 50 mg in august for 6-9 months, after two months of taking it, the burning, photophobia, and heavy gritty eyelids has gone. I still have grittiness and dryness which is still pretty horrible but I think my eyes have improved a lot, they still get me down a lot and effect my life but not to the point earlier in year when I couldn't go to work or the cinema without being in pain. I've been doing warm compresses, currently experimenting whether they are helping or not. I have a blephasteam which I was advised to get, haven't used it yet, I'm thinking now that it might be better because the heat isn't in direct contact with my lids. I think warm compresses have been increasing the inflammation of my lids. I think I definitely had bacteria in meibomian glands as I also started using wet ones on my lids to keep them clean (they really helped to clear bacteria I think, they were making the skin around my eye sore but it beated the feeling of dryness, I used Manuka honey eye cream to soothe them). I'm really strict with lid hygiene now, nothing goes near my eyes. I'm now using tee tree face wash and I only wash my face in cold water. I've swopped the wet ones for tee tree wipes as they are less harsh on my skin. I hope this all makes sense, I've learnt a lot about my condition over the last 3 months and im still trying to get myself better, it's a horrible condition but I think you really need to know the cause of your dry eye. I would say that the doxycycline made the biggest difference to my life. Cath x
        Originally posted by Daniel2 View Post
        Hi Merka,

I hadn't had plugs yet, my ophthalmologist told me that it might not work because the very quality of my tears are really poor and all that it does is retain the tears in the eye.

I'll see if I can still try it out, because really I don't know what else to do.
        How is it worked for you, do you now have a normal life now and can look at the computer for longs periods of time etc? I'm glad you're doing good and found a solution, hopefully I also manage to find the one thing that works for me.

-Daniel
        27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

The last oph I saw said I wouldn't benefit from plugs at moment as quality of tear film was so poor. I now feel that I would benefit from Plugs now the tear film feels like it's improved, cath
          27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Hi Merka,

-Daniel
            I think u should try. What u have to lose?

I also think that it is easier to improve quality of thars than quantity. U can eat healthy, take vitamins and omega supplements. But do not overdose vith vitamind cuz overdosing can actually lead to more severe dry eye.

I also think that my quality of tears is poor, but plugs are still helping. I think I might have aqueous deficiency, because when I press on my lids then afterward my tear film looks like "oil or gasoline in water".

First, I had only lower plus, they helped a little, but I still couldn't be on computer without difficulty, but after getting uppers pluged, I can be on computer only with very little discomfort. But spending 10 hours on computer is managable. But air-con makes my eyes still burn, but less than without plugs.

How is your Shrimer score?? I remember time when my opth said that I had Shrimer 8, then my only complain was that my eyes are red (back then it was so little red) and in the morning it is hard to open eyes. Then I hit Shrimers 1 and 2 and my main sympthom was burning, when I touched my eyes they were so hot.

Plugs didn't work immedialty, it took about two weeks before my symthoms started to fade.

How long have u done hot compresses? Cuz it might also take weeks or even months before u see benefit. If your doc recommended Lipiflow, then u must have MGD, right? Maybe I would benefit from NAC?

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
              Hi Daniel, I'm sorry youre going through this it's awful. Has your ophthalmologist told you what type of dry eye you have? Dry eye in itself is not a diagnosis, I was told two years ago I had dry eye and for the last year due to this poor diagnosish symptoms have grown worse and worse, burning eyes, heavy gritty lids, swollen lids, photophobia, dryness. In august I was diagnosed with non obvious meibomian gland disease, this also gets called posterior blepharitis sometimes. I was put on oral doxycycline 50 mg in august for 6-9 months, after two months of taking it, the burning, photophobia, and heavy gritty eyelids has gone. I still have grittiness and dryness which is still pretty horrible but I think my eyes have improved a lot, they still get me down a lot and effect my life but not to the point earlier in year when I couldn't go to work or the cinema without being in pain. I've been doing warm compresses, currently experimenting whether they are helping or not. I have a blephasteam which I was advised to get, haven't used it yet, I'm thinking now that it might be better because the heat isn't in direct contact with my lids. I think warm compresses have been increasing the inflammation of my lids. I think I definitely had bacteria in meibomian glands as I also started using wet ones on my lids to keep them clean (they really helped to clear bacteria I think, they were making the skin around my eye sore but it beated the feeling of dryness, I used Manuka honey eye cream to soothe them). I'm really strict with lid hygiene now, nothing goes near my eyes. I'm now using tee tree face wash and I only wash my face in cold water. I've swopped the wet ones for tee tree wipes as they are less harsh on my skin. I hope this all makes sense, I've learnt a lot about my condition over the last 3 months and im still trying to get myself better, it's a horrible condition but I think you really need to know the cause of your dry eye. I would say that the doxycycline made the biggest difference to my life. Cath x
              Cathy, I wanted to ask, how do you know that u have bacteria in Meibomian glands? Have u been tested? Cuz one opth I saw, took a test and said that I don't have bacterial infection. I recommend have a test, then ur opth knows what kind of bacteria u have, if u have one, and what kind of antibiotics u need.

As far as I can see, doctors prescribe medication, what they have seen that their other patiens have benefited from them. But what works for most of the people, might not work for me.

Before having tested for bacterial infection, I was prescribed so many dofferent antibiotics, but nothing worked. Then it turned out, that I didn't have bacterial infection and I didn't need the antibitics at all.

Comment

Hi Cathy, my ophthalmologist told me that the tears in my eyes evaporate too quickly and that some glands very clogged. I had lipiview done and it said that the quality of the tears are pretty bad (40) and I had partial blinking on my right eye, which I'm trying to fix by doing the blinking exercises.

He also Blepharitis ruled out. Which made sense since I had been cleaning my lids for a long time and using Azasite and felt no difference really.

Every morning when I wake up I feel the best throughout the day, as the day progresses I get worse and worse to the point of being unbearable.
                It's great to hear you find something that works for you Cathy, hope you keep feeling better.

-daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Merka View Post
                  I think u should try. What u have to lose?

I also think that it is easier to improve quality of thars than quantity. U can eat healthy, take vitamins and omega supplements. But do not overdose vith vitamind cuz overdosing can actually lead to more severe dry eye.

I also think that my quality of tears is poor, but plugs are still helping. I think I might have aqueous deficiency, because when I press on my lids then afterward my tear film looks like "oil or gasoline in water".

First, I had only lower plus, they helped a little, but I still couldn't be on computer without difficulty, but after getting uppers pluged, I can be on computer only with very little discomfort. But spending 10 hours on computer is managable. But air-con makes my eyes still burn, but less than without plugs.

How is your Shrimer score?? I remember time when my opth said that I had Shrimer 8, then my only complain was that my eyes are red (back then it was so little red) and in the morning it is hard to open eyes. Then I hit Shrimers 1 and 2 and my main sympthom was burning, when I touched my eyes they were so hot.

Plugs didn't work immedialty, it took about two weeks before my symthoms started to fade.

How long have u done hot compresses? Cuz it might also take weeks or even months before u see benefit. If your doc recommended Lipiflow, then u must have MGD, right? Maybe I would benefit from NAC?
                  Hi Merka, hm I don't really know what is Shrimer score. Could you tell me what is it? All I know is that I had lipiview done and I score about 40 in quality of the tearfilm... I see that my eyes are red too, specially in the back of my lower lids because of the constant pain and can't find any way to relieve it at all, so each week it's getting more red and worse overall.

Also I had been doing compresses for 2 months now, I see no difference really. My doctor told me hat I had Evaporative dry eye and that I had many clogged glands that aren't working properly with a toothpaste-like substance when he applied pressure, so It sounds also like I have MGD.

I heard a lot of people talk about NAC, so I think I might try it and it isn't that expensive. Would you think that would help me with that symptons I described?

Thanks Merka,

-Daniel

Comment

Hi Daniel, same here, only 26 and I really feel my life is over. I've tried tons of things too, with no or just very little improvement. I don't know how to cope anymore, I gave up on all my projects, goals etc. I don't go out anymore with my friends, ignore their messages/calls, and don't even think about dating guys anymore. I wear sunglasses 24/24, can't wear makeup anymore, well... and my depression is getting worse evreryday. Honestly, I don't think I will be able to live like this anymore. Sorry to vent, but I just don't know what to say

Comment

Dominorose, You were thinking this might be part of something like a thyroid condition? We know you are very careful with your healthy diet but hopefully that includes plenty of good carbs. Are you using vitamin and mineral supplements? If it is the hormones, biochemical imbalance can lead to depression in itself, my friend tells me, just to compound the worry about maintaining your eyes well. When we are perfectionist, it takes a while to come to terms with the eye troubles and we need all the medical support we can get.

Do you have the type of counsellor who helps you think it through to good solutions, like cognitive behaviour therapy? Many inspiring people live with difficulties.

I have many elderly people around now and it is astonishing how plenty good nutritious warm food affects their well-being and health. Sometimes it's about finding people who understand with health conditions, and that's a two-way thing like a support group to go to. My friend's daughter went through difficult times like this, got medicated, saw a CB therapist and attended groups, and now she is starting training, so benefits there.
                      Last edited by littlemermaid; 24-Nov-2014, 03:49.
                      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I've been where you are - not able to do ANYTHING it seemed, other than keep my eyes shut and listen to audiobooks. At one point, would not have been able to work at all, and when eyes improved a bit, I could only handle working 4 hours at a time, and never 2 days in a row... (I needed a day off in between to allow my eyes to recover).

I've written a lot about pretty much everything I've gone through on the forums... the short cut would be to look for threads started by me, and you'll get the gist of it.

Anyhow, the short version is that I was at my worst in 2009. Unable to use the computer (I allowed myself a strict limit of 15 minutes per day to check e-mail... that's it). Unable to read. Unable to work during the worst of it. Eyes burned almost every waking minute. Unable to tolerate keeping my eyes open for an entire day (had to rest them, keeping them shut, for several waking hours most days.) I, too, gave up on all of my projects temporarily... I had no choice since my eyes simply could not tolerate the work.

And now, it's 2014, and for almost 2 years now I've been able to tolerate computer use of 4-6 hours a day (sometimes more), and my eyes are comfortable most of the time (as long as I take precautions, including moisture chambers). I'm productive again. Life is good.

So even though it royally sucks right now, hang in there, be patient, find whatever joy you can right now, and DO NOT GIVE UP. This is a blip in your life... sure, you may spend a year, or 2 or whatever having eyes that drive you insane, but once you figure out a solution, you'll have DECADES ahead of you to enjoy. That is what makes it worth fighting to figure out what is wrong with your eyes.

The first thing I'd do is read the DEWS report chapter on the management of dry eye, then the diagnosis part: http://www.tearfilm.org/dewsreport/p...DEWS-noAds.pdf

Another source of info I found very helpful is Dr. Latkany's Book, "The Dry Eye Remedy" - he does a great job of explaining everything. http://www.amazon.com/The-Dry-Eye-Re...pr_product_top It's available in Kindle format also, which might be easier on the eyes to read since you can increase the font size (many people with dry eyes find reading large font less irritating than small fonts)... you don't need a kindle to read Kindle books, can download the desktop kindle reader free from Amazon.

Between those 2 sources of info, you should be off to a good start.

No-one, not even the best doctor, will take more of an interest in fixing your eyes than you will, so it's in your best interest to become an expert on the available treatment options. It's not hard. You just have to take the time to read up on it If your eyes hurt, then do a little bit at a time, when you are up to it... eventually you'll get through it. Then you are in a better position to make decisions about what treatments to pursue, and also you'll be in a better position to judge whether or not your doctor is doing the right things.

As for how to cope in the meantime, remember you're not alone - we get it. Lots of us have been where you are, and come out the other side ok in the end.

And what helped me is to practice NOT dwelling on what I couldn't control, not dwelling on how much it sucked, not thinking about all the things I was missing out on - just don't allow your mind to go there - the more you practice it, the easier it gets.

Instead, practice thinking of all the things that would be worse, and how grateful you are that at least you aren't dealing with those things. And then, find whatever small things you can be happy about right now, and hang on to that. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake of comparing your life to that of normal people, since the comparison will only make you feel worse.

And when your eyes are up to it (and they will be, sometimes), continue to research possible causes of your condition, and ways to treat it. Eventually, you'll figure something out.

Comment

Hi Daniel,
                          I am thinking there are a couple of things you could try: Cliradex eye scrubs for Demodex mites (kind of expensive but not like Lipiflow is expensive...), TheraTears Nutrition, or a comparable Omega 3 supplement, and changing your diet to see if you might have Ocular Rosacea or food allergies. Try cutting out the foods on this list and see if you notice a difference: http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php. You might also need Doxycycline or Minocycline if you have Rosacea. (Ocular Rosacea is hard to diagnose.)

I understand what your doc is saying about plugs, but I'd try them anyway. Sometimes more moisture helps loosen up the oils. I wear inexpensive moisture retaining goggles, and that helps quite a bit with the pain. I think you are going to need more moisture before your eyes will feel more comfortable, even if oil is a problem. Best wishes to you. You are young, so that is in your favor. Best wishes to you.

Comment

Your not alone, I been dealing with my condition for about 7 years. I'm hoping that the Prokera procedure will give some type of relief. I get depressed too and can't wear my makeup as I'd like. It does effect my daily living, I don't want to go out anywhere or do anything. I hope you find some type of relief as well.

Comment

Hi Cathy, my ophthalmologist told me that the tears in my eyes evaporate too quickly and that some glands very clogged. I had lipiview done and it said that the quality of the tears are pretty bad (40) and I had partial blinking on my right eye, which I'm trying to fix by doing the blinking exercises.

He also Blepharitis ruled out. Which made sense since I had been cleaning my lids for a long time and using Azasite and felt no difference really.

Every morning when I wake up I feel the best throughout the day, as the day progresses I get worse and worse to the point of being unbearable.
                              It's great to hear you find something that works for you Cathy, hope you keep feeling better.

-daniel
                              Hi Daniel,

I was where you are a little less than a year ago, and what brought me almost immediate and lasting relief was moisture chamber glasses. I know it stinks even thinking of having to wear them at 24, but it beats being in pain and unable to function, believe me. If your tears evaporate too quickly these will go a long way to stop that from happening. You can get a pair of sunglasses with very dark lenses, outdoors during the day no one will be the wiser. Also a pair of clear (or one pair with either interchangeable lenses or lenses that self-adjust to changing light) for indoors. Wear them as much as you can, like when you are home. The more you wear them the more they will help.

I would also recommend Tranquileyes Onyx goggles or some other protection for sleeping, and some ointment before you put those on. Lastly I will mention that I had Lipiflow also and felt absolutely no change for a full four weeks, and it was eight weeks before I felt the full benefit. So there's still a little hope you might get some relief from that. Keep doing the compresses and blinking exercises, which also take some time to work, and don't give up. Do everything you can to control the inflammation (the glasses and goggles at night) and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Above all get the moisture chambers and don't give up. Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X