Why do I have incomplete blinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do I have incomplete blinks?

My partner was the first to notice that my blinks were not right. I have been recording my blinks since spring from time to time with a slow motion camera on my phone. Unless I concentrate on the blinks, I close my eyes 60-75% at most. I feel like I blink fully but I do not.

If I blink deliberately I still do not always close my eyes all the way. I have to blink forcefully to achieve 100% blinks.

My eyes are structurally normal with very mild to nonexistent logathamos in the left eye. My lids are not floppy or short. When I sleep my eyes are closed. I have never worn contact lenses.

Why do I have incomplete blinks?

What kinds of exercises helped you?

Have you done lipiview? It is probably better measurment compared to your phone.

I also have partial blinking but mine is due to nerve that were cut after lasik. I have been doing blinking exercise but I do not know if they have helped me or not. My dry eye did not get any better for sure.

Comment

I had lipiview last week and was told I did partial blinking as well.

They said that unless I was born like that ie. unable to blink naturally, the most likely reason is long periods of computer use over a long period of time. Apparently they see it alot in men in their 20s who have spent their teenage years playing computer games for hours on end.

Personally I do spend alot of time in front of the computer for my job, so it is likely partial blinking has become a bad habit. It is hard to now remind myself to blink properly.

So I am also interested in getting some good tips.

I was looking today online for a wrist band which would give me small electric shocks to remind me to blink?!

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post
        Have you done lipiview? It is probably better measurment compared to your phone.
        No, I have not. I don’t know who would do it locally. Unfortunately, my incomplete blinks are so obvious, I can see them just via recording myself.

Alix I am 29 so I’ve spent a fair bit of time in front of the screen but nothing crazy. I think when I got the office job that’s when I’ve spent a lot of time in front of the screen.

So you are saying it may be a habit?

Comment

I also consider it is a habit. Good to get LipiView or other tools done to know the exact status.
          If your lipi layer thickness is high, say 80, then your blinking should not be too bad??

Blink reminder
          Dr Korb mentioned in his 2016 video something the screen will become dark when the time set is up but he did not mention the name of the software. Anyone knows such program?

Comment

Yes, when you spend hours in front a computer with very little breaks, naturally you are blinking less and doing partial blinks because you are staring at the screen.
            So it becomes natural. You need to retrain yourself to do full blinks (easier said than done).

In addition to computer work, I spend alot of time looking at my smartphone which must have been a contributing factor.

When I do full blinks I can definitely feel a difference, my eyes feel more moist. But I have have to force myself to do this.

Comment

MGD1701 Not sure but I have an MacBook, and Iphone where you can adjust the settings so that the screen becomes dark at night time so you don't strain your eyes.
              There must be the same option for other devices like this.

Comment

Thanks Alix. Dr Korb does not mean this. He meant the screen becomes dark so we are forced NOT to use computer - he considers this is a good practice. I think so too but no idea name of the software.

I currently using this. which is not too bad.
                http://www.protectyourvision.org/

Comment

Hi Alix, I find moisture glasses with lens which can absore blue light is much comfortable.

Comment

@MGD1701 I see that is an interesting concept. I guess it is good practice but it isn't very practical for people who are using their computers for work.
                    I personally cannot have the screen going dark when I'm in the middle of something important.

Comment

@MGD1701 Thank you they sound very comfortable but because I can no longer wear contact lenses, I have to wear glasses.
                      If I wore the moisture glasses only I wouldn't be able to see anything.....

Comment

Easy, just wear two glasses or with your prescribtion.
                        Blue light is really bad for eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

I also have partial blinking but mine is due to nerve that were cut after lasik. I have been doing blinking exercise but I do not know if they have helped me or not. My dry eye did not get any better for sure.
                          I’m going to speculate this is my problem also. Not from Lasik, but from an injury. I had a debridement on the left eye and not the right. The left eye now is smooth most of the time. The left eyelid blinks almost fully. No issues with pain or paralyzed ion in the lid. The right eye however had no debridement. The rough patch behind my upper eyelid was never scraped clean. I Believe the nerves there are interacting with the lid in a weird way. So the lid is malfunctioning. I’m afraid I may need a debridement in the right eye now. Ugh! So I believe the nerve damage effects the blink.

Comment

Dowork123 do you feel discomfort when blinking?

Comment

Bump!

Would love to hear from the community about blinking exercises.

Comment

Working...
                              X