No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried azasite/azithromycin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried azasite/azithromycin?

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with azithromycin/azasite. I have posterior blepharitis, my left eye is ok but the lid of my right eye is always inflamed and thickens a random time during the day, my eye lid is very red and sore.

Does azithromycin bring down this type of inflammation

Ive been on 50mg doxycyline for 4 months, using blephasteam goggles for 2 months, tea tree wipes for 2 months, they have helped a lot but I cant break this cycle of inflammation. Any advice would be brilliant.

I would really appreciate any help.

Best wishes

Cath
    27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

I've been on both at various times and in the beginning stages of my disease, they were helpful but neither one helps at the stage I'm currently at.

I've found that cool, green tea bags can help with severe inflammation (if I've been "crying") sometimes but they don't help much with the regular, daily stuff for me.

I wonder if you tapered back on the blephasteam goggles and tea tree wipes a bit? It's possible that some of the redness and soreness of the one eye is due to irritation. Unfortunately, some treatments can cause other issues so you have to find your own balance between treating / managing your dry eye symptoms and the side effects that may occur as a result of those treatments.

Comment

Thanks for your reply potato cakes, I will try the cool green tea bags. Could you tell me about the stage youre at now? I feel like im passing through stages and im finding hard to make sense of it all. I was in constant pain 6 months ago, gritty eyelids, burning, dry, blurred vision, light sensitivity, my eyes look liked deserts.

Now the burning sensation only comes on very rarely, i get mild gritttiness, lids always thickened along the bottom.

I fear that when I stop taking the doxycycline it will go back to how it was

Cath

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
      I've been on both at various times and in the beginning stages of my disease, they were helpful but neither one helps at the stage I'm currently at.

I've found that cool, green tea bags can help with severe inflammation (if I've been "crying") sometimes but they don't help much with the regular, daily stuff for me.

I wonder if you tapered back on the blephasteam goggles and tea tree wipes a bit? It's possible that some of the redness and soreness of the one eye is due to irritation. Unfortunately, some treatments can cause other issues so you have to find your own balance between treating / managing your dry eye symptoms and the side effects that may occur as a result of those treatments.

Comment

Yes, Cath. I tried Azasite, and was allergic to it. My eyes ended up being incredibly inflamed. I'd try the tea bags first. Also, check what you are eating. Diet is a huge factor for me. No sugar, low carbs, and try eliminating stuff on the Rosacea food list. http://www.rosacea.org/patients/materials/triggers.php What I eat impacts inflammation more than anything else. I also stay away from foods high in histamines, like spinach. It is a real drag, but can make a huge difference in fighting inflammation.

Comment

What stage am I at ... I've had dry eye for more than a decade and I'm not really sure how I'd describe my stage. Any tears I produce are so minimal the only thing that's left for me is to manage my symptoms to keep my eyes from further damage and discomfort. I'm on serum drops and they have been great although I also have PROSE and when I go through rough periods (winter), I wear them to help keep me comfortable. I've been wearing them a lot lately. I wish I'd known earlier in my disease what I know now. I would kept talking to doctors until I found one that would really work to help me. Maybe if I'd had better treatment when I was in the early stages, I wouldn't be so bad now. Or maybe not. It's hard to tell and this disease isn't well-known compared to others. I'm hopeful there will be more paths to manage this disease in the future, maybe a cure too. In the meantime, I'm so thankful I have my current doctor, serum drops and this group!

Comment

Hi Potato Cakes and La Diva,

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I too wish Id known what I know now two years ago. Ive had problems for 8 years now, at first I think it was just a bit of aqueous tear deficienct but last two years isnt definitely been posterior blepharitis.

I hope more treatment becomes available for us, its an awful disease.

Cath xx

Comment

WHAT ARE SERUM DROPS, PC? - I'VE NOT HEARD OF THIS?

I'm on Azasite and I have MGD Retain over the counter drops - (I am Severe MGD , Blapharitis with mild Rosecea and lower ducts Perm. Cautery)

Comment

Working...
              X