Does anyone here also have IBS...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here also have IBS...?

I have IBS for about 15 years now and I developed dry eyes 3 years ago. I have managed my IBS with laxatives effectively for quite a while now however I have just looked up one of my laxatives online and read the side effects and I can't believe one of them is 'eye irritation' and also nose irritation (I have had a blocked nose for the last few years too). The side effects listed on the actual laxative packet doesn't mention anything like this and my doctors have said theres not a chance that this laxative could cause dry eyes but 'irritation' is still one of the listed side effects online on many different trusted websites. The laxative I'm talking about is Fybogel who's main ingredient is Ispaghula husk and I have been taking this for ages now, probably 1-2 years before my dry eyes even started. Is it possible this is the cause? Does anyone else take a laxative like this and did you start taking it before your dry eyes came along?

Thanks

No, but there is some school of thought out that says that the gut, which is comprised of mucosa, and eyes (which are also lined with mucosa) could be interrelated. Long shot? I'm not sure of any studies. If IBS is your concern, you may consider tackling it by also looking into the low FODMAPS diet, if you haven't already. Basically, there are certain sugars, such as fructose, and sugar alcohols, that must be avoided or eaten in moderation to prevent IBS attacks. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out why apples, watermelon, and Splenda made me sick, and then I discovered fructose malabsorption. Mystery solved.

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Comment

Hi. Yes, I'd been diagnosed with IBS years ago only to see a naturopath and discover IBS is NOT A DIAGNOSIS. It means your gut is not working properly for a REASON. I discovered I had several and severe food allergies. Once I cut out those foods and started supplementing with probiotics regularly - zero IBS. It can affect your eyes as can laxatives. Chronic laxative use is not a good idea, but getting to the core issue of your IBS is. You could have Celiac Disease, or Food Allergies, or a parasite. Try being tested for these and changing your diet accordingly. You might find great relief for both your gut issues and your Dry Eye issues.

Comment

Working...
      X