Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which to try first - Freshkote? Prokera? Mibiflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which to try first - Freshkote? Prokera? Mibiflow?

Freshkote, Prokera & Mibiflow all sound promising. Question is - in which sequence to try them?

For example, someone with ultra-sensitive eyes should perhaps try Freshkote first, to heal enough so that Prokera insertion should hurt less?

And then try Prokera, so that Mibiflow should hurt less? Or would Mibiflow re-damage the Prokera-healed eyes?
    CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

so...I take it nobody has a clue?

sigpic

Comment

Minni,
      I would have my doctor try a non-device amniotic membrane(not ProKera). The two I would suggest or IOP or Aril. This would accomplish two things: Break the negative feedback loop to the brain and Give your cornea a new layer of epithelial cells. This new layer would then hold the aqueous on the ocular surface. I would bypass the meibomian gland procedures and try the EyeEco Tranquileyes goggles 10 minutes each day for two weeks. I would also use the OASIS Tears Plus eyedrops.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
        Minni,
        I would have my doctor try a non-device amniotic membrane(not ProKera). The two I would suggest or IOP or Aril. This would accomplish two things: Break the negative feedback loop to the brain and Give your cornea a new layer of epithelial cells. This new layer would then hold the aqueous on the ocular surface. I would bypass the meibomian gland procedures and try the EyeEco Tranquileyes goggles 10 minutes each day for two weeks. I would also use the OASIS Tears Plus eyedrops.
        Why would you try a non-Prokera membrane? What is the advantage?

Comment

indrep, thanks for the feedback! BTW, I was sure I'd read a member post about mibiflow, but I must have remembered incorrectly. Maybe it was something else (no, not lipiflow, but something else - I forget which).

I also have JJdryeye's question - as well as wondering why Oasis tears plus is better than Hycosan or Optive or Freshkote..

...though I actually just found out from the eye doc. that my cornea is [according to him] OK, but he did jot down in my records something about spheroidal degeneration.

As for the tranquileyes plus tears - do you mean that just 10 min. of that plus [whichever eyedrops] for 10-min. each day for two weeks can substitute for meiobian clearing? I do own tranquileyes (which irritate my burnt-lids due to the foam rimming them).
          ..But I've a feeling my glands are hardened from radiation, similar to hardening of arteries, thus perhaps beyond remediation? No less than I'm convinced my darkened eyelids are radiation burn. After all, my spheroidal degeneration is proof of intense radiation (which I know I incurred during that horrible period more than a decade ago, when I was using a new Samsung LCD monitor recommended by misguided online techies due to its high-refresh rate. Just shows how VERY misguided pro's can be.
          Last edited by Minni; 02-Mar-2015, 15:14.

sigpic

Comment

JJ
            The reason to try a non device amniotic membrane has several discussion points.
            Understanding inflammation on the ocular surface is important. A source/cause of inflammation on the ocular surface can originate from a hypertonic(too salty) tear film. When a foreign body (ProKera) is in the eye many patients complain of discomfort. Discomfort in the eye leads to reflex tears which are high in salt content. Thus the negative feedback loop is not broken. The other concern is DMSO is the storage medium for the device and if not completely washed off during thawing can be an irritant to the eye and more reflex tears.

Minni
            The moist heat therapy by the tranquilness goggles will not express the meibomian glands. The moist heat for ten minutes with massage can express the now liquified meibum. This is accomplished for a lot less money than the MiBoflow or LipiFlow.

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
              Minni
              The moist heat therapy by the tranquilness goggles will not express the meibomian glands. The moist heat for ten minutes with massage can express the now liquified meibum. This is accomplished for a lot less money than the MiBoflow or LipiFlow.
              Thanks for giving me the correct spelling (miBOflow) which is how I finally got to respond here:
              http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...5799#post95799

As of now, I just got done last week with my follow-up visit to a practically non-vocal optho.
              He mostly grunts. It's only thru his newb P.A. that I found out:

(1) He conducted these tests:
              Tearlab, via paddles, tear film (dye strips) which he said was clear, dilation to check optic nerve and retina.
              All I seem to gather is that everything is supposed to be wonderful, except for requiring some strong glasses, and except that I have "dry eyes". The dry eye part was grunted at me during my first visit

(2) He had jotted down in his notes about me:
              Spheroidal degeneration, and fibromyalgia (the latter I had told him). I refused to tell him that a previous optho suspected Blepharitis all because I said my lids were itchy, and they're darkish looking indicative of burn. I did tell the P.A. that I suspect burnt lids, and that the spheroid degen. PLUS burnt-lids are both probably from radiation exposure.

So in a nutshell, the optho's in my locale are useless.
              I need to be MY OWN assessor - which is:
              I feel hardening of the meiobian glands.
              I know I have spheroidal degen. (due to the optho's jottings which he's not taking seriously)
              I know I have dry eyes from how i feel, as well as the optho's grunt.
              I had phoned the P.A. asking him to get back to me re: my exact diagnoses.
              I've yet to get a call back. I didn't yet get a chance to follow up again.

I don't have the strength anymore in my life to go running farther afield to other cats-in-bags who charge big bucks.
              Basically, I'm livid at the system, as y'all know, and which at least one of you is peeved at for some reason.
              And yes, I do take issue at that, but don't dare, for obvious reasons.
              But I'm not alone in my being upset, I relate to Philips55, justbob and many others who are just as upset.
              So what to do next, that's the question.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X