X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** DESPERATE *** Please be kind Read & Help

Hello everyone.

Just a quick two lines introduction:
    I have issues with my eyes (dry eyes?) issues for the past 3 years or so.
    My eyesight has always been BETTER than 6:6. An EAGLE's eyesight if you will
    I am always turned to by people if they drop something on the floor and can't find it.
    My eyesight is still pin-sharp, UNLESS I am after a recent corneal erosion attack, after which it takes about 3 weeks until I regain my full eyesight.

So far I have had about 5 times in which I woke up in the morning and HAD TO BE taken to the Eye Clinic due to severe intolerable eye pain (usually in my right eye, but sometimes in my left eye as well). At the eye clinic the doc would put pain killing drops on my eyes and then put these 'bandage' like eye contacts in which I had to wear without taking them off for several weeks, sometimes for a month or more.

I have REPEAT CORNEAL EROSIONS due to what my doc refers to as LOOSE EPITHELIAL hence it gets injured sometimes when I wake up in the morning due to my EYELIDS SCRATCHING the CORNEAL which as I was explained easily gets scratched due to my loose epithelial.

When I am off the medical contact lenses my doc says i should put an ointment before I go to bed, which I do. I know these ointments are not good as they remove the natural protective eye film but I have no choice

I have to take Hylocomod eye drops (made in Germany) they are preservative free Hyaluronic acid (http://www.ursapharm.de/en/products/...re/hylo-comod/)
    I sometimes take these drops and put them every 30-60 minutes!!! I don't even care about the hassle anymore. My problem is that even with all that I still have issues.

I will also note that I always always sleep with the Tranquileyes and that lately have also bought the DryEyesZone Rice Baggy and use it every night for 10 minutes before putting the tranquileyes before sleep.

((Is it SAFE to put the Can-C drops on my eyes while the medical contact lenses are on them ? Can these Can-C eyedrops actually worsen my eyes in my case ? I know they also containt Benzyl-Alcohol as preservative. Anyway this is something I just started about 14 days ago, but am thinking about maybe stopping as maybe just maybe it worsen things up?))

Lately I have gone to a DIFFERENT DOC trying my luck with another one. That was 14 days ago. That doc said my glands were clogged and he had cleaned them (was a bit painful experience), (the first doc never mentioned anything about blocked ducts).

This new doc also put plugs in my ducts and also put bandage contact lenses on my eyes. However still 2 weeks into I began feeling discomfort and seeing very blurry, I called the doc and he said the blurriness is probably due to the lenses getting dirty due to the cleaned ducts and I should come next week to have them replaced, but today I got DESPITE the lenses severe right eye pain, a corneal abrasion I suspect as the same super painful experience I've had before. I had to put capacious amounts of eye drops, rest a lot with eye closed and the pain subsided.

I called my new doc yesterday due to the pains and he asked me in a nonchalant that I myself will remove the contact lenses that he put me two weeks ago! I was shocked, because the first doc which I went to, always told me I should never try to remove these contact lenses myself as due to my loose epithelial I may also remove my epithelial during the process!!! And that I should only ask him to do it.
    So I told this new doc that I was once told by another doc, that I should never do this myself (like this new doc suggested). And now the indifferent new doc, said that it may be true that I should instead come to him to remove it! (Has I been average joe and listened to the doc and tried to remove it myself I may have damaged my eyes). So now this makes this new doc not really trustable i my opinion.

I will also mention that I started two week ago to put Can-C eye drops as I have heard they can also accelerate healing of the eyes due to their anti inflammatory nature. So have started to put 4 drops into each eye daily.

I am DESPERATE. Totally desperate.

LASER SURGERY
    The first doc recommended I do LASER SURGERY and I will have a good chance that after the therapy my epithelial will be strongly bounded to the corneal so I may not have issues anymore. I am very reluctant to do it.

The problem is, A) It's not guaranteed to work. B) And more major issue, is that there is a GOOD CHANCE of 40% of so that my eye-sight would be slightly degraded PERMANENTLY FOR LIFE, after this surgery. This is VERY intimidating. I am a videographer that needs to have excellent eyesight as I am to have pinsharp eysight in order to do manual focus (cinematography requires manual focusing, NOT auto focus). So I have to relay on my eyesight! I am terrified of not being able to see good enough, plus the surgery may not even guarantee success. I can end up even worse (having all the issues I currently have plus losing part of my eye sight permanently).

SCARING CORNEAL (forgive me for wrong terms)
    Was suggested also by the doc as an option to have the corneal pined with micro pins that deliberately make scars, so that the epithelial will bind better to the coreal after the scars. It's not guaranteed to work and also I am not keen on doing it.

SHARPENNING Like Laser but cheaper as my doc explained (may not be the appropriate medical term but doesn't matter)
    This was recommended by the second doc. But this second doc didn't make a good impression on me, as he thought it wouldn't matter so much if my eyesight will not be as good as before. He didn't understand the importance of very good eyesight in my job.

I am DESPERATE!!!
    So money is not an issue, just want to function properly day to day.

I just want to not having issues and not risk my eyesight for life.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and your help is appreciated.

(I apologize for typos/grammer mistakes, writing off my mind morning after last nights attack)

Are your current docs eye surgeons? Either way it sounds like it's time for a consultation (or 2nd opinion) with an eye surgeon that is recommended in your area. Just to get a better picture of your options and the success/side effects rate. Try calling eye clinics that don't have surgeons on staff and see if you can get some referrals (I say not on staff because then there is no bias). And look up online reviews for ones you find.

Comment

Stop Dry, are you in the USA?

Comment

L8rgator: Both docs are Ophthalmologists from different clinics. I believe both are surgeons as they also do PTK and PRK. So already had second opinion from a professor.
        LaDiva : Not in the U.S.

I just returned now from the first doc, he said they have a new laser that compensates for the cutting of the cornea and that way minimizes the chance of hurting the eyesight slightly which is something that may happen after the surgery.

He also mentioned a new treatment he just read about that uses alcohol put on the epithelial for 30 seconds which then causes the epithelial to be naturally regenerated, and that procedure should not have any side effects of loosing some eyesight as do with the laser option.

These options (Laser or Alcohol Corneal treatment) will strengthen my epithelial and thus will prevent these awful mornings when I am afraid to wake up as to have an erosion. These aren't treatments for the dry eyes, The dry eyes will stay, These are only as to avoid the repeat erosions. Which I had about 7 very serious ones so far for the past 3 years that required going to the clinic to put contact lenses as the pain was excruciating.

Comment

StopDry, maybe ask the 2 ophthalmologists how much success they have had treating recurrent corneal erosions with the different techniques. It's always nice to find someone who is skilled and experienced at healing one's particular problem. There's a 'Recurrent Corneal Erosion' group on Facebook if you want to ask them how they got on with different treatments.
          Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Working...
          X