Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a connection between acne and dry eye/mgd? My son and I both have both

I've battled with acne since I was about 15 and I'm now 37. I've had dry eye (and everything that goes along with it) since my late 20s. My son, who is 7.5, has dry eye and clogged meibomian glands and is now developing acne. He takes an omega supplement every day, eats very little sugar, but lots of very healthy food. Otherwise is a very healthy child. I'm just wondering if there is some overactive gland connection or something like that. I am disappointed I gave him inheritance of both problems!

Hi Tiff, Flaxseed and fishoil supplement made my daughter's acne worse and flared her eyes up. Where on his face are the signs and rashes? Does he have spots around the eyes? Could be allergy, eg around nose, mouth, eyes? I keep looking up dyslipidemia and digestive issues but getting nowhere. Is he still on the steroid inhaler and could it be related?
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hi Tiff, I am starting to think there is a connection between the spots I get on my cheek bones and my blepharitis/mgd. I've had these little white spots on my cheeks for the last couple of years (when my eyes have been at worst), theyre not like pimples, they dont seem to get a head on them they just kind of stay there and get bigger, but pus does come out (sorry to be so detailed). I have been using tea tree face wash for 2 months now and taking doxycyline, these spots have started to go. I found out a couple of weeks ago that I had demodex in my lashes. I wonder whether the demodex have been causing these spots on my cheeks too as I read somewhere that demodex come out and mate on the skins surrounding the eyes. I hope you get to the bottom of it, Cath x
      27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

Cath, what's your cholestorol like? My husband's family all have very early arcus senilis (age 50s) but almost normal cholestorol levels and physically thin/normal. I am 100% sure there's is some fat metabolism issue, maybe junior inherited.

Comment

My son's acne is strictly on his nose. He has many clogged pores and tiny pimples there. Mine is my nose, forehead, and chin. Our cholesterol is normal. Good to see you, littlemermaid!

Comment

No, he's not on an inhaler, that's my daughter.

Don't we need fish/flax oil though for the MGD?

Comment

Mermaid, I think you are right on target. My eye doctor said he read recently where meibomian problems may be linked to cholesterol. I do have high cholesterol (although not extremely high), and weird issues with oil in the pores on my head and face. It comes and goes, and is definitely tied to food and not just rosacea triggers. Olive oil is the only cooking oil I can use. This has gotten worse over the past five years. I do think it has to do with metabolizing fats.

Comment

I have the acne form of rosacea as well as ocular rosacea. That's what it sounds like to me. I do not have many broken blood vessels. The link shows some of the forms of rosacea:
                http://www.rosaceafacts.com/rosacea-...treatment.aspx

Comment

I have very mild rosacea and acne that is not acne rosacea. My son doesn't have rosacea, but occasionally gets eczema on his back. My t-zone area is always full of clogged pores no matter what I do. I eat well and don't wear makeup or use anything clogging on my face at all.

Comment

Tiff, a Paediatric Rheumatologist agreed my daughter probably has 'steroid-induced rosacea dermatitis' (search PubMed for children who have used topical steroids around the face, either cream or inhaler), which to a rheumatologist looks like steroid rebound. It appears in children with various periorificial rashes or not, same time or later, and MGD. Genetically, the 'rosacea' genotype is susceptible. As genetic databases improve, susceptibility will be more easily demonstrated and meds will be tailored. This is why hydrocortisone was removed from the antifungal product my daughter was prescribed for extended use. All specialties we've seen are open about these side effects except dermatology, general practice, and paediatrician prescribers. Dermatologists have easily distinguished teenage acne (she has almost none) from the difficult rosacea p&p acne purely around the nose, mouth, lips and chronic swollen red nose which has developed. When the eye problems started, she had no skin signs and local ophthalmologists diagnosed viral eye infection (wrong). Just to compare, she has no immediate allergy signs like your little lad - her rosacea reactions are mostly delayed or accumulative after foods, skin products, sun. Our view is, if the eyes are well managed and she feels good, we are very happy. Love to you both x
                    Last edited by littlemermaid; 24-Feb-2015, 06:46.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                      Cath, what's your cholestorol like? My husband's family all have very early arcus senilis (age 50s) but almost normal cholestorol levels and physically thin/normal. I am 100% sure there's is some fat metabolism issue, maybe junior inherited.
                      Interesting. I've battled high cholesterol for years. Hmmmm.... One more thing to address.

Comment

Working...
                      X