This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this MGD?

Hi people i would greatly appriciate some help with a queistion i have. I´ve problems with my eyes for around 7 months now.

I´ve been to 3 different eye doctors, none of them very good or helpfull. They only confirm i have an inflamed eyelid and do not recognize why.

The symptoms are gritty tired eyes, burning sensation, light sensitivity and sometimes itchy eyelid. for 4 months i´ve been waking up in the morning with a very uncofortable feeling in my eyes, probably because of dryness(also have a theory this is not dryness but instead inflammation). The symptoms are very much worse in wind, cold weather, after a long day, or when drinking.

I´ve tried a LOT of eyedrops and gels none of them make it better or help them feel good in the morning. Warm compresses seem to improve the condition. Also flushing the eyes with saline solution seem to be helpfull after compress. Have also been eating omega 3, flaxseed oil for 1 months.

I think the symptoms and the fact warm compresses help indicate MGD. I do also think my glands look blocked or at least inflamed, my question is, what do you guys think? Any help right now would be worth a million. Pictures bellow.

Photo 1: http://postimg.org/image/5lox396el/
    Photo 2: http://postimg.org/image/4psfnswq5/
    Photo 3: http://postimg.org/image/68ntss3al/
    Photo 4: http://postimg.org/image/8890xxmzx/
    Photo 5: http://postimg.org/image/720fle9bh/
    Yes, looks like MGD to me.
    100.00%
    it´s something else.
    0.00%
    No, your eyelids look normal
    0.00%

Hi Seth,
    I would suggest you check the "Plug a Doc" section of this forum, and see if there is a recommended doctor in your area. You might also post your location and see if anyone can suggest a doctor who has helped them. You definitely have inflammation, and inflammation can cause problems with the oil glands. You could have ocular rosacea, an infection, MGD, tear deficiency and any number of other things or combination of things. You need a good doctor who can give you a solid diagnosis. You can also check out the section about how to get better care from your doctor: http://dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/coping101part2.html and diagnosis: http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/diagnosis.html- Sending good wishes to you, and best of luck.

Comment

I voted MGD (look a bit like my eyelids, though mine are better in the day and bad during night), supposedly 80%+ of dry eye is MGD, so probably a safe guess. Do you think the omega 3 helps? you didn't mention.
      prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

Comment

Hi LaDivia. My doctor has acually tested for infection so i can rule that out. Also my tear flow is pretty normal, but they evaporate too quickly acording to his tests. I live in Sweden so finding a private doctor here is pretty hard i belive. We get it cheap but can´t choose as much.

Comment

My eyes are also worse at night! When i wake up it feels like tear flow starts in like 5 minutes with open eyes. Still symptoms during day thought. I don´t think omega has done much yet. When i stoped with conservative eye drops i got improvement. Also not using eyedrops at all acually helps me in combination with warm compress.

Comment

I think your going to need some doxycycline. How is the look of your skin? Do you have obvious redness? I have MGD and I know how painful it is. Be sure to be eating really clean if you have rosacea. It makes a difference for me, but I really need my doxy. Also, I know you are cleaning the lids but really be sure to clean them intensely, more than once a day. Bacteria is the devil and really builds up. You will get better, it just takes time and patience. Keep telling yourself you will get better, if you keep up with the treatments, you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
              I think your going to need some doxycycline. How is the look of your skin? Do you have obvious redness? I have MGD and I know how painful it is. Be sure to be eating really clean if you have rosacea. It makes a difference for me, but I really need my doxy. Also, I know you are cleaning the lids but really be sure to clean them intensely, more than once a day. Bacteria is the devil and really builds up. You will get better, it just takes time and patience. Keep telling yourself you will get better, if you keep up with the treatments, you will.
              Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
              Hi thanks for your reply Faith. It´s interessting you think doxy might help, because lately thats the idéa i´ve thought most about. Talked to one of my eye doctors about it but he said it is only used against bacterial infections which i do not have. BUT i´ve heard a lot of doctors use it in other cases too! Also this was the worst of my doctors, we don´t communicate very well at all.

If you mean redness of my facial skin in general, i acually have normal color, except i flush pretty much at my chin area when i get warm/drink. Therefor ofcourse iv'e been thinking of roscea, but my doctor did not think this because my skin is completely normal mostly. Is doxy used against ocular roscea by the way? The skin inside my eyelids is red, more red at bad days, and less red in the inner corners where i the glands also look normal.

I do not have obvious crusts or secretions lately, but when i do warm comress morning and evening there is always a litle bit of yellow muscus that appear on the eyelashes. Do not know where it comes from but probably the base of the eyelashes. My eyes get REALY irritaded by water, im using saline solution now that helps a litle, dont know why this is.

Tomorrow i´m going to a new eye doctor, will talk about doxycykline and also ask about roscea.

so basically:
              Anyone know why water irritates my eyes so much?
              Anyone know if docycykline hels against ocular roscea? And also isdocycyklne effective against inflation and MGD?
              My last question is, how do i best clean my eyelids without irritating my eyes. Watery or dry compress? Any chemicals?

Sorry many questions :P
              Love this forum, feels really good to hear what others with similar problems are thinking.

Comment

Some news!

Met an eye doc today, and finally a good one!

He diagnosed me with mild MGD and anterior inflamed eyelid. He also suspected it to maybe be because of an allergy.

He did not want to start with a body system treatment but gave me a cream called "Terracortil with polymyxin B". He was kindof sure it would help me. Basically it's antibiotic, mild cortisone and anti fungal and anti allergy cream. He seemed very convinced it would work. Will update you guys if it works it might be something for you to look into.

Comment

Thanks, Seth, and hope you feel better soon. I can see steroid and antibacterials in that but did he say which are the antifungal and antiallergy ingredients?
                  Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I think that it might be the cortisone that is supposed to take care of that. Actually it says in the folder that it's suposed to take down allergy irritation too.

Comment

In three weeks time if this works out I can ask him for you how it works

Comment

Working...
                      X