Questions re: eye exam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions re: eye exam

So I finally went to an ophthamologist whose clinic claims to deal with dry eye.

Except:

(1) the P.A. told me that they cannot express the Meiobian glands because there's "no equipment for that". Or something to that effect.

During his comment, I was thinking to myself "what about manual expression?"

He went on to say that the doctor had checked my meiobians
    (huh? how could that be - if he had not expressed the oil??)

After all that, I don't even have a report re: his opinion of the state of my meiobians.

(2) He claimed my cornea's are OK. So I asked "then why are they so sensitive?" He responded "because they're dry". Later, the P.A. asked on my behalf "the patient's eyes only became dry over the past decade, but they were sensitive since her youth. So she wants to know why you're linking the sensitivity to her dryness?" The P.A. came back with the response that the doctor doesn't know the cause - it could be environmental and so forth.

(3) He claimed that I don't have pterygium. So I asked why it has become so very sore and crusted in the punctal area of right eye. He responded that he was prescribing Tobradex for that. But today I saw it has Benzalkonium Chloride as well as steroid, both of which concern me. After I put in one drop my eye felt cold & tender. I'm nervous about the guy since he didn't seem to have my best interests in mind, rather an unpleasant demeanor throughout the brief exam.

(4) He refused to prescribe Freshkote. The P.A. claimed their clinic hadn't enough experience with Freshkote to feel "comfortable prescribing it".

(5) He tested my tears by applying the strips, and having me keep blinking & look upward at bright lights etc. etc. He decided to postpone eye dilation to next month, perhaps due to wanting to hear how the Tobradex works out. But I'm scared to continue Tobradex due to horror stories about BAK and steroids.
    My eyes are very sensitive, compounding my fear.

So basically, all i've gathered thus far is that yes, I "officially" have dry eye.
    No clue re: my meiobians
    No clue as to why my lids are dark & tender
    No clue re: soreness and crusting at punctal area
    No clue re: my general eye sensitivity & photosensitivity most of my life

So much for our wonderful "healthcare" system.
    CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic
Working...
X