Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drastic idea to increase eye comfort at home (for long-term SEVERE dry eye sufferers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drastic idea to increase eye comfort at home (for long-term SEVERE dry eye sufferers)

Home steam room idea
    Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:04.

Interesting idea and it does make sense. I highly recommend to anyone with ongoing dry eye problems to move to high humidity environment. Here in Vancouver, fall to spring is 75-95% humid. It often rains, yes, but I personally do not care. Summer is dry compared to places like Toronto but not super dry: 45-65%.

I don’t have proof but I imagine this sort of humidity level can aid in healing or slowing inflammation because desiccating stress does not affect the eyes.

Comment

What about using moisture chamber glasses with a good seal instead of making ambience humid?

Sounds easier.

Comment

Moisture chamber goggles are far more effective.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	3C21C231-C0EF-4CD1-A935-E5490FA7000F.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	227.0 KB ID:	219129 I wear goggles 24/7 when not in scleral lenses. I bought 5 pair last time at like $5.25 a pair.

I take them off to wipe away the moisture and fog every 15 minutes or so. Its at nearly 100% humidity inside the goggles.

They are lab goggles. I tried 7 pairs and found them to be the best fit/comfort.

Here is my therapist, great dog.

Comment

Milo007 SirDryEye high humidity room makes sense to me. I think it is just another way to feel normal and free without any aids. Just like when it is humid outside here in Vancouver, I can go anywhere without goggles or drops. It helps mentally.

In my case, moisture chambers primarily help with strong winds or AC but they are not perfect enough for my face to create high humidity. I have tried many glasses and did not find a perfect pair.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post
              What about using moisture chamber glasses with a good seal instead of making ambience humid?

Sounds easier.
              Definitely easier. No doubt about it.

Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:06.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post
                Milo007 SirDryEye I think it is just another way to feel normal and free without any aids. Just like when it is humid outside here in Vancouver, I can go anywhere without goggles or drops. It helps mentally.
                This is so true!!
                Last edited by SAAG; 05-Nov-2018, 16:43.

Comment

Originally posted by edmunder View Post
                  I wear goggles 24/7 when not in scleral lenses. I bought 5 pair last time at like $5.25 a pair.

I take them off to wipe away the moisture and fog every 15 minutes or so. Its at nearly 100% humidity inside the goggles.

They are lab goggles. I tried 7 pairs and found them to be the best fit/comfort.

Here is my therapist, great dog.
                  Awww, your dog looks amazing! I used to get a lot of comfort from my dog back in the day, too (he passed away several years ago... but we enjoyed a lot of good years together!). He was a very good listener haha

And your goggles definitely look like they do a good job! That's one reason I enjoy snorkeling... my eyes feel even better in those well-sealed goggles - it's a very dry-eye-friendly activity since a) the goggles feel great and b) it's one of the rare occasions when one fits in perfectly while wearing them!

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post

This is so true!!
                    Did you ever consider moving to the Pacific Northwest? Seattle in US or Vancouver in Canada. Yes, it rains a lot in the winter but you can ski and hike. It is a temperate rainforest climate, cool and humid most of the year. Summers are sunnier and drier. Too much Sun if you ask me

Comment

Did you ever consider moving to the Pacific Northwest? Seattle in US or Vancouver in Canada. Yes, it rains a lot in the winter but you can ski and hike. It is a temperate rainforest climate, cool and humid most of the year. Summers are sunnier and drier. Too much Sun if you ask me
                      Yeah, we're preparing to move to either Victoria or somewhere around Vancouver in late 2019 or mid-2020
                      Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:06.

Comment

Oh cool! PM me if you have questions. It depends on the area. Suburbs like Burnaby, Langley, and Port Moody are still affordable. Something might be happening on the market, especially with the new mayor in Van. I’ve seen two bedrooms (that’s what I am looking at) sit on the market for 4 months and still counting. Victoria is for sure still affordable and a real walkable town.

Comment

Oh cool! PM me if you have questions.
                          I'll definitely do that if I have questions as the time gets closer. Thank-you!

Last edited by SAAG; 10-Jan-2022, 21:07.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	861286AA-54A6-409D-B097-C0F1071EDE99.jpeg
Views:	220
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	219154SAAG Have you considered goggles? Or tried them?

My MGD when not using steroids is zero oil both eyes. Zero. Plus some aqueous deficiency. Goggles got me through a period like that. I think they can help most people then.

They are ugly though. And annoying. And wiping off the fog gets old real fast. Etc

But they are cheap and work. Plus i can go to any room.

I also have a larger swim style mask i wear for a full complete seal. No matter how windy they work.

Comment

Coming to the PNW, SAAG?? Coolio! Come visit

Nothing like the rain forest for dry eye.... I would be living out on the peninsula myself if I could.
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X