Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azithromycin - a five day cure for MGD?

I´ve heard many use Doxycyklin for longer periods, and also some using Tetracyklin to treat MGD. But i´ve read some articles about both oral and topical azithromycin were it is said to be more effective. In the article linked bellow they se a more succesfull treatment in patients eating azithromycin for 5 days than those eating doxy for a month! Do anyone have any info/insight on this subject?

http://bjo.bmj.com/content/early/201...ol-2014-305410

Thanks for posting this Seth, it reminded me of how I had wanted to pursue trying this (after my experiment with testosterone drops seemed to not provide the relief I had been hoping to get). David Sullivan did indicate that it had shown to be of help to many patients with MGD, and I also remember reading quite a few posts here from others who had found it to be helpful. I don't have good info for you at this point, but after I try it, I will certainly post about my experience. In the meantime, if you do a search here for azithromycin (or azasite) you will find some threads.
    I would also welcome hearing from others here who have tried either the oral or topical versions.

Comment

I was prx Azithromycin 1000mg once per week. I was on it for 8 weeks but due to a 9lb weight loss, and constant stomach upset I had to go off of it. My glands are no worse but no better at this point.

Comment

I've tried both azasite (eye drops) and doxycycline (oral), and neither seemed to do anything for my MGD.

Comment

I was on componded Azithromycin drops for over 2 months late last year. No real relief from symptoms that I could quantifiably give you. Also they were very expensive as I had to get them made in Sydney and then sent to where I live in Victoria. My biggest issue is MGD, I have evaporative dry eye.
          Also have Keratoconus which I got cross-linking done on the left eye Feb 10th. Currently not noticing much change but sometimes it feels my left eye is less sensitive to pain than my right. Though on the other hand my eyelids swell up much more with my left than my right. Also tried Doxy but that seemed to make my eyes worse than they have ever been.
          Currently running out of options to try as all drops irritate my eyes and my eyelids swell up doing almost anything. Thinking of maybe giving Doxy another go as I don't want to throw out so much money for something like LipiFlow which I haven't heard a single success story about on here. I use a heat compress twice a day, have had things like manual gland expression done but still nobody seems to have a clue how to treat me or even give me a concrete 100% diagnosis. 4 years later, no social life or career prospects, I'm really at my wits end.

Comment

I have a prescription for all three - Azasite drops and Azithromycin tablets. I am also on Doxycyline (long term 200mg a day)

I take one 500mg Azithromycin for three days for major flare-ups and it knocks it right out.

I use the drops occasionally on my eyelids - Azasite really works good. I notice my glands beginning to secrete oil from the glands about ten minutes after using the drops.

Oh, and I have severe MGD, Blepharitis AND mild Rosecea with both lower ducts perm cautery. - I still live in hell, becasue I make my living with the computer... but between these three meds and tranquilieyes at night, Im able to manage it slightly.

ALSO: if yu havn't heard of MGD RETAIN - they are the best non-preservative drops out there. They are ionically charged to remain on the occular suface. The are milky in color and are really like real tears- (And I have tried them all) - I order MGD Retain on Amazon - it is an over the counter med, but I haven't found it in a pharmacy yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Danon View Post
              Oh, and I have severe MGD, Blepharitis AND mild Rosecea with both lower ducts perm cautery. - I still live in hell, becasue I make my living with the computer... but between these three meds and tranquilieyes at night, Im able to manage it slightly.
              You say you make your living with computers.
              That's a dead giveaway that you should re-think your diagnoses.

See, in the books Black-On-White (PDF)
              ..and Invisible Disease - by Nordstrom
              you'd see that there were misdiagnoses of Rosacea.

Dr.Lagerholm, histopathologist at Karolinska, noted that the so-called Rosacea of Swedish electrosensitives was actually similar to fishermen's sunburn. The skin configurations were the same.
              But the doctors persisted in ignoring his evidence, continuing to call it Rosacea.

Its probably similar with Blepharitis.

I know that my eye lids are NOT itchy from Blepharitis but actually BURNT SKIN.
              Why?
              Simply cuz I could feel the horrible Samsung LCD sizzling me. Pure common sense.
              Not to mention that the local eye doctor recently noted the following in my eyes:
              Spheroidal degeneration (look it up)
              So, that's yet another proof of my having been fried by that horrible Samsung.

I cannot imagine how many thousands of misdiagnoses of Blepharitis & Rosacea there must be by now. Because my local doctor certainly didn't use a comb & microscope to scientifically test for Bleph, rather went by the looks of the eye lid, combined with what was asininely drummed into him & countless others of his colleagues.
              I'm talking about my first Ophtho, rather than the 2nd Ophtho who jotted down about Spheroidal Degen.

Note that both of them were barely communicative.
              Similar to a recent Neurologist who prescribed EMG, and never mind all the horror stories about EMG.
              After all, Mayo Clinic declared it low risk, so far be it from anyone to dispute that.
              With the exception of online posts by victims, of course.
              I chose to believe the victims, based on my similar experience with acupuncture.
              So much for modern medicine, which may soon be exposed in all its glorious primitivity.
              CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X