Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my doctor to run a vitamin A and vitamin E test today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my doctor to run a vitamin A and vitamin E test today...

For the last 3 years I've had dry eyes, it seems like I have MGD and also my eyes aren't producing enough tears but to be honest the ophthalmologist would say something different every time I went in so who knows. I have spent ages researching on what causes dry eyes and recently I have found that more and more reliable websites are listing dry eyes as a symptom of a vitamin A deficiency whereas just a year ago this was almost unheard of, at least where I was looking.
    My favorite website to use which is recommended by the NHS and doctors in the UK is patient.co uk and this lists dry eye as a symptom too. Vitamin A deficiency is probably worth looking up to see if you have any other symptoms, stuff like dry skin which is another very common complaint with people with dry eyes. Link:
    (http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Vita...Deficiency.htm)
    It must be fairly feasible because today I managed to get my doctor to run the test and he threw in a vitamin E test with it, however I don't know whether it was just to shut me up :P
    The only problem is doctors will say that there would be a specific reason for you to have a vitamin A deficiency which you will probably see on the link also, its not common and they don't usually test for it. I only just managed to justify it for me because I have had chronic constipation my whole life and have regularly taken laxatives, though these laxatives are supposed to be gentle and suitable for long term use. IBS and dry eyes are common together too so perhaps theres a link with vitamin A deficiency due to malabsorption?
    The tests take about 4 weeks, I was just wondering whether anyone has had this test done or has ever looked at Vitamin A as a cause of their dry eyes?
    Thanks
Working...
X