Ciclosporin in the UK - update..and Restasis cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ciclosporin in the UK - update..and Restasis cost

I'm 8 months in to the severe dry eye experience and was set to try ciclosporin (also spelled cyclosporine/cyclosporin) aka the nearest thing the UK has to Restasis. I understand that up until very recently this drug was available on "special" prescription, from one place on in the UK only, Moorfields Eye hospital. However, it seems that Moorfields facilities department, where the hard to find "special" eye prescriptions are produced, is being shut down.

http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.co...067721.article

Rather concerningly, the above article says there were"concerns raised by the UK Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) about some of its practices and processes".

The article also said "The company will continue its range of licensed medicines as well as its range of outsourced ophthalmic specials, which are not available from other suppliers." - and I found another PDF document suggesting that while the 0.02% ciclosporin would no longer be produced, the 2% version would be.

However, I called Moorfields hospital directly and they said that no version of ciclosporin would be produced any longer as their facilities department was being shut down altogether. They confirmed they are or were the only place in the UK to supply ciclopsorin and therefore this drug is not something UK dry eye sufferers will be able to get hold of any longer.

So I just wanted to update any interested forum users who might also be chasing ciclosporin with this info.

But I also wondered if any forum user had heard of any other place in the UK who do ciclosporin or way to get hold of it?

I understand that Restasis is a similar product and while not available as standard in the UK can also be ordered on "special"-but that the problem with this is that it's extremely expensive. Boots charge £190 for one month's supply. Do any forum users know of a reputable online pharmacy where this drug can be bought more cheaply? I know there are some dodgy ones out there..but on the other hand £190 ppm is a bridge too far for almost anyone!

Chasing restasis

Hi there Trillian,

I'm on a quest for restasis and it seems almost impossible to get hold of here in the UK! I've spoken to moorfields and their supply has shut down, they only offer the 0.2% ointment which I've never heard any positive reviews of. I've contacted boots but they don't seem to be able to order restasis for me, they said they could get a generic version in a 20ml bottle but that has preservatives. They will get back to me with the price on Monday. Have you had any success with getting cyclosporin? it's such a frustrating situation!

Comment

Hi Ingrid,

Have you given the ointment (optimmune) a try? Optimmune and restasis are the same ingredient so if you were to try restasis and respond well, the chances are that you would also respond to optimmune. These only work for t-cell mediated dry eye (i.e. T-cell activation and inflammation). Has your OD mentioned what you may have?

I agree though - it's frustrating that restasis is not available in the UK. The price is quite high and success rate isn't great, which I guess is why it wasn't approved.

x
      Living a Lasik nightmare - Wake me up!!

Comment

https://www.nice.org.uk/news/press-a...om-the-company NICE has today [24 June 2015] published preliminary recommendations on ciclosporin (Ikervis, Santen Pharmaceutical) for treating severe keratitis in adults with dry eye disease which has not improved despite treatment with artificial tears. Final guidance is expected to be published in September 2015. Also Scottish Medicines Consortium https://www.scottishmedicines.org.uk...sporin_Ikervis
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I have just tried ikervis for the first time tonight, will keep you all updated....its very sore at the moment...

Comment

Is anyone having any problems with Ikervis (ciclosporin 1mg/mL (0.1%) eye drops emulsion Ikervis®)? https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/30584

How's it going, fourchimneys?

This is for a steroid responder, also possibly some hypersensitivity to excipients of Prednisolone.

Accepted for use in NHS Scotland, October 2015 https://www.scottishmedicines.org.uk...sporin_Ikervis, NICE UK, 2015 http://www.santen.eu/uk/mi/news/Page...n-england.aspx (see 2 links at bottom for detail - NICE Final Appraisal https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/GID...ation-document). Interesting p16 'The results showed that ciclosporin (Ikervis) is less costly (£72 monthly) than Restasis (£119.75 monthly) but more costly than the other 2 ciclosporin formulations currently used in clinical practice in the NHS (Optimmune 0.2% CsA ointment: £55.24 monthly; 2% CsA drops: £47.24 monthly).' Optimmune is around £23 from the vet.
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 09-Dec-2015, 07:04.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Some hospitals in the uk (mine - gartnavel in glasgow) can access Restasis. I've had it prescribed to me there before. Postcode lottery perhaps?

Comment

Deleted post
                Last edited by HKhan2015; 15-Dec-2015, 14:14.

Comment

I know this post is super old, but thought I'd add a quick update. I got hold of restasis in Norway and went on in for approximately 8 months with little effect. I might have had some benefit from it, but it's very hard to determined as I was also frequently using steroids. Long story short I suddenly got ocular hypertension a month ago and realised I need to stop the steroid use. Since I used steroids frequently in the past with no reaction I was confident I wasn't a responder..guess I was wrong there. A reminder that steroid should not be used without caution! Anyway I have just started ikervis. My eye doc said that it should be more effective than restasis, as it is stronger and apparently last longer in the eye (you only need the drop once a day, as opposed to twice a day with restasis). The first few days my eyes were reacting to the drops. It stung like crazy when putting them in, and they became red. But then again I had similar side effects when starting restasis. Two weeks in it is no longer stinging and my eyes seem less sensitive. If anyone is intrested I can give an update when I have used it for longer, I can't tell whether it is helping at this point.

other things I'm also using at the moment is cliradex wipes and I've been having IPL sessions and manual expression. Feel free to ask questions about these as well.

Comment

Hi Igrid
                    would life an update please on IKERVIS and if IPL worked for you.

many thanks.
                    linda

Comment

Working...
                    X