Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foreign body sensation all day long

Has anybody something like this too?
    I woke up today and got this foreign body sensation. It doesn't go away, I can drop as much as I want to. Like a lash in the eye but there is no lash.
    Also there is no sty.

It drives me crazy.

I had that in my left eye, close to the lid margin on the bottom. The feeling fluctuated along the margin throughout the day. As if an eyelash was close to the lid margin. No pain, no staining, and absolutely nothing there. I saw two optometrists. Lasted for a few weeks. Occasionally comes back in dry places but it feels more like dryness now. Not as annoying and drops usually help.

Hang in there, hope it goes away for you, too.

Here are some posts I created from that time:
    One
    Two

Comment

I used to have it. My diagnosis was SLK, however there are other causes. Mine got A LOT better after Prokera and several other treatments.

Comment

What other Treatments did you have?
        Is PROKERA a normal contact lense?

I always thought that contact lenses for dry eyes are not good.

This foreign body sensation drives me mad. It is only in the left eye and I unfortunately can't even say on which exact spot.

Comment

Have you looked to see if any of your eyelashes are turned in toward your eye? Because of my floppy eyelid syndrome, my eyelashes can reverse inward and just barely touch the cornea. It’s an insanely maddening feeling. Just wanted to throw it out there because I could not see the problem for at least 24 hours. I was constantly checking, then finally I saw this lightly colored eyelash hair pointing inward. Removed the hair with tweezers, instant relief.

Could also just be a dry spot, a clogged gland, papilae, there’s a lot that can cause a foreign body. Do you think that you could have some staining right there?

Comment

Originally posted by insidious988 View Post
            What other Treatments did you have?
            Is PROKERA a normal contact lense?

I always thought that contact lenses for dry eyes are not good.

This foreign body sensation drives me mad. It is only in the left eye and I unfortunately can't even say on which exact spot.
            Prokera is an amniotic membrate transplant procedure (a lot more scary that it sounds). At a high level, donor amniotic membrane is put into a contact lens, and then the doctor inserts this contact lens into your eye (takes 10 secs), and leaves it there for 2-7 days. Your eye absorbs the tissue. The theory is that the amniotic membrane tissue contains a lot of growth factors / stem cells, and it can help heal the surface of your eyes including the nerves.

It helped me A LOT. I had constant foreign body sensation for months. I did Prokera, and then post-op over a few month period, my foreign body sensation gradually disappeared.

Of course, I can't say for certain Prokera was the treatment that helped me (i.e., placeblo effect; or other treatments I have in parallel). In parallel, I am also on Xiidra and Restasis twice-a-day for both drugs, and I am also on monthly-IPL. I am also taking Omega 3 and GLA supplements. However, I did all of this for months before my Prokera treatment and my foreign body sensation didn't get any better. So for myself personally, I think Prokera really helped me.

The other good thing about Prokera is that its very low risk. It just costs money, around 1.5k CAD per eye in Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post
              Have you looked to see if any of your eyelashes are turned in toward your eye? Because of my floppy eyelid syndrome, my eyelashes can reverse inward and just barely touch the cornea. It’s an insanely maddening feeling. Just wanted to throw it out there because I could not see the problem for at least 24 hours. I was constantly checking, then finally I saw this lightly colored eyelash hair pointing inward. Removed the hair with tweezers, instant relief.

Could also just be a dry spot, a clogged gland, papilae, there’s a lot that can cause a foreign body. Do you think that you could have some staining right there?
              Yes, I looked really thoroughly and just can't see any lash. Have you looked with a magnifying glass or how did you discover it? I took really good pictures with my cell phone etc. but I can't see it.

The bad thing is it could be anything. There ist just so often no help for us dry eye sufferers. Yes, the feeling is maddening.

Sadly I never heard of PROKERA before and don't think it's available in Germany...

Comment

Yes, I looked really thoroughly and just can't see any lash. Have you looked with a magnifying glass or how did you discover it? I took really good pictures with my cell phone etc. but I can't see it.

The bad thing is it could be anything. There ist just so often no help for us dry eye sufferers. Yes, the feeling is maddening.

Sadly I never heard of PROKERA before and don't think it's available in Germany...
                Is autologous blood serum tears available? They are a really good option as well for comfort and healing. I couldn’t live without serum. I saw it with a 20x magnification mirror I bought on amazon. It lets me see if I’m expressing oil or have any issues I can’t see in a regular old mirror.

Comment

AMT has been a standard treatment for decades now (originally used for more severe cases like chemical burns), I would be surprised if AMT Prokera or some equivalent is not available in a first-world country like Germany. Its definitely available in the USA and Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

Is autologous blood serum tears available? They are a really good option as well for comfort and healing. I couldn’t live without serum. I saw it with a 20x magnification mirror I bought on amazon. It lets me see if I’m expressing oil or have any issues I can’t see in a regular old mirror.
                    Can you see gland opening? I can’t see oil and I have 20x mirror. My eyelid margins get oily though.

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful_hiker View Post

Can you see gland opening? I can’t see oil and I have 20x mirror. My eyelid margins get oily though.
                      I can’t see the glands well, but when I express my lids, I can see oil start to form at the openings. I have been able to see caps on glands before also.

Comment

Has anybody something like this too?
                        I woke up today and got this foreign body sensation. It doesn't go away, I can drop as much as I want to. Like a lash in the eye but there is no lash.
                        Also there is no sty.
                        I had it for a long time and it was irritations in the lid because of MGD
                        Do you have a status of your glands ? Lipiview ?
                        It could be a lash growing toward the eye, it can be seen with a 15x mirror and then pull it out
                        I could be an allergic reason, try allergic drop for 3 weeks (I had all these cases)

Comment

Working...
                        X