X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothyroidism and dry eyes/mgd

Hello;
    My eyes have been dry for 10 months.
    I discovered yesterday that I have moderate hypothyroidism (TSH=4), but not Hashimoto (no antibodies)
    Do you know if hypothyroidism could be the cause of my dry eyes?
    Thanks

up? nobody in my case?

Comment

I have Hypothyroidism (not Hashimoto's), my TSH was around 7 before I started taking Levothyroxine. My GP (UK) wasn't very thyroid savvy and told me to come off the Levothyroxine when my TSH went down to around 2 so obviously it then went back up again and I'm back on the meds. I haven't noticed that it has helped my dry eyes. Endocrinologist said no way would Hypothyroidism cause dry eyes, two Ophthalmologists said they have seen patients improve after their TSH levels were in the ideal range. I searched for a connection on here a while ago and one person had improvement once his Hypothyroidism was treated but his TSH was really high, can't remember the exact figure but think it was over 40.

Comment

http://iovs.arvojournals.org/Article...icleid=2184112

I haven't been able to read this article closely (sore eyes!) but it seems to be saying there is a proven link between hypothyroidism and dry eye. Hope someone with better eyes and a more scientific brain might be able to summarise it for you.

Of paticular personal interest to me was the paragraph "Moreover, the present data support the idea of an investigation of ocular discomfort in subclinical thyroid disease, another condition more prevalent in women, defined by higher levels of TSH and normal levels of TH, with a characteristic clinical presentation. The possible association of subclinical hypothyroidism and dry eye syndrome may offer an explanation for several undetermined cases of dry eye in the population."

This is the case with me (slightly higher than normal TSH but normal TH levels).

Comment

I have had hypothyroidism for many years before I developed dry eyes. I recently had some tests done and discovered it is actually Hashimoto's Thyroiditis that I have and that I may have Sjogren's. I also have alopecia areata, another autoimmune condition. My rheumatologist has prescribed Salagen which is supposed to increase saliva and possibly tears. The side effects include increased sweating and increased urination, among other things. Has anyone ever taken this medication and, if so, what results did you have? It seems to me that if it is possible to increase tears with this medication, my opthalmologist would have suggested it, but don't get me started on him and his lack of concern for my severe dry eye condition!

Comment

Working...
          X