Fast Food Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Food Addiction

Over the past 4 years I have consumed a lot of bad food and fast food to help cope with my mental problems such as bipolar and borderline personality disorder. I was wondering could that be a reason for for a high amount of gland loss and MGD? I was also wondering if my anti psychotic medication could be a cause for my gland loss too (seroquel). Just really trying to understand why, even though it doesn’t matter as I can’t fix my glands...

I know that part of my issue is high blood sugar. I was a bodybuilder and ate clean for years. The last two years before this happened I said, I’m taking a break from food. So I still at clean about 60% of the time, but then the other 40% I was eating whole apple pies and just insane amounts of sugar. INSANE amounts. I believe that helped to cause this. I know not eating sugar and lowering my carbs helps tremendously.

let me also add, this wasn’t just food. This was genetic and lifestyle related. I’d assume the same for you. The food didn’t help, may have even catalyzed the issue, but it wasn’t the cause I’m pretty damn certain.
    Last edited by Dowork123; 16-Dec-2018, 06:08.

Comment

There are no formal studies , so probably nobody can give you a definitive answer. However, intuition suggests that fast foods contains many unhealthy fats, one of the treatments of MGD is to consume healthy fats (i.e., Omega 3 and GLA). So it is quite likely fast food is almost certainly not good for MGD or your health in genera.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher3 View Post
        Over the past 4 years I have consumed a lot of bad food and fast food to help cope with my mental problems such as bipolar and borderline personality disorder. I was wondering could that be a reason for for a high amount of gland loss and MGD? I was also wondering if my anti psychotic medication could be a cause for my gland loss too (seroquel). Just really trying to understand why, even though it doesn’t matter as I can’t fix my glands...
        Topher3

Were you habitual of spending a lot of time in front of digital screens on a regular basis before you were diagnosed with dry eyes?

I believe use of digital screens has a role to play (partly or entirely) in the development of dry eyes for most people.

Also another common reason is use of contact lenses.

Perhaps the third most common reason would be Accutane. Your psychotic drug could also well be the reason.

http://eyedoc2020.blogspot.com/2018/...worse.html?m=1

The above link might be helpful to you.

​​​​​​​I am assuming you don't have any autoimmune diseases.

Comment

Milo007 Yes I gamed a lot over the years on a daily basis. I just don’t understand how there are gamers and streamers that do it for 12+ hours a day and don’t have any dry eyes or anything. I guess it comes down to partial blinking. 2 of my medications fell under the list that you put in that hyperlink. I have never experienced dry eyes when taking those tablets however maybe it was doing stuff behind the scenes? I can’t help but blame myself for taking these tablets and gaming however that is what I used to help with coping as I find it hard, to sit still and it’s an escape. I guess hindsight is 20/20 and I shouldn’t blame myself as I wouldn’t have done it if I new this would be the outcome . It makes me so sad regardless and the guilt is real.

Comment

Milo007 Yes I gamed a lot over the years on a daily basis. I just don’t understand how there are gamers and streamers that do it for 12+ hours a day and don’t have any dry eyes or anything. I guess it comes down to partial blinking. 2 of my medications fell under the list that you put in that hyperlink. I have never experienced dry eyes when taking those tablets however maybe it was doing stuff behind the scenes? I can’t help but blame myself for taking these tablets and gaming however that is what I used to help with coping as I find it hard, to sit still and it’s an escape. I guess hindsight is 20/20 and I shouldn’t blame myself as I wouldn’t have done it if I new this would be the outcome . It makes me so sad regardless and the guilt is real.
            Same scenario here!

I used to play computer games 12-16 hours a day on a daily basis for maybe 4-5 years when I was in school and the first two years of my college. Things definitely worsened after that as within the next two years (after I graduated) signs of dry eyes manifested for the first time. It got worse after staying in air conditioned spaces for another 2-3 years.My case is definitely attributable to excessive staring at digital screens (chronic reduced blink rate consequently) for years. Even after I gave up gaming I used to engage myself reading content using digital screens mostly on my phone. At times I used to watch hours of YouTube videos at a stretch.

OMG! I know what it feels to carry the burden of guilt. But I guess none of us saw it coming. We had no idea in the past what could be the consequences. I didn't even know there's something called a dry eye syndrome.

I feel your case is mostly due to abuse of digital screens as mine.

Comment

Hi Topher
              Most fast (or proceeded) food contains rich omega 6 which increases inflammation - however, GLA is regarded as good omega 6.
              Generally speaking, omega 3 can decrease inflammation and improve oil quality,
              add GLA works more effectively, I have read and my experience tells me so too.
              Last edited by MGD1701; 17-Dec-2018, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post
                Same scenario here!

I used to play computer games 12-16 hours a day on a daily basis for maybe 4-5 years when I was in school and the first two years of my college. Things definitely worsened after that as within the next two years (after I graduated) signs of dry eyes manifested for the first time. It got worse after staying in air conditioned spaces for another 2-3 years.My case is definitely attributable to excessive staring at digital screens (chronic reduced blink rate consequently) for years. Even after I gave up gaming I used to engage myself reading content using digital screens mostly on my phone. At times I used to watch hours of YouTube videos at a stretch.

OMG! I know what it feels to carry the burden of guilt. But I guess none of us saw it coming. We had no idea in the past what could be the consequences. I didn't even know there's something called a dry eye syndrome.

I feel your case is mostly due to abuse of digital screens as mine.
                Seems like your situation is almost identical to mine. Just curious have you had a meibography? What is the situation with your meibomian glands? I’ve lossed an extensive amount unfortunately. Are you in the same boat ? Cause that would be interesting as our situations have been so similar.

Comment

Seems like your situation is almost identical to mine. Just curious have you had a meibography? What is the situation with your meibomian glands? I’ve lossed an extensive amount unfortunately. Are you in the same boat ? Cause that would be interesting as our situations have been so similar.
                  Yes!

I did a meibography for the first time in July this year.

Following were the results :

1. Right eye upper eyelid : 23% gland loss by area.

2. Right eye lower eyelid : 24% gland loss by area.

3. Left eye upper eyelid : 44% gland loss by area.

4. Left eye lower eyelid : 24% gland loss by area.

I feel depressed to hear you have lost so many of your glands. Do you have gland loss area recorded as a percentage as mine?

Have you tried probing?

Evidence suggests that intra-ductal meibomian gland probing does help the glands regenerate to some extent if done early.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the loss you’ve experienced, however you still seem to have a fair bit to work with which is great to hear! I haven’t done a% loss however it would be extensively more loss than you. I haven’t tried probing I’ve heard its really risky and could destroy the whole glands. I think mines too far gone to be of any help but who knows. I just take it one step at a time, what’s done cannot be undone and I can choose to live my life one way or another. Someone from my work the other day went for a surf and got smashed into the rocks and is now a paraplegic for life, sometimes you need things to be put into perspective and that showed me that yeah it’s sucks what happened to me but shit happens and you’ve just gotta keep going, nothing is owed to you or anyone in this world.
                    I feel like so many people get caught up in their life and that they legitimately lose complete grace and just think that life is somehow owed to them, but forget that life doesn’t have to be so it’s importsnt to be grateful and that’s how I choose to be from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD1701 View Post
                      Hi Topher
                      Most fast (or proceeded) food contains rich omega 6 which increases inflammation - however, GLA is regarded as good omega 6.
                      Generally speaking, omega 3 can decrease inflammation and improve oil quality,
                      add GLA works more effectively, I have read and my experience tells me so too.
                      It’s the ratio that’s more important. You want a higher amount of omega 3 to omega 6. Most Americans diet is ten times higher in omega 6 which is the opposite of what you want. That’s why I cook with macadamia but oil. High smoke point and better omega 3 to 6 ratio. So omega 6 is only inflammatory if it’s found in higher quantities than omega 3. Avocado oil is another good choice but it’s fruity compared to the Mac nut oil.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the loss you’ve experienced, however you still seem to have a fair bit to work with which is great to hear! I haven’t done a% loss however it would be extensively more loss than you. I haven’t tried probing I’ve heard its really risky and could destroy the whole glands. I think mines too far gone to be of any help but who knows. I just take it one step at a time, what’s done cannot be undone and I can choose to live my life one way or another. Someone from my work the other day went for a surf and got smashed into the rocks and is now a paraplegic for life, sometimes you need things to be put into perspective and that showed me that yeah it’s sucks what happened to me but shit happens and you’ve just gotta keep going, nothing is owed to you or anyone in this world.
                        I feel like so many people get caught up in their life and that they legitimately lose complete grace and just think that life is somehow owed to them, but forget that life doesn’t have to be so it’s importsnt to be grateful and that’s how I choose to be from now on.
                        Very well said indeed. One has to amend oneself to the mishaps of life. But don't lose hope my friend. You never know you can get back what you have lost by some miracle. Miracles do happen. Maybe some discovery in the near future would solve the problem that seems hopeless at the moment.

Did your opthalmologist tell you have scar tissue over your meibomian glands?

If I were you I would have taken a chance with probing with some of the meibomian glands those were almost completely damaged just to see if it works wonder. There's more to gain than to lose for those glands. Probing along with PRP injections have been demonstrated to regenerate glands within as early as 3 months.

Meanwhile I got my lipiview results today mailed to me by my opthalmologist.

Results : Average ICU right eye : 80
                        Average ICU left eye : 58

Anything below 100 is not normal. So results are not on the brighter side.

Comment

Working...
                        X