Salivary gland autotransplantation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salivary gland autotransplantation

Does anyone know whether this procedure is actually performed?

I know it's not without risks being done under a general and the healing time is several weeks but for many of us suffering from reduced tear production and looking for relief, why not?

All the clinical trials performed seemed very successful.

Originally posted by quattroboy View Post
    Does anyone know whether this procedure is actually performed?

I know it's not without risks being done under a general and the healing time is several weeks but for many of us suffering from reduced tear production and looking for relief, why not?

All the clinical trials performed seemed very successful.
    https://source.wustl.edu/2005/01/tra...s-to-man-eyes/

Might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post
      Thanks.
      spotted that article yesterday.

Comment

I think its rare because its complex, invasive and not always successful:

The risks of surgery include the extensive nature of the surgery, which requires approximately six hours of general anesthesia, and an approximate 20 percent failure rate. Other risks include infection or stenosis of the duct (two eyes); microcystic corneal edema, which may affect vision and comfort; and verproduction of tears requiring injections of botulinum toxin or surgical reduction for control (six eyes).

The authors say that these risks must be evaluated against the benefits of increased comfort and the reduction in the need for the artificial tear substitutes, and conclude that surgery should be limited to those very few patients with absolute aqueous tear deficiency (Schirmer test results, ≤1 mm), a conjunctivalized surface epithelium, persistent severe pain despite punctal occlusion, and at least half hourly application of unpreserved tear substitutes and those who also have had a trial of scleral or limbal fit rigid contact lenses.

https://www.aao.org/editors-choice/s...shows-good-lon

Comment

The article was heartbreaking. I hope that man is better now.

Lena11, thank you for sharing the info! Makes more sense to me know as to why it’s not as common.

Comment

Working...
          X