Dryeye safe antidepressants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryeye safe antidepressants

Can anyone recommend an antidepressant that won't mess up my eyes? Was on an antidepressant before, getting very depressed now .
    prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

I take 30mg of cipralex and it doesn't bother my eyes. I've tried going off them for like six months and no change in my symptoms. It has helped me mentally deal with the pain.

Comment

Sadly that's another one of those "dry mouth" side effect ones .

Comment

I think Faith is saying she knows it can have dry eye side effects, but it hasn't for her. You are so depressed now, justbob, maybe you should use something and see what happens. You know we understand and care, and people here are in similar situations.
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I was discouraged from using antidepressant by doc before, it would have to be right one. I emailed local Sjogren group asking if they have any suggestions, if anyone would know they would.

Comment

Good plan. Just having a look at this NIMH meds http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topic...ications.shtml. Ideally, hospital Psychiatric service would be best advice. Talking to friends, there are prescribing Psychiatrists who are very knowledgeable, but finding them is a challenge. Might be easier to get some support with the dry eyes and 'alternative therapies' for the anxiety... [I've just finished reading all that and I think they missed out 'ask your patient what dietary supplements they are taking' because I think some people have had problems with supplements as well as 'herbal remedies'.]
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 07-Jun-2015, 11:04.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Antidepressants effects us all differently. What will aggravate dry eye in person won't for another, etc. I've been taking Fluvoxamine since 2008 and had got down to the lowest dose for a few years, therapeutic range is 100mg-300mg and I was only taking 50mg. I've recently gone off them cold turkey to my surprise my eyes have improved a lot.

justbob you may need to experiment with different antidepressants and if you're sensitive to most I'd recommend seeing a Naturopath who specializes in mental health. There are some very effective natural remedies for depression but you need professional guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                Might be easier to get some support with the dry eyes and 'alternative therapies' for the anxiety... [I've just finished reading all that and I think they missed out 'ask your patient what dietary supplements they are taking' because I think some people have had problems with supplements as well as 'herbal remedies'.]
                I'm taking a herbal remedy, works well for about 30 mins then wears off though.

Originally posted by DCRdryeye View Post
                Antidepressants effects us all differently. What will aggravate dry eye in person won't for another, etc. I've been taking Fluvoxamine since 2008 and had got down to the lowest dose for a few years, therapeutic range is 100mg-300mg and I was only taking 50mg. I've recently gone off them cold turkey to my surprise my eyes have improved a lot.
                That's my concern with these "dry mouth" antidepressants. I need something because I'm not making progress, going slowly backward, making it worse won't help.

justbob you may need to experiment with different antidepressants and if you're sensitive to most I'd recommend seeing a Naturopath who specializes in mental health. There are some very effective natural remedies for depression but you need professional guidance.
                Ok.

Comment

Originally posted by justbob View Post
                  Can anyone recommend an antidepressant that won't mess up my eyes? Was on an antidepressant before, getting very depressed now .
                  Hi Bob,
                  I was on them for 4 years (amytriplyn, uk name) and my dry eye started around the time I reduced them,from 50mg to 10mg,I came off them completely encase that was causing it but saw no change. I actually sometimes think they helped my dry eye as they are also used as a sleep aid and nerve pain killer).
                  I'm trying sertraline now, again - no difference to eyes so far. What did you take before?
                  People have recovered, so can we.
                  www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Originally posted by waterbee View Post
                    Hi Bob,
                    I was on them for 4 years (amytriplyn, uk name) and my dry eye started around the time I reduced them,from 50mg to 10mg,I came off them completely encase that was causing it but saw no change. I actually sometimes think they helped my dry eye as they are also used as a sleep aid and nerve pain killer).
                    I'm trying sertraline now, again - no difference to eyes so far. What did you take before?
                    Was on prozac, was trying several SSRIs at the time as I was getting bad restless legs on them. My doc at the time encouraged me to stop. But now it's been 6 months of going backwards and I'm very depressed and bored all the time.
                    Last edited by justbob; 08-Jun-2015, 12:24.

Comment

Working...
                    X