This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new take on dry eye

I've been in contact with Perry Rosenthal, a doctor working part time at Harvard. Earlier this year, Dr. Rosenthal and David Borsook published a paper about dry eye and it's neuroscientific roots. Very much worth checking out and having a discussion about I think!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by bohmaniac View Post
    I've been in contact with Perry Rosenthal, a doctor working part time at Harvard. Earlier this year, Dr. Rosenthal and David Borsook published a paper about dry eye and it's neuroscientific roots. Very much worth checking out and having a discussion about I think!
    I have to admit that I didn't understand the whole paper, but it attracted my attention because it hypothesizes that some sympptoms of dry eyes are associated with different neural pathways than one might assume. I have severe photophobia, which at the current time is my most debilitating symptom, and I have noticed a decline in my ability to read and understand papers like this I can't figure out if it is purely mechanical, that my eyes get fatigued very quickly as I struggle to force them to focus on reading material, or if there is some other process going on and it is not just mechanical muscle fatigue. I never used to give up on trying to understand papers, legal documents, etc, and now I find reading anything more than a few paragraphs extremely difficult. It feels like my difficulty reading is turning into fuzzy thinking.

I wonder what kinds of treatment options Dr Rosenthal believes might help.

Comment

Originally posted by heyjude0701 View Post
      I have to admit that I didn't understand the whole paper, but it attracted my attention because it hypothesizes that some sympptoms of dry eyes are associated with different neural pathways than one might assume. I have severe photophobia, which at the current time is my most debilitating symptom, and I have noticed a decline in my ability to read and understand papers like this I can't figure out if it is purely mechanical, that my eyes get fatigued very quickly as I struggle to force them to focus on reading material, or if there is some other process going on and it is not just mechanical muscle fatigue. I never used to give up on trying to understand papers, legal documents, etc, and now I find reading anything more than a few paragraphs extremely difficult. It feels like my difficulty reading is turning into fuzzy thinking.

I wonder what kinds of treatment options Dr Rosenthal believes might help.
      Dr. Rosenthal suggests daily treatment with 2mg naltrexone (low dose) but it can take up to 6 weeks to get effects and it doesn't work for everyone. I am almost 2 weeks into my treatment. I have neuropathic pain with pretty bad photophobia as well. How bad is severe photophobia? I am basically sensitive to all forms of light however it doesn't work get painful until I go outside or use computers/watch TV...

Comment

Bohmaniac, I will be very interested to see how naltrexone works for you. Please keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
        X