6 months, going nowhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 months, going nowhere?

Been 6 months since I first noticed a problem I now know as MGD, I haven't made real any progress since then, rather it's slowly gotten worse. I've tried warm compress, tons of supplements, doxy (helped a bit, but no continued progress), sleep goggles (but I can't sleep properly with any I've tried so far, damn side sleeping) but I just don't seem to go anywhere except keep it where it is for a little longer. My current doc is very laid back and wanted me stop expressing because he's not a fan, thinks it'll cause extra inflammation and doesn't think I need it (though when I told him it was better after having a doc express he said it's because they have a plug of meb in them etc!). Recently he told me to stop doxy if it's upsetting my stomach even though I only started it because I was desperate to get to next appointment cos it was hurting (he didn't actually perscribe that doxy though), and to use gel at night instead of hylo-forte, but I think the gel has made it slightly worse so I stopped that. So again I'm left wondering how to last till next appointment where this time he'll give me one of those other antibiotics, so effectively about 4 months between starting doxy (which wasn't working that great as above) and a diff antibiotic, seems like a complete waste of a difficult 4 months to me where it probably will get worse again (and I'll lose more weight become even more depressed). He didn't approve of me switching docs (last thing patient needs is any negativity for choices they made for good reason!), and I don't know if there's anyone better around here, he gets it's about quality of life and seems knowledgeable about risks of interventions, but again I'm left feeling desperate just to survive till the next app, I don't think he's taking it very seriously, seems he won't answer emails between appointments either. Any thoughts what to do? should I ditch this doc? do something apposed to what he's said?
    Last edited by justbob; 09-Jun-2015, 08:21.
    prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

JustBob,

I know how you feel. Couldnt you change docs? I struggle with my eyes on a daily basis and especially now that I do a lot of typing. I try not to go on the computer at the weekends when Im not at work. Its odd that your doctor doesnt want you to express your eyelids. My ophthalmologist has said that I must do this twice a day after using the heat pad.

Comment

Originally posted by HEBS View Post
      I know how you feel. Couldnt you change docs?
      I don't know where else to go, it's risky, this doc already made some comments about me changing doctors (as if I did it for no reason) .
      Last edited by justbob; 14-Jun-2015, 08:41.

Comment

For MGD I would definitely NOT stop warm compresses. I was advised to stop by an NHS opthamologist and then 6 months later my eye got swollen and inflamed. Have you tried Vitapos A? It's a lubricant with vitamin A which you can put in at night. Also Hylo-forte is awesome! Blephasol is great for cleaning eyes after warm compresses. If you are not getting joy from your current doc, find one who understands your problem better. Or rock up at Moorfields
        Living a Lasik nightmare - Wake me up!!

Comment

Originally posted by justbob View Post
          I don't know where else to go, it's risky, this doc already made some comments about me changing doctors (as if I did it for no reason) .
          You could try a different doctor without ditching your current one. I was seeing two doctors at once. You dont have to tell your current doc if you think he would hold it against you.

Comment

Originally posted by Angela810 View Post
            For MGD I would definitely NOT stop warm compresses. I was advised to stop by an NHS opthamologist and then 6 months later my eye got swollen and inflamed. Have you tried Vitapos A? It's a lubricant with vitamin A which you can put in at night. Also Hylo-forte is awesome! Blephasol is great for cleaning eyes after warm compresses. If you are not getting joy from your current doc, find one who understands your problem better. Or rock up at Moorfields
            I just stopped expressing, still doing heat part (3 times day). I'm afraid to try any drops etc without talking to doc as I've had SLK. I'm using hylo-forte now.

Originally posted by MGD30 View Post
            You could try a different doctor without ditching your current one. I was seeing two doctors at once. You dont have to tell your current doc if you think he would hold it against you.
            I'm sure he would he's made several comments, so when I show the new doc my history shall I star out the previous doc names lol?

Comment

I feel the same.
              I tried everything and I feel like I'm getting worse every week, I can't watch TV, study or be in the computer, I had to close my eyes and listen to radio for 5+ hours a day. I stopped visiting this forum regularly because of how bad my eyes had gotten.
              I don't know what to do.

But yeah, my advice is get another doctor opinion. there's nothing wrong with that. It's your eyes.

Comment

Working...
              X