Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer/phone instantly hurts my eyes, shall I take an office job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer/phone instantly hurts my eyes, shall I take an office job?

The opticians said I have a problem with my tear film in my eyes, they can't work out what's causing it, but it's something typically older people get. I'm 27. She has given me eye drops, which do slightly alleviate the discomfort. My eyes are sometimes half-open, tired, sore or weary, of which has been mildly happening for a few months but recently has been a lot worse.

What seems to trigger it very quickly is a computer screen, but also my smart phone. Within a matter of half a minute, my eyes feel very uncomfortable and tired after looking at it. Most people are affected after long term use, but me it seems a matter of seconds. My eyes are precious, and I contacted the eye nurse and she said to take drops every 3 hours, I have been using Systane and an eye bag every morning and evening. Due to being a contact lens wearer for 10 years, she said this may be a consequence and it is simply a condition I have to live with

I am about to start a new job in an office, and I am worried I am going to have immense difficulty with this problem, as it will involve computer screen use. I don't know what to do!

You should ask your doctor to do tear break-up time test. You might have MGD and because you don't blink often when using a computer, it could cause you this irritation.

I'm also working in an office 8 hours a day with a computer and yeah, it's not very comfortable but you will get used to it

Comment

Do they feel dry, or more achy? If you are talking dry, then maybe try moisture chambers or sclerals, and a portable humidifier. But it's more achy it sounds to me like you might benefit from computer glasses. Do you already have some? They are like prescription reading glasses, but a weaker strength (based on your distance to the monitor), with glare and other coatings (comparable to the "Blue Cut Coating" at EyeBuyDirect), and then sometimes with yellow tint. My husband has them, minus the yellow tint. He was about to quit his job from the discomfort during computer work, when an optometrist suggested trying a pair. He can't go without.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua1987 View Post
        The opticians said I have a problem with my tear film in my eyes, they can't work out what's causing it, but it's something typically older people get. I'm 27. She has given me eye drops, which do slightly alleviate the discomfort. My eyes are sometimes half-open, tired, sore or weary, of which has been mildly happening for a few months but recently has been a lot worse.

What seems to trigger it very quickly is a computer screen, but also my smart phone. Within a matter of half a minute, my eyes feel very uncomfortable and tired after looking at it. Most people are affected after long term use, but me it seems a matter of seconds. My eyes are precious, and I contacted the eye nurse and she said to take drops every 3 hours, I have been using Systane and an eye bag every morning and evening. Due to being a contact lens wearer for 10 years, she said this may be a consequence and it is simply a condition I have to live with

I am about to start a new job in an office, and I am worried I am going to have immense difficulty with this problem, as it will involve computer screen use. I don't know what to do!

Aqua,

I work long hours mostly in front of a computer. I want to offer my encouragement as I have managed to excel at my job despite battling this horrific dry eye problem. I can remember the fear I felt when my dry eyes first hit a couple years ago. I work in a competitive industry and have put in many years of long hours at the office to further my career. I like what I do and have pursued my career with ambitious dedication. At the time of my lasik surgery I was proud of what I had accomplished so far and looking forward to further advancement. But when the dry eye ruthlessly attacked me it felt like I might lose it all. At night I'd wake up feeling like someone was pushing Velcro against my cornea, then I'd grit my teeth as I pealed open my lids to put in some eye drops and attempt to fall back asleep. Upon waking, my eyes started the day gritty and sore. Driving to work was a chore in itself as I tried to keep one eye on the road while I put drops in the other. At work as I stared at my computer screen, the dry gritty feeling would give way to agonizing pain like a drill press was grinding into my eye. I bought every preservative free eye drop the pharmacy had to offer but the only thing that enabled to keep my eyes open long enough to read my computer screen was rubbing a dollop of Vaseline directly on my eyeball every 20 minutes or so. After a week of this torture, I knew that my productivity was too low. If I couldn't improve my condition it the options were clear to me: either quit or hang on as long as I could until I was fired.

Another week went by and everything I had tried had not helped at all. But eventually, things started to get a little better, or more accurately things remained hellish, but less so. With the help and advice of users on this site, I slowly figured out things that would help and incrementally improve my situation. Week to week it was hard to see improvement. Month to month it was also difficult to notice improvement. But over a period of a few months I knew for sure things were marginally better. There were (and will be) set backs for sure, but the overall trend was better.

Just over a year after that two week period where dryness thrashed my eyes, nearly crushed my aspirations, and tested my pain tolerance, I had some good news. I got a promotion. That felt good. Real good. Amazing. It was exhilarating. Probably similar to the high marathon runners and Iron Man triathletes get after a brutally painful race. Knowing what I'd overcome to get there made it incredibly fulfilling.

You can tell your dry eye what I told my mom when this hit, "I'm not going to let this f$#! up my life." Just take care to be mindful of your symptoms. One reason dry eye is such a tough thing to deal with is that there are no universal treatments out there and some things that help some patients do nothing or even harm others. But as you embark on a new job, you can simultaneously embark on the journey to get to know your dry eyes, know what helps, what doesn't, and always be on the look out for that next thing that might help. You can strike a balance where you go on about your life while also managing your dry eye so you don't push it to the point you cause unnecessary damage to your eyes. I feel like I have found a balance that minimizes the sacrifices I have to make due to my dry eyes.

So, if you want the job, I encourage you to take it. A good place to start would be to quit wearing contacts (if you haven't already), buy some good moisture chambers and wear them always when you look at the computer (I'm a huge fan of the Ziena line that Rebecca sells from this site). Be ready to face some adversity, the road might be bumpy, but with some determination you can endure the bumps and find some very rewarding self satisfaction.

Congrats on the job offer and good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X