Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can allergy shots cause further dry eyes pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can allergy shots cause further dry eyes pain?

I was tested for allergies and they said I was allergic to all these environmental allergies. I asked them if getting the shot to desensitize me from these allergies could make my dry eyes worse. They said it can maybe make them better. So I did it, before i knew I have to do it once a week for 2 years! now, no way. But now i am scared about these working like an antihistamine or decongestant somehow? Do allergy shots work like these kinds of meds? If not, how do they work? I am scared now because I am not sure they necessarily know about dry eyes in general but I did tell them in advance that i had them. Anyone know? Thank you.

Vicki:

Like you, I also have allergies and was encouraged to take these shots. They're actually desensitization shots. I think the theory is similar to that of homeopathy: take a very diluted amount of the thing you're allergic to, and allow your body to slowly build up immunity (tolerance, antibodies, whatever) to the allergen. Actually, now that I think about it, that's similar to a vaccine, too, isn't it?

I am fairly sure that since this is how these shots work, they do not contain antihistamines or anything like that--that is, anything that might increase dryness of the eyes.

Hope this helps.

Randal

Comment

Thank you Randal for easing my mind! I very much appreciate it. I wont go back though as I have too much medical stuff going on to worry about allergies now.

Comment

Working...
      X