Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temporary blindness caused by night time cellphone use!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary blindness caused by night time cellphone use!

This is something I just freaked out after reading :

https://www.sun-gazing.com/tw1o-wome...medium=twitter

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post
    This is something I just freaked out after reading :

https://www.sun-gazing.com/tw1o-wome...medium=twitter
    So I have an iPhone X...I can change the blue in my screen to red. It’s called night shift. You can customize it to take pretty much all the blue out if you want. Much easier on my eyes.

Before this all happened, I was doing stupid shit with my phone. As soon as I’d wake up, without my glasses on, I would put the phone right in front of my face and close one eye and read it. Once One eye got tired, I switched. I remember I was reading at night and just staring at my phone. I said to my wife, man my eyes burn (let me say, that would be welcome now after the pain I’ve endured) she said, close them, build up some tears you should be fine. This was the start of my eye issues. Well, the start of me noticing them I should say.

Off subject, it’s just a real kick in the pants man. I’ve said it before but it’s so hard to wrap my head around. How can do many people have worse sleep apnea than me. How can people eat worse and be fatter than me. Older than me. Not working out. How can I be the one with this rare disease? I cannot understand it...I know, genetics explain the issue. I still can’t grasp it...makes no sense. Makes me feel like everything I said and did was for nothing. Why suffer through all the workouts and not eating the food you want, what was all that for? I thought I was suffering for a greater pay out in the future. Then I see 400lb people that eat whole cakes everyday have no problems, at least not this bad. Why couldn’t I have gotten ****ing diabetes, lol. I’m sure I’ll get that too now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowork123 View Post

So I have an iPhone X...I can change the blue in my screen to red. It’s called night shift. You can customize it to take pretty much all the blue out if you want. Much easier on my eyes.
      I am using two blue light filter apps on my android phone namely "Twilight" and "Night Owl". They do a pretty decent job. I have blue light filter coated glasses fitted to my nereus. So two layers of protection for additional safety. My sleep has been better after I switched to the blue light filter coated lenses.

Before this all happened, I was doing stupid shit with my phone. As soon as I’d wake up, without my glasses on, I would put the phone right in front of my face and close one eye and read it. Once One eye got tired, I switched. I remember I was reading at night and just staring at my phone. I said to my wife, man my eyes burn (let me say, that would be welcome now after the pain I’ve endured) she said, close them, build up some tears you should be fine. This was the start of my eye issues. Well, the start of me noticing them I should say.
      I used to do pretty much the same thing with both eyes open lol. I used to read staring at my phone for 7-8 hours at a stretch until I was too tired and dozed off unconsciously to sleep. This continued for at least 2 years before my dry eyes dramatically got severe.

Off subject, it’s just a real kick in the pants man. I’ve said it before but it’s so hard to wrap my head around. How can do many people have worse sleep apnea than me. How can people eat worse and be fatter than me. Older than me. Not working out. How can I be the one with this rare disease? I cannot understand it...I know, genetics explain the issue. I still can’t grasp it...makes no sense. Makes me feel like everything I said and did was for nothing. Why suffer through all the workouts and not eating the food you want, what was all that for? I thought I was suffering for a greater pay out in the future. Then I see 400lb people that eat whole cakes everyday have no problems, at least not this bad. Why couldn’t I have gotten ****ing diabetes, lol. I’m sure I’ll get that too now.
      I can understand your frustration man. But honestly sometimes we don't have a clue as to why such horrendous things happen to us and not the people around with shitty lifestyles. I never smoked in my entire life. I never drank an iota of alcohol. I never took drugs. I never abused medicines. I never ditched a girl faking a relationship for sex like my mates did in school and college. I am still a virgin lol. I am not even a caffeine addict (don't drink tea or coffee). I don't remember anything I did that was utterly bad or unacceptable either logically or morally except that I abused my eyes to stare at computers for 12+ hours a day on an average for the last 9 years. The ONLY crime I had committed that I can remember to screw up my eyes.

Comment

Milo007 Can I ask you to think real hard...do you believe there is anything you do that’s causing this? I know you said your only crime was watching a screen too closely for years. Do you think your sleep may be a factor at all? I know you mentioned it a few times.

Im asking because I’m realizing the weightlifting I was doing has contributed to my eye problems. I just realized the other day I was holding my breath on the last few hard reps. My vision goes blurry and I start getting a dull ache in my head. So I pull back next training session and only do the reps if I can fully breath through them, no straining. Low and behold, no headache, no blurry vision after a heavy set. I literally have been damaging my eyes everyday for the last 16 years lifting weights like an insane person. I thought I’m helping myself and I’m causing the glaucoma.

When I asked the glaucoma doc about this she says yes, anything that causes pressure to increase dranatically will also cause eye pressure to increase. I cannot lift heavy ever again. I wish I had known. I wonder why other people lifting like me don’t have that issue. There are very few people that lift like that anyway. So it makes sense. I feel dumb.

Comment

Milo007 Can I ask you to think real hard...do you believe there is anything you do that’s causing this? I know you said your only crime was watching a screen too closely for years. Do you think your sleep may be a factor at all? I know you mentioned it a few times.
          I wish I could figure out what's exactly going wrong with me with regards to my eyes. For around a month I have been experimenting with drugs and various other measures to find out what's causing the glands to malfunction. From 21st February I have been on doxycycline 100mg daily and I took it until 26th March (34 days). I was surprised as to how significantly it improved my lipid secretions after 2 weeks. I observed clear lipids coming out of my gland openings in copious volumes with just a touch over the eyelids. I was ecstatic. The third week was the best period of my life in the last two years. I could observe my lid margins coated with super thick clear and shiny lipids almost all day. Can you believe that man? I could gaze straight looking at the ceiling fan (running at 200+ RPM) for more than 10 seconds and I felt nothing. I could stay comfortably in an AC environment. How insane is that?

But it all lasted until the 3rd week and possibly the beginning of fourth week. For some odd reason I felt a sharp pain one day (middle of fourth week) underneath my lower eyelids that woke me up and I removed the tapes over my eyelids to see that my palpebral conjunctiva was bright reddish and my eyes felt very uncomfortable. I knew something went terribly wrong. After that day my lipid secretions went down drastically within 2 days. So what is to be blamed?

I am pretty sure I tape my eyes very well every night. Now the only thing that has changed from the time my eye problems seeped in is that my sleep has been of very poor quality (for the last two years or more). I do sometimes wake up gasping for air in the middle of my sleep. But there are days when I have a sound sleep. The days when my sleep is optimum my eyes feel rested, moist and very comfortable upon waking up. As if they had never felt so good before. Those nights when I feel like having some breathing issues and a disturbed sleep I wake up with fatigued and aching eyes even if I tape my eyes correctly. Guess what?

Those days when I have a sound sleep the inside of my eyelids and the nasal corners of my eyes appear pale. The days when I have poor quality sleep they appear bright reddish and feel uncomfortable. The volume of secretions is in perfect harmony with how I my eyes feel when I wake up. If say I have 5-7 days of sound sleep back to back with no issues my lipid secretions go up crazily. This may explain why my eyes are so variably good or bad.

I explained my concern to my doctor. He has suggested a sleep study. If nothing is found in 3-4 sessions of polysomnography then he will do a laryngoscopy on me to check my airway passage for any issues. I can't think of any other reason for such high variability in my eye condition despite the fact that I was on doxycycline for all those days of observation complemented with all time use of MCG.
          Last edited by Milo007; 27-Mar-2019, 02:05.

Comment

If you have sleep apnea, it will take one polysombograph. I thought just like you, I don’t always have problems, but no. Its always happening. I think on nights you don’t notice it, it’s due to sleep position or repositioning yourself properly before being aroused. I have had sleep apnea since I was 5 years old. I never snores. I just stop breathing. It’s like I get so relaxed I don’t want to even breath anymore.

Im coming off opiates too so hopefully when I’m off them completely, my breathing will no longer be depressed. It wasn’t until I started opiates after the intitiao injury that I began to snore.

Comment

If you have sleep apnea, it will take one polysombograph. I thought just like you, I don’t always have problems, but no. Its always happening. I think on nights you don’t notice it, it’s due to sleep position or repositioning yourself properly before being aroused. I have had sleep apnea since I was 5 years old. I never snores. I just stop breathing. It’s like I get so relaxed I don’t want to even breath anymore.

Im coming off opiates too so hopefully when I’m off them completely, my breathing will no longer be depressed. It wasn’t until I started opiates after the intitiao injury that I began to snore.
              You know man I feel so tired even after 10-12 hours of sleep. I keep yawning just after waking up. It's been like that for the last 10 years at least. That's another reason I think I might have sleep problems. Earlier I thought the chronic daytime fatigue was due to underactive thyroid.

Comment

If you have sleep apnea, it will take one polysombograph.
                Is it true for all forms of sleep apnea?

Also can other pulmonary conditions cause similar effects in your body as sleep apnea?

I guess sleep apnea results in reduced oxygen in your blood and results in the realease of inflammatory molecules systemically. Theoretically any condition that disrupts normal breathing should manifest similar effects in your body. I might be wrong. But there are some days I feel great in terms of sleep quality and refreshment after waking up. Other days are crappy. Also the episodes of being choked and waking up prematurely gasping for air happens irregularly.

Could the severity of the sleep apnea vary on a timely basis?

I have noticed that I tend to have the breathing problems when sleeping over my back. I feel more comfortable sleeping side ways. Infact I switch to sideways position of sleep on most nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo007 View Post

Is it true for all forms of sleep apnea?

Also can other pulmonary conditions cause similar effects in your body as sleep apnea?

I guess sleep apnea results in reduced oxygen in your blood and results in the realease of inflammatory molecules systemically. Theoretically any condition that disrupts normal breathing should manifest similar effects in your body. I might be wrong. But there are some days I feel great in terms of sleep quality and refreshment after waking up. Other days are crappy. Also the episodes of being choked and waking up prematurely gasping for air happens irregularly.

Could the severity of the sleep apnea vary on a timely basis?

I have noticed that I tend to have the breathing problems when sleeping over my back. I feel more comfortable sleeping side ways. Infact I switch to sideways position of sleep on most nights.
                  Same, my breathing issues happen on my back mostly. If I move to my side, I can avoid the blockage. Or if immlaynh on my back, I’ll twist me neck left or right very hard. Kills my neck but I do it because I breath better.

The night I had my test I didn’t wake up and I felt nothing. My blood oxygen level dropped to 81 or 83% can’t reneber and I held my breath for 32 seconds at one point. I FELT NOTHING! I said the same thing, I think one night it’s happening one night it’s not. He assured me if something was going on, they would find it. It doesn’t just go away. He was a young tech (40)but he seemed very experienced.

Comment

Same, my breathing issues happen on my back mostly. If I move to my side, I can avoid the blockage. Or if immlaynh on my back, I’ll twist me neck left or right very hard. Kills my neck but I do it because I breath better.

The night I had my test I didn’t wake up and I felt nothing. My blood oxygen level dropped to 81 or 83% can’t reneber and I held my breath for 32 seconds at one point. I FELT NOTHING! I said the same thing, I think one night it’s happening one night it’s not. He assured me if something was going on, they would find it. It doesn’t just go away. He was a young tech (40)but he seemed very experienced.
                    You are giving me scary thoughts lol.

Now going by your experience I think I might be having sleep apnea. I don't know what to expect but if I have sleep apnea how bad would it possibly be in terms of my quality of life?

I can't imagine carrying a CPAP machine everywhere I have to travel throughout my life! Even if I need to doze off for 10 minutes in my workplace I would need the CPAP! This is basically life long torture.

Comment

Nowadays, cellphone screen time usage has increased dramatically and causing the problem of myopia and it can lead to high blindness. To avoid this, you need to get used to the simple things like reading books, outdoor activities, myopia exercises for your eyes relaxing. Especially parents should take the care of their children's eyes with screen time parental control apps on child's phone.

Comment

Working...
                      X