Azasite/Azithromycin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azasite/Azithromycin question

I've seen some promising comments on this board recently about azithromycin. Following an extremely rough winter, I am seeing a new ophthalmologist who has started me on Azasite, since none of my eye docs have done so to date. (I have been diagnosed in the past with MDG and at times blepharitis). I am to use it for 6 weeks along with the other interventions (warm compresses at night, omega 3, 8 glasses of water a day, non-preservative lubrication drops,etc.), then have a follow-up.

Is it the case that increased eye redness is normal when using this prescription? It seems as if I have red on this discussion board that it is, and that such redness might last for the duration of treatment. I would say that my eyes seem slightly redder and dryer since using these drops, but last week I had two nights when I was actually able to watch television with my family and night without the usual eye discomfort (which is to say, I didn't have to keep my eyes closed 60-70% of the time). I also felt less exhausted, which makes me wonder if my body has been fight the inflammation in my eyes.

I appreciate any thoughts!

If you feel better, I wouldn’t concern myself with the redness. It’s an irritating drug. I’m not sure how you were asked to administer the drop, but it hurts no matter what. So I suspect yes, your eyes will possibly be red for the duration of treatment. But watching tv with my family would outweigh that concern for me.

Comment

Originally posted by shar_63 View Post
      I've seen some promising comments on this board recently about azithromycin. Following an extremely rough winter, I am seeing a new ophthalmologist who has started me on Azasite, since none of my eye docs have done so to date. (I have been diagnosed in the past with MDG and at times blepharitis). I am to use it for 6 weeks along with the other interventions (warm compresses at night, omega 3, 8 glasses of water a day, non-preservative lubrication drops,etc.), then have a follow-up.

Is it the case that increased eye redness is normal when using this prescription? It seems as if I have red on this discussion board that it is, and that such redness might last for the duration of treatment. I would say that my eyes seem slightly redder and dryer since using these drops, but last week I had two nights when I was actually able to watch television with my family and night without the usual eye discomfort (which is to say, I didn't have to keep my eyes closed 60-70% of the time). I also felt less exhausted, which makes me wonder if my body has been fight the inflammation in my eyes.

I appreciate any thoughts!
      I used Azyter which I believe is the same thing as Azasite for one month last year, and can confirm it burns badly and causes redness. The doctor told me this would happen but to stick with it. Unfortunately it didnt work for me, but some people get good results so its worth carrying on with it.

Comment

Thanks to you both. Crossing fingers that this helps. If not, well, on to the next thing!

Comment

Working...
        X