Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Doxy cause more dry eye?

Hello

I did full plug a few month ago and my eyes were overflowing all the time. Since I started doxy two months ago, I got less overflow. However in the last two weeks, my eyes have been so dry.

Now, should I stop doxy? Can doxy cause more dry eye?
    Can I do Xiidra more than twice a day?

I feel lost and hopeless.

1) You have to remember that the symptoms you feel, may not be directly correlated to the progress of the disease.

Not overflowing could be a good sign -- i.e., you produce less water tears because your lipid layer is now more stable.

2) I've talked to some doctors and Xiidra QID (4 times a day) -- seems like a good option for some patients. The reason is:
    2a) Safety -- Xiidra is very safe, Xiidra drug trials were actually for TID (3 times a day) and maybe even QID (4 times a day).
    2b) Xiidra has a very short half life -- i.e., it gets cleared from your body almost immediately -- so doing more frequent dosages can help.

Are you on Restasis as well? Personally, I am on Restasis and Xiidra both BID, I think the combination of the two really helps with controlling the inflammation and helping my MGD.

Have you tried IPL? I firmly believe in IPL capable of reducing inflammation, I am on IPL on a monthly schedule.

What is your current dosage of doxy? It is possible the Doxy is helping you, but you just don't feel it yet Have you tried Azithromycin, it is typically considered more effective than Doxy.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
      1) You have to remember that the symptoms you feel, may not be directly correlated to the progress of the disease.

Not overflowing could be a good sign -- i.e., you produce less water tears because your lipid layer is now more stable.

2) I've talked to some doctors and Xiidra QID (4 times a day) -- seems like a good option for some patients. The reason is:
      2a) Safety -- Xiidra is very safe, Xiidra drug trials were actually for TID (3 times a day) and maybe even QID (4 times a day).
      2b) Xiidra has a very short half life -- i.e., it gets cleared from your body almost immediately -- so doing more frequent dosages can help.

Are you on Restasis as well? Personally, I am on Restasis and Xiidra both BID, I think the combination of the two really helps with controlling the inflammation and helping my MGD.

Have you tried IPL? I firmly believe in IPL capable of reducing inflammation, I am on IPL on a monthly schedule.

What is your current dosage of doxy? It is possible the Doxy is helping you, but you just don't feel it yet Have you tried Azithromycin, it is typically considered more effective than Doxy.
      Thanks for your response.

Yes I have tried IPL. No help.

I am on 100 mg a day doxy. I stopped Xiidra while a back but started it again. I was on Resatsis and got horrific headache from it.

I have tried a short course of Azithromycin before.
      1. Is it a good sign to not overflow even with full plugs?
      2. How long should I take Azithromycin?
      3. Can I take Azithromycin and Doxy together?
      4. How long does it take for Xiidra to work?
      I will do Xiidra three times a day and tapered it down to twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by ebi1368 View Post

Thanks for your response.

Yes I have tried IPL. No help.

I am on 100 mg a day doxy. I stopped Xiidra while a back but started it again. I was on Resatsis and got horrific headache from it.

I have tried a short course of Azithromycin before.
        1. Is it a good sign to not overflow even with full plugs?
        2. How long should I take Azithromycin?
        3. Can I take Azithromycin and Doxy together?
        4. How long does it take for Xiidra to work?
        I will do Xiidra three times a day and tapered it down to twice a day.
        100mg for doxy is quite high, I was on 40mg before.

How many sessions of IPL did you do? Did you do upper and lowers? It still worth a try -- it took me 6+ sessions to symptomatically feel the difference. I now do monthly-IPL as I firmly believe it to help.

Azithromycin -- for oral -- usually just a z-pack. For topical, you can go once a day for a few wks time to see if it helps.

You can take Azithromycin with Doxy, but usually that's not done.

Why don't you try and get on Xiidra and Restasis , and hope there's no headache this time. Get on it for at least 6 months as it may take awhile to control the inflammation.

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post

100mg for doxy is quite high, I was on 40mg before.

How many sessions of IPL did you do? Did you do upper and lowers? It still worth a try -- it took me 6+ sessions to symptomatically feel the difference. I now do monthly-IPL as I firmly believe it to help.

Azithromycin -- for oral -- usually just a z-pack. For topical, you can go once a day for a few wks time to see if it helps.

You can take Azithromycin with Doxy, but usually that's not done.

Why don't you try and get on Xiidra and Restasis , and hope there's no headache this time. Get on it for at least 6 months as it may take awhile to control the inflammation.
          Please do not take Azythromyycin at the same time as Doxy, its either one or the other.
          When in doubt in regards to medication please discuss with your doctor first, its best to be safe.

Good luck

Comment

Hello

I did full plug a few month ago and my eyes were overflowing all the time. Since I started doxy two months ago, I got less overflow. However in the last two weeks, my eyes have been so dry.

Now, should I stop doxy? Can doxy cause more dry eye?
            Can I do Xiidra more than twice a day?

I feel lost and hopeless.
            Did you start xiidra a few weeks ago (3+) when the dryness started? The Chances doxy is causing this is slim. It may also be that you felt better and were staring more and blinking less. Lots of factors. I think it was probably the xiidra if I had to bet money on it. Doesn’t mean I’m right but I’d start there and work backward.

Comment

No I have been on Xiidra forever. Then I stopped in Janaury because of over tearing with 4 plugs.

Comment

No I have been on Xiidra forever. Then I stopped in Janaury because of over tearing with 4 plugs.
                Personally, I think plugs may not be good for MGD patients. Plugs at best may help with the symptoms but not the underlying cause (i.e., the inflammation). Plugs can actually introduce more inflammation since your tears are now unable to drain.

Are you on Restasis as well? you might want to give dual therapy Restasis + Xiidra -- I am currently on both. I also recommend trying a z-pack simultaneous as well (if you don't have access to Azyter). I still recommend IPL as well, as I found IPL to be beneficial for my case -- but you need to fin da good IPL provider, not all IPL treatments are the same.

Comment

Working...
                X