Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to consider when buying a new PC monitor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to consider when buying a new PC monitor?

Hi!

I've had dry eyes for like two years and it's pretty bad. I still have to work and study a lot using a computer, and I've been thinking of buying a new good quality monitor to hopefully help with the eyestrain. I'm also very much addicted to watching screens on my free time so there's that too. I don't know if the monitor is going to help, but I guess it's worth giving it a shot.

To put it short: what specs in a monitor affect dry eyes? I know the panel affects them at least, and people say that the IPS panel is the best. Some screens also say that they are flickerfree, which is good I guess. Lower bluelight is good too, right? (I have eyeglasses with bluelight filter already though) Asus has this "TUV certified eye care technology" but I don't know if it means much in reality.

But how about the resolution, refresh rate (for gaming), the size of the screen, how it can produce colours and other different specs? Do they affect dry eyes? What kind of monitor would you recommend for me? What are your experiences?

Below is some additional background information if you're interested:

My current PC laptop has a 15" 1080p resolution screen with IPS panel. Before I had a Macbook Pro with 13" retina. I have to say that maybe the Macbook Pro was easier on my eyes. I don't know why, but that's my gut feeling. The screen had a better resolution and maybe other stuff better too. I've also noticed a tendency with my eyes that smaller monitors give them less strain. I can use my Iphone X (with a 5,8" screen) a lot and it doesn't feel too bad. I also bought a Nintendo Switch (with a 6,2" screen) after I realized it became impossible for me to play games on a console with a big TV. For some reason looking at a big TV screen really makes my eyes hurt pretty fast. And for some reason I can play quite a bit with my Switch before my eyes start to get more sore than normally. I can play on my laptop, but my eyes get sore a lot faster than with The Switch, so I tend to avoid doing it most of the time. So big TV's are the worst, a laptop screen is ok but kind of bad, and small screens work the best. I'm not sure if the position of the screen also matters. With Iphone and The Switch I hold the screen below my eyes and pretty close to my face. TV is far away and you have to keep your eyes in that direction, it's difficult for me to "rest" my eyes like this. Laptop on lap or on table is sort of like between these two.

But for the new screen I've been thinking of trying something a bit bigger. I would like to try if it's not really about the size but more about the quality of the screen. I think it's about the size too but idk. I can refund the monitor if it's not working for me. I guess if the bigger screen doesn't help I could try something like a 10" portable screen or a ipad, or just try to survive with my current laptop.

I've also been thinking of getting a Kindle for reading pdf-files, books, articles and stuff like that. Kindles are almost as gentle as reading a normal book, right? The problem is you can't write with a Kindle and edit text. And I don't know if I have that much reading to do on screens to justify buying a Kindle for it. I googled out of curiosity "computer monitors with kindle screen" and there came up some failed kickstarters and tech demos of these e-ink screens, but I don't think there are really screens like that on the market at the moment. I think that could be pretty good for reading and writing at least. In that it wouldn't even matter that much if it was black and white.

What are your experiences with dry eyes and screens?

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what kind of screen you buy, as long as you're buying a "normal" sized 20 or something inch monitor.

What matters more is HOW you use it. Namely:
    • Limit your screen time, and take frequent breaks while on the computer. There are Chrome extensions such as eyeCare that can remind you to take breaks
    • Play around with your computer's accessibility settings (Windows 10 has a good sizing feature) to magnify text and icons
    • Position your monitor so that you look slightly down at it
    • Use a program such as f.lux to filter out blue light from your screen
    If you like to read books, I'd recommend buying a Kindle Paperwhite. It has an illuminated screen that isn't too harsh on the eyes, and you can easily magnify the font.

Also, podcasts and audiobooks are a good way to get away from screens, if you're worried about your blinking rate when reading.
    What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
    Dry Eye Survey
    IPL Doctors
    Probing Doctors

Comment

So you think a bigger monitor is better for dry eyes? And bigger font and stuff like that helps the strain? I can understand the logic. It's just kind of strange how using my iPhone or the Switch seems to cause much less strain than the 15" screen of my laptop. But I guess I won't find out until I get enough money to buy a new screen and try it by myself. I could already try making all the text bigger with accessibility settings to see if it makes a difference.

Just a couple of days ago I started using eyeCare extension. I hope it helps. And I've been already using f.lux and similar applications and I've tried positioning the monitor I'm using lower.

I've been thinking of getting a Kindle, especially now that I'm writing my thesis and I have to read a lot of ebooks and pdf articles. I also found some e-ink monitors but it seems like the technology is not really developed enough for it to be worth it to invest almost a grand to buy one. According to my research the Dasung Paperlike 3 is the best one at the moment (http://www.dasungtech.com/). For me the problem is not the black and white colours or the fact that it doesn't really perform well displaying videos and pictures, but the fact that it is only capable of displaying 5-6 frames per second. I know some people from the internet that use it for writing and coding and they say it doesn't bother them. But I think the lag would be too annoying. But I really hope this technology will evolve because I think these screens could be awesome for people with dry eyes!

Comment

E ink does make a massive difference, its like reading paper, however the problem is as you've mentioned they are very expensive, there are also e ink phones available, Hisense has just released a colour e ink phone

Comment

Working...
        X