Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning after restasis

Hey all,

I'm takig restasis now since 4 days, and after each instillation of the Drops my eyes burn and just feel very unconfortable for at leat 3-4 hours. Will this last all the time or may These Symptoms vanish as time goes by?

my eyes actually feel worse than before. And I'm taking the Drops to get rid of Burning eyes, now they burn even more! I'm just desperate, nothing seems to work…
    May it be the Castor oil in it that I don't tolerate?

Have you tried Xiidra? I find that to be the much better drug.

Comment

I was prescribed restasis but have never used it because of the side effects like burning listed. Far too scared!! Some people really rate it.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaDawn View Post
        I was prescribed restasis but have never used it because of the side effects like burning listed. Far too scared!! Some people really rate it.
        You should give it a try, if the side effects don't affect you, Restasis is a good drug to have in the toolbag against your fight of dry eyes.

Comment

sadly Xiidra isn't oficially available in Germany, so I can't get it prescribed. Maybe I could, an international pharmacy here could also order it, but then the insurance will not pay and it will cost me like 900 € a month. I can't afford that.

I really have the suspicion that the Castor oil is not good for my eyes.

Comment

I tried an eye drop in the Optive range and emilstil by Moorfields eye hospital that I believe contained caster oil and I could not tolerate them.

Comment

Yes, I really believe it is the Castor oil.

Ikervis did burn too. But not so Long after apllications. Only like 5 minutes up to 30 min. But restasis burns for Hours.
              I will talk to my doc to switch to Ikervis as it does NOT contain Castor oil.

Comment

Xiidra isn’t available yet in UK too. Am hoping NICE will make it available later summer 2020 and then hoping to give it a trial.

Comment

Originally posted by insidious988 View Post
                  Hey all,

I'm takig restasis now since 4 days, and after each instillation of the Drops my eyes burn and just feel very unconfortable for at leat 3-4 hours. Will this last all the time or may These Symptoms vanish as time goes by?

my eyes actually feel worse than before. And I'm taking the Drops to get rid of Burning eyes, now they burn even more! I'm just desperate, nothing seems to work…
                  May it be the Castor oil in it that I don't tolerate?

you can put Restasis in refrigerator. that's what i do. Remember it takes up to 6 months to actually see progress its for the long haul.

xidra, they say works faster... i use both..

restasis makes my eyes a little red. inner eyelid... i wiped down with diluted tea tree oil on lids which helps with that.

i like Xidra better... but they both work on different inflamations paths.

Comment

sadly Xiidra isn't oficially available in Germany, so I can't get it prescribed. Maybe I could, an international pharmacy here could also order it, but then the insurance will not pay and it will cost me like 900 € a month. I can't afford that.

I really have the suspicion that the Castor oil is not good for my eyes.
                    Xiidra costs closer to $200 per month.

Comment

I have ordered Xiidra from an international pharmacy in Germany to the UK, using a UK prescription. If you find a pharmacy able to order from Canada, rather than the US, it should cost about 290EUR for a one month supply. The vials can be re-used, so I end up paying 145 EUR / month in effect.

Message me if you'd like details of the pharmacy i used.

Comment

Restasis never burned for me. If it's burning that much, it's probably not good for you. If it makes you feel better, I never found any positive effect from it. In fact I suspect it might have a slightly negative effect. Xiidra used to burn for me, but it seemed to help a little bit. After I got punctal plugs put in and my eyes were a little more moist, the burning was less, and I feel more of a positive effect. It's only mildly helpful though - and certainly not worth paying hundreds of $ for. You're better off spending that money on in-office treatments.

Comment

Originally posted by lipino View Post
                          Xiidra used to burn for me, but it seemed to help a little bit. After I got punctal plugs put in and my eyes were a little more moist, the burning was less, and I feel more of a positive effect. It's only mildly helpful though - and certainly not worth paying hundreds of $ for. You're better off spending that money on in-office treatments.
                          This depends entirely on the patient.

Comment

Originally posted by lipino View Post
                            Restasis never burned for me. If it's burning that much, it's probably not good for you. If it makes you feel better, I never found any positive effect from it. In fact I suspect it might have a slightly negative effect. Xiidra used to burn for me, but it seemed to help a little bit. After I got punctal plugs put in and my eyes were a little more moist, the burning was less, and I feel more of a positive effect. It's only mildly helpful though - and certainly not worth paying hundreds of $ for. You're better off spending that money on in-office treatments.
                            As Meibum Ian already mentioned: it depends on the patient.
                            Could you give some examples of in-office treatments?

@TS: if it keeps persisting you could ask your doctor to let the cyclosporine drops be made without castor oil (but with e.g. isoptotears) via a sterile laboratory, if that is a possibility. My drops are made by a labo of the clinic I am getting treated, but I don't know if that is a possibility for other people.

Comment

Hi,

I now use Ikervis and I am happy with it. Ikervis you just use 1 x day as opposed to the Drops I had before, they were 2 x day. Ikervis I use before going to Sleep. It burns slightly but tolerable. Then the next morning I don't feel anything from the burning.

Total opposite to the Drops with Castor oil. So I guess I was Right, I just wasn't tolerating the Castor oil. Slightly burning is a known factor with cyclosporine, but not hours after application...

Comment

Working...
                              X