Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to reverse atrophied meibomian glands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to reverse atrophied meibomian glands?

Are there being done any research on this? Is there any hope?

There is inconclusive/anecdotal evidence that it is possible, the general theory revolves around removing/reducing inflammation/obstruction, and give the glands a chance to re-grow.

Possible helpful treatments are, Xiidra/Restasis (to reduce inflammation), IPL (to reduce inflammation and activate glands), LipiFlow (to remove obstruction), Probing (to remove obstruction, especially fibrosis tissue).

None of these treatments have been concretely proven, there is scattered literature on LipiFlow and Probing to regrow glands, however if you read the research very carefully, it's not very convincing to high quality scientific rigour.

Comment

Thank you for the information!
      that is sad news...
      I just got off Restasis after 4 months, just made my eyes worse. So, guess giving up on living a normal life is next option.

Comment

Originally posted by Bertie Forp View Post
        Thank you for the information!
        that is sad news...
        I just got off Restasis after 4 months, just made my eyes worse. So, guess giving up on living a normal life is next option.
        Why did you decide to get off Restasis, since it appears Restasis is working for you -- I would recommend giving dual therapy w/ Xiidra and add IPL on top.

Comment

No it just made my eyes worse! Is not IPL dangerous?

Comment

I got off it because it made my eyes more red and inflammed

Comment

Working...
            X