Clear All

• Ikervis/Verkazia (Cyclosporin) Frustration in Canada

I am one of the believers cyclosporin helps. In Canada we have:

* Restasis (0.05%)
    * Teva-Cyclosporine (0.05%)

In the UK/EU/Japan we have:

* Ikervis (0.1%)
    * Verkazia (0.1%)

Ikervis and Verkazia are the *same* formulation (and from the same company). One is indicated for adults (Ikervis) while the other for children (Verkazia).

Ikervis was DENIED by Health Canada in April 2018:
    https://hpr-rps.hres.ca/reg-content/...inkID=RDS00379

but Verkazia was APPROVED by Health Canada, and is now moving towards being marketed, hopefully soon:
    https://hpr-rps.hres.ca/reg-content/...inkID=RDS00501

I'm very excited to try Ikervis/Verkazia as I believe it has a better delivery vehicle compared to Restasis. Since Ikervis was denied but Verkazia approved, hopefully adults will still have access to Verkazia once it comes on the market.

Hi, i take Ikervis

Why do you think it has a better delivery vehicle than restasis?

Comment

Originally posted by deep_dry_eye View Post
      I am one of the believers cyclosporin helps. In Canada we have:

* Restasis (0.05%)
      * Teva-Cyclosporine (0.05%)

In the UK/EU/Japan we have:

* Ikervis (0.1%)
      * Verkazia (0.1%)

Ikervis and Verkazia are the *same* formulation (and from the same company). One is indicated for adults (Ikervis) while the other for children (Verkazia).

Ikervis was DENIED by Health Canada in April 2018:
      https://hpr-rps.hres.ca/reg-content/...inkID=RDS00379

but Verkazia was APPROVED by Health Canada, and is now moving towards being marketed, hopefully soon:
      https://hpr-rps.hres.ca/reg-content/...inkID=RDS00501

I'm very excited to try Ikervis/Verkazia as I believe it has a better delivery vehicle compared to Restasis. Since Ikervis was denied but Verkazia approved, hopefully adults will still have access to Verkazia once it comes on the market.
      Hi, i use Ikervis. Can i ask why you think it's better than Restasis?

Thanks

Comment

I don't have solid evidence, it's just a hunch, and that's why I want to try it out myself.

Note, Restasis came on the market in 1999, while Ikervis came on the market in 2015. Restasis was denied approval in the EU market due to a lack of statistical significance, while Ikervis was approved, despite them having the same active ingredient (Cyclosporin). There's also a couple other (generic) formulations of Cyclosporin on the market/coming to the market, the main differentiator is the delivery vehicle while the active ingredient is the same.

Comment

I don't have solid evidence, it's just a hunch, and that's why I want to try it out myself.

Note, Restasis came on the market in 1999, while Ikervis came on the market in 2015. Restasis was denied approval in the EU market due to a lack of statistical significance, while Ikervis was approved, despite them having the same active ingredient (Cyclosporin). There's also a couple other (generic) formulations of Cyclosporin on the market/coming to the market, the main differentiator is the delivery vehicle while the active ingredient is the same.
          Hi,

Could you be more specific by what you mean by 'delivery vehicle '?

Comment

Originally posted by jack1988 View Post

Hi,

Could you be more specific by what you mean by 'delivery vehicle '?
            exactly what the name suggest, the vehicle to deliver the active ingredient (Cyclosporin) -- for example Cyclosporin has very poor solubility in water, and hence a vehicle is needed to dissolve the drug, and maintain it on the ocular surface long enough to penetrate to the targeted tissue.

Comment

exactly what the name suggest, the vehicle to deliver the active ingredient (Cyclosporin) -- for example Cyclosporin has very poor solubility in water, and hence a vehicle is needed to dissolve the drug, and maintain it on the ocular surface long enough to penetrate to the targeted tissue.
              also, ikervis is stronger, no? 1% vs 0.5%

Comment

Originally posted by jack1988 View Post

also, ikervis is stronger, no? 1% vs 0.5%
                Ikervis is meant for QD, once per day, Restasis is meant for BID, twice per day.

Comment

I am very interested in the difference between Restasis and Ikervis too. I think you can sometimes find the vehicle that carries the active ingredient more irritating. For example I think Restasis vehicle of delivery is caster oil which I cannot tolerate. I am from the UK.

Comment

Working...
                  X