Having Children and Dry Eye??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having Children and Dry Eye??

I have a dilemma - and don't know what to do.

I am almost 29 years old I've had disabling dry eye for 4 years now, and mild dry eye for 3 years before that.

I've recently (heartbreakingly) discovered that my two younger siblings (1 female, 1 male) are developing dry eye in their mid-twenties. My mom also has moderate to severe dry eye that developed after menopause. The two things we have in common are genetics and severe exposure to many types of toxic molds (we lived in an extremely frugal household with a hoarder - mold maintenance wasn't a priority). Anyway, most likely this is genetic, I'm unsure of what types of issues years of mold exposure will have on someone later in life, like autoimmune issues or something. I have tested negative for autoimmune diseases but I'm fairly confident I have SOME type of systemic disease. I have several other issues such as mild Prurigo Nodularis (in terms of number of nodules) and hormonal issues and breaking out in rashes all the time. If anyone has this combination of issues, please reach out.

Anyway - my husband and I always used to be sure we wanted children ever since we met after high school. But the older we get, the less we want them. And now I feel like it would almost be selfish to have them because I would never wish this disease upon anyone - nevermind my own child. Granted the gene pool would be mixed with my husband's, who really only has Type II Diabetes in his family history (which, while serious, can be prevented early) - but I'm just not convinced that's enough. Has anyone with this disease had children and now their children have the disease? Or visa versa? And how old are your children? Do other people in your family have dry eye that did not start due to Lasik or some other outside factor?

I had what I thought was a miracle for about 6 months of having low symptoms - I keep telling myself I'll get back to that. It was almost all diet - and with quarantine, I've cheated and cheated and now my symptoms are back in almost full force. I've been wanting to write on the "Success Story" forum but I'd hate to write something that isn't a sure thing - let me know if you'd like to hear what worked temporarily anyway, knowing my symptoms have returned. When I was at my worst, there was zero chance I'd be able to care for even a dog, nevermind a child. I wished to die every moment of those times. Again - reasons why I can't imagine being a mother to a child - despite everyone telling me I'd make such a good mom.

Anyway - please, with kindness and compassion as a fellow sufferer, what are your honest thought related to biology and genetics, and also having such severe symptoms and trying to raise children? Thank you and please be safe and get better. Don't ever give up hope, it's going to get better.

I can't speak for you or others, but I've personally decided to not have kids due to my dry eyes.

I am worried that I cannot support myself, nevermind my family, how can I have kids if I am disabled? It's a bit sad, but I don't want to put any potential kids in a sub-optimal situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      It was almost all diet - and with quarantine, I've cheated and cheated and now my symptoms are back in almost full force. I've been wanting to write on the "Success Story" forum but I'd hate to write something that isn't a sure thing - let me know if you'd like to hear what worked temporarily anyway, knowing my symptoms have returned.
      I'd be really interested to hear what your diet was.

Not having read enough about the history of this disease I am still tending to put our modern way of living to blame (diet, screens, health products and being over hygienic; if that is a thing, medication as accutane for example, airco, etc).

Comment

Working...
      X