Tip to create natural tears without gagging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip to create natural tears without gagging

I've read on here about making yourself gag to initiate tearing when you need some immediate relief, and natural tears do have nutrients that artificial tears don't, but it's kind of depressing to have to gag to make it happen. I found a method that is much more tolerable for me. There are 2 bumps on the back/base of your tongue, one on each side, the lingual tonsils. When I touch one bump and then the other and go back and forth, sticking my tongue out a bit to make them easier to reach, I find myself tearing up within seconds, without any gag reflex. I also find the tears keep producing for a little while, it's almost like a kickstart to the nerve to keep producing tears. I'm also wondering if there's a more subtle way than putting a finger back there, maybe keep some straws handy and try that (or a lollipop!)

I am almost desperate enough to try this. I am concerned this might not be healthy for you. Can check with a doctor?
    I can tell you that the New York Times Tiny Love Stories often make me tear up. There are certain books that can do that for me, but once I've read one it doesn't "work" a second time. You might try it. Mama's Bank Account is a nice old fashioned story that made me cry when I read it.

Comment

Working...
    X