Hypothetical questions about surgical procedures done to the eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical questions about surgical procedures done to the eyes

These questions might sound a bit crazy, but I am purely theoretical here, maybe this could bring some insight to another approach to treating dry eye disease

1. Can we somehow surgically cut off eye nerves that transmit pain sensation to brain? So that we don't feel anything from the eyes including burning sensation. Or if we cut nerves responsible for pain sensation do we also lose an ability to see?
    Does such surgical procedure have some serious adverse side effects?
    Why do post-Lasik people still feel eye pain after their eye nerves are cut? if eye nerve is cut, shouldn't any sensation from the eyes including pain be imperceptible by the brain? or maybe there are many various nerves in the eyes, each one for different function? and not the pain associated nerve is cut during Lasik procedure?

2. What if we just cauterize or scrape and cut off outermost layers (conjunctiva, cornea) of the eyes and leave them that way? Would a person after this procedure still be able to see? would that person stop feeling all this pain associated with dry eye disease?
    when I asked this question to eye doctor they said that there would be keratinisation of the outermost part of the eyes which would cause blurring of vision and blindness

3. What happens when we cut off outermost part of the eyes and possibly eyelids too?
    I suspect that all of the eye pain comes from outermost part of the eyes
    Would pain sensation be gone if these parts of the eyes are removed?
    What if we cut off outermost part of the eyes like conjunctiva and cornea and possibly eyelids and replace all this stuff by some artificial layers and artificial eyelids made out of plastic, silicone, or some special material?
    Does amniotic membrane transplant replace patient's outermost part of the eye or is it just placed on top of patient's eye?

4. What if we remove whole eyeball and leave only eye socket and possibly eyelids and replace the eyeball with an artificial glass ball with colored iris and artificial lens? Such artificial glass ball could be in a fixed position or be steered by some motor connected to an implant.
    Shouldn't a glass ball be capable of transmitting light signals from environment to eye retina on the back of the eyes? Is the eye retina located on the eye socket or on the rear side of eyeballs? if we remove eyeball then is eye retina also removed? or does eye retina become severed or damaged?
    I know that cameras work in the way that there is a glass lens with changeable position and aperture which focuses light signals on receptors. so I was wondering if a human needs all these eyelids, glands, vascularity, innervation and stuff. wouldn't a human be able to see just with an eye retina connected to nerve and some glass ball/lens to focus light signals on eye retina?
    Why are people with glass ball eye prosthesis considered blind?
    most part of the eye is called vitreous body and is somewhat similar to glass, I think, so I'm quite surprised that simple glass ball couldn't be able to replace the eye and transmit light signals
    Last edited by ostas12345; 30-Jun-2022, 08:22.

Originally posted by ostas12345 View Post
    These questions might sound a bit crazy
    Um yeah kinda

I'm going to suggest you read this article:
    How the Eyes Work

Can we somehow surgically cut off eye nerves that transmit pain sensation to brain? So that we don't feel anything from the eyes including burning sensation. Or if we cut nerves responsible for pain sensation do we also lose an ability to see?
    Yes, blindness would be the unfortunate side effect.

Why do post-Lasik people still feel eye pain after their eye nerves are cut? if eye nerve is cut, shouldn't any sensation from the eyes including pain be imperceptible by the brain? or maybe there are many various nerves in the eyes, each one for different function? and not the pain associated nerve is cut during Lasik procedure?
    It's not as though ALL their nerves are cut.

What if we just cauterize or scrape and cut off outermost layers (conjunctiva, cornea) of the eyes and leave them that way? Would a person after this procedure still be able to see? would that person stop feeling all this pain associated with dry eye disease?
    when I asked this question to eye doctor they said that there would be keratinisation of the outermost part of the eyes which would cause blurring of vision and blindness
    Believe your eye doctor. There's a reason eyes are designed the way they are.

What happens when we cut off outermost part of the eyes and possibly eyelids too?
    Does amniotic membrane transplant replace patient's outermost part of the eye or is it just placed on top of patient's eye?
    Consider phantom limb pain that amputees have. Our neurological systems are complex.
    Amniotic membrane is just placed on op.

Why are people with glass ball eye prosthesis considered blind?
    How the Eyes Work
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X