Can dry eye be like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can dry eye be like this?

Can dry eye cause constant bad vision, just like I have forgotten to put on my contact lens? Is it different from blurriness from refractive error? For example, will squinting help you see better?

I'm sorry, if my questions seem really silly. Here is some backstory. I had SMILE surgery done almost 5 months ago. With a month I got pretty good vision - for a week. After that I started to notice, that my right (dominant) eye sees quite well in the mornings, but vision deteriorates during the day. I complained to my doctor, but all she could say was that it is weird and maybe the vision is still settling. As the time went on I only got like 30 minutes of good vision in a day with my right eye. I complained to my doctor who checked my vision (I could see the line I have to, but not really clearly) and my eye (he said he did not see any signs of dryness). In the end he told me I see good enough and it is probably dryness and it is normal and maybe I could just try some other eye drops (I have used them properly since surgery). So basically I felt like I am complaining for nothing.

It has been couple of months after my last check up and my life has become really miserable. I don't get crisp vision even in the mornings and I have constant feeling like I forgot to put on one contact lens. My left eye is perfect, it can see 120% so it does compensate a lot, but I still constantly feel the difference in my eyes. It drives me crazy and I get daily panic-attack-like episodes because of this and I just feel how I cannot live like this. I have thought to contact my doctor, but I am scared. Even terrified. What if he dismisses me again saying I see plenty (well, I technically do, if I look with both eyes, but if I use just my bad eye, even road signs are blurry) or just says it is dry eye and try some other drops. Sometimes I even hope that maybe it is my myopia coming back as this should be fixable with enhancement (although after everything I am now also scared of this).

I have read other peoples' stories here and it seems that it is not common for blurry vision to be constant when it is caused by dry eye. I use drops all the time but they improve my vision only a little and for a second. I also don't have major other symptoms. Mild grittiness, but it subsides as soon as I but drops in.

I know that so many here have it so much worse than I have. But I am just so scared and stressed all the time and I have already tired my friends and family with complaining, so for a change I but my emotions here.

ElliM

Hello! I want to apologize for not responding sooner!

I would really like to talk with you about this. You can reach me at 800-484-0244. Short answer - no, this is not normal with dry eye, but I have some thoughts about your vision. You should be able to get more detailed diagnostic testing to explain what is going on with your vision and you definitely need more information before considering an 'enhancement'.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you for answering! I forgot for a while I wrote here. I still haven't got any solution to my problem and everything has gone so much worse. There was some better time in the summer, but mostly it is just torture. I still see a little bit better in the morning, but I see really blurry most of the time. And then comes times when my eye is extra bad, uncomfortable, feels puffy, I feel pressure and pain in my eye and my eye socket. It is also now accompanied with a head ache, which can be just from the stress and panic I feel all the time. It is definitely getting worse, the periods of feeling better are getting smaller and smaller. I have stopped going out as I cannot do anything as I can only think about my eye and I don't see. I have seen 4 different eye doctors, all they do is check my vision, look my eye and say is that it is probably dry eye, and maybe I should switch my eye drops and recommend to try something from the farmacy. They don't seem to understand how big of a problem it is for me, but it is. I cry daily and wish I could just end it all. I mean, I look fine, my left eye is ok, my eyes are not red or anything. But I am constantly uncomfortable and most importantly I can't see! I am also so stressed and time to time scared that it must be something else and I am equally scared of going blind and having to live like this for years.

We have in my country someone called dry eye nurse that doctors can send patients to, but my doctor said that they don't have any more advice anyway. I have been there once, they gave me some pads to clean my lids with and some vitamins. I have read about a lot of treatments in this forum, but I have not found anything about these in my country. And to be fair, I am not even sure, if the dry eye is the cause of my problem. I guess I should trust the doctors and I am just so hopeless and there is no help anywhere.
      ​​​

You wrote that you have some thought about my vision? Can you maybe elaborate? And sorry for the big complaining.
      ​​

Comment

Working...
      X