Alcohol and dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol and dry eye

There was a thread posted not long ago about how alcohol makes dry eye better. Over the weekend, while clint was at his grandma's house, I decided to partake of some spirits. This was for experimental purposes of course While I was drinking, the alcohol made my eyes worse, but I was also surrounded by cigarette smoke(yuck). I had to apply drops several times. As the night wore on, my eyes got worse because I was tired. I felt like one of the cartoon characters whose eyes get all bloodshot when they can't get any sleep When I finally went to bed at 3am , I rolled around till 7am when I awoke wide awake and so not feeling refreshed. My eyes were kinda dry, but they have been drier. They felt uncomfortable, like stinging a little. I took a nap later in the day for about an hour and a half, and my eyes hardly bothered me that day. I am not a frequent drinker, maybe once every two months, but when I do drink my eyes do not bother as much the next day even though I definitely have not had quality sleep. I have no idea why it helps but it does. My eyes are less red the next day, and they just feel more comfortable. Now you guys don't read this and become raging alcoholics

I actually think the same thing. my eyes feel much better the day after i drink. I have no idea if there is any correlation, but my eyes do feel better the next day

Comment

So far for me, drinking is bad news. While I'm drinking I don't notice my eyes as much, but the next day is always really hard on them. Just a few weeks ago, I was having a good day, and decided to go out. I was in a smoky bar for several hours, drank alot, and neglected my eye drops. It took about 3 days after that for my eyes to get back to "normal". I think it was a combination of the smoke, no drops, and ofcourse being dehydrated. It is funny how we all react differently the following day.

Comment

Alcohol interferes with fatty acid metabolism, and as such will lower production of prostaglandins and also the formation of phosphatidycholine - the major lipid component of the lipid layer of the tear film.

Taken together this will worsen dry eye in most people, and is a cause of mild dry eye in people who otherwise don't suffer much (including me!!).

I have no idea how it may help some people though!!! Perhaps for people who suffer because of already faulty pathways, the increase of inhibition from alcohol kicks the body into overcompensation the next day???

Comment

Working...
        X