Blocked oil glands, drops, lattice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocked oil glands, drops, lattice

I live in a small town in Idaho called Pocatello and I wanted to try some of those eye drops that are compounded but what internet site do I go to and how much do they cost? I have Blepharitis or Meiobian gland dysfunction and I am seeing the doctor tomorrow to get on doxy but I would like to try the eye drops, my eyes are getting worse and worse every day now, I cant even sleep good, I wake up too early to clean my eyes out. Clean the mucus out and put artificial tears in because I can barely open them in the morning. Do those drops work good, will doctors ever be able to formulate a drop that can cure MGD or Blapheritis? Feeling so depressed too, its nice to know that I am not the only one suffering from eye problems though.
    I had never in my life heard of this sort of thing and I am happy to find a site where others are going through the same thing or even worse. Also what do you know about Lattice degeneration? Is that something to really worry about? They diagnosed me with that too and said I had it really bad and my retnia could become detached. I am just so sick of problems, why cant we all be healthy without any medical problems??? Well if you could try to answer some of my questions it would be nice, that was cute about the Disney thing, the ducky degree lol.. Have a good night. Delilah

Hi Delilah,

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk!

Originally posted by Delilah
    I wanted to try some of those eye drops that are compounded but what internet site do I go to and how much do they cost?
    There have been a few mentioned on the site so I'm not sure which you're referring to... but if you mean Dwelle, Dakrina and NutraTear, they will be available here in a week's time (samples of Dwelle and Dakrina will be free except for shipping & handling).

I have Blepharitis or Meiobian gland dysfunction and I am seeing the doctor tomorrow to get on doxy but I would like to try the eye drops, my eyes are getting worse and worse every day now, I cant even sleep good, I wake up too early to clean my eyes out. Clean the mucus out and put artificial tears in because I can barely open them in the morning.
    I am very sorry to hear how severe this is becoming for you. With bleph or MGD you may want to consider some additional steps such as lid therapy, eye protection and Omega 3/6s (more information at each of the links). If you're interested in additional areas to research you might want to read the threads here about demodex (do a search on that word) - I've been fascinated to learn about this for the first time on this BB and I wonder if it might be applicable in your situation considering the acceleration of symptoms.

Also what do you know about Lattice degeneration? Is that something to really worry about? They diagnosed me with that too and said I had it really bad and my retnia could become detached.
    Well, worry never does us any good but it's certainly no laughing matter. We're not doctors though and can't give any guidance about this specifically. Have they recommended, or have you had, any laser treatment for it?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

What I know about Lattice Degeneration

Delilah --

I was diagnosed several years ago with Lattice Degeneration. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with dry eyes (which relate to the cornea = eye surface, and the tear mechanism = eyelids and the various glands and drainage systems which are producing and maintaining the tear film).

Here's my layperson's understanding of Lattice Degeneration = a condition at the back of the eye, dealing with the area of the retina. According to my doctors it is relatively common among people like me, with myopia (nearsightedness), particularly as we get older. Yes, they told me that it is potentially serious -- BUT there are usually signs and symptoms of a potential retinal crisis which a patient can learn about. My retinal doctor has me on the list of patients who will be seen the very same day if I call to report such symptoms: "flashers" (the experience of flashing lights within my eyes) or "floaters" (sudden appearance of new spiderweb thingies or black dots beyond what I already know are there when I look at the sky or a white surface). In my life, Lattice Degeneration is a back-of-the-mind thing -- nothing to worry about, as long as I don't have such symptoms. In fact, I did have symptoms last year, and was immediately treated with a back-of-the-eye laser to re-attach the part that was disconnecting from my retina (my eye doc compared it to re-pasting wallpaper that was peeling).

In the short run, Delilah, I think you are doing the right thing, dealing constructively with the bleph / MGD which is currently interfering with your quality of life.

mary

Comment

Thank you so much

Thank you so much for the information and the sympathy. Did the laser surgery help? Did it hurt? I have near-sightedness as well, a couple of my friends had the surgery so they don't have to wear glasses, it just scares me to death. Anywho its getting late, I hope all is well with you too Time to go scrub my freaking eyes LOL, thanks again Delilah

Comment

Working...
        X