Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Environmental stressors and DES

Hello everybody,

This is a great forum. I've had dry eye for a couple of years now--red sclera plus intense burning sensations and I think the info on this forum may have, if not put me on the road to recovery, at least alerted me as to how to prevent aggravting it, and possibly steer me away from many personally and financially expensive pitfalls.

I've spent about two hours browsing thru posts and haven't found this particular topic addressed, which might mean I haven't spent enuf time but I need to limit my computer use so this is it:

if a/c, spaceheaters, and a dry climate are chief initial causes of dry eye then how long after these irritants are removed and lipid-friendly measures institutee--like a humidifier and that th. night mask thingie, should the lipid surface start to reassert itself?

I'm a 46 year old woman, so my dryness might be partly age-induced. About a month ago I started taking cold-pressed flaxseed oil (the brand that begins with "B.", I've also started taking fish oil capsules and will try to get myself to eat omega-e fish every other day (omega-3 oils were the one thing I realized was completely missing from my daily diet, otherwise I avoid supplements.).

In the summer I always, always, have the a/c or fan on--in my home, offie, and car. In the winter I always have a spaceheater on, everywhere. I used to also sleep with a fan on, because of it's white noise effect. Beginning two days ago, after reading this forum, I realized this continued air ventilation was the one constant whereever I was--and I travel a fair amount. I've just bot the air o swiss room humidifier and I'm awaiting arrival of the th. night mask thingie. Bought some saline solution for my eyes.

I am going to give all these measures a try before I start rushing off to doctors and/or spending more money.

Question: how long should it take for my lipid layer to restore itself if these environmental irritants were the cause?

And this is my confusion--if it is exposure to contact lenses or excessively dry air that is responsible for someone's des, how does it actually impair the mbg? Shouldn't someone's eyes get back to normal. ie. lubricated with lipids--fairly soon?

Hope this question isn't too verbose.

Great website, great forum, great public health service.

Jennifer

Addendum:

I don't know if my dry eye comes from not having enough of the proper oil or the proper tears--i--but what I'm wondering is if the environment stressors disable or inhibit proper functioning of the m. oil gland or the larcimanal glands? If so, how? If not, then shouldn't the respective glands begin being able to coat the eye's surface with oil and water soon after the environmental stressors are removed?

Comment

Working...
    X