need some car travel advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some car travel advice

I could use a few good tips about how to take a long car trip w/ DES...had my first experience last week and boy was it unpleasant. got stuck in a snowstorm in central VT w/ the car heater on and 19 hours later returned home w/ red irritated eyes. 9 days later, they're still pinkish and a little sore and I'm headed to the eye dr tomorrow afternoon to have him look them over. My question, how to make the next time around more bearable. Would panoplex eye wear help?

I won't sit in a car...day or night...without my Panoptx in place. It's so dry in a car...
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Does anyone know if there is an effective car humidifier?

I know the car is not an ideal place for a humidifier since water is involved and it would need to be stable, but these two things could be worked out if someone was in serious need (and some of us are). Thanks.

Comment

I agree with Diana about Panoptx. I think nothing is as effective as the really good foam it has.

However personally I have mostly opted for Wiley-X because of the better side vision. I once did a write-up comparing the two at this thread
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Sparrow,

check this out: http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....*hm0169*759274

It is a humidifier that operates in vehicles. I am actually considering buying it myself.

Comment

Recent personal experience

Hi Sparrow,
            I just made a three day car trip to Rochester, Minn.( six days in car all total). Terribly dry air, 13 below 0 while we were there. I took everything imaginable with me to try to prepare for the trip. The most valuable things I found in my trip were my Panotyx sunglasses, a baseball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes (I could turn it around on my head to any angle to always keep a visor over my eyes), and my bottle of Visine Pure (I could use it in just about any situation because I didn't have to worry about using the little vials). The next thing I found was the little Medisana Personal Humidifier. I could pack it in my suitcase it was so small and very effective to use in a motel/hotel room. And it ran effectively for 8-9 hours. All of these things made my eyes so much more comfortable. I experimented from day to day and found all these things to be things I wouldn't do without again.

Billye
            Last edited by Silverlady; 08-Jan-2007, 12:50. Reason: forgot something.

Comment

I cannot step foot in a car either in summer or winter without panoptx glasses on. They are a godsend for car travel. If you can afford them, I encourage you to go this route.

Comment

Hi Sparrow,
                Humidity varies greatly over USA. While I was in WA state last Fall I had to put drops in every 30 min while driving. Now in AL and GA I drove 2h without having drops in; need to specify that I did not use A/C or heat as outdoor temperature was around 50-60F. In my apartment, the humidity was no less than 50% over the last month, sometime as high as 65%.
                Summer in here is much more humid, but to use A/C is a must. So far I did not experience driving with my DES in this hot summer. Before getting DES was fine, but A/C was on all the time.

Best Regards,

George

Comment

Originally posted by 20/20_Hindsight
                  I cannot step foot in a car either in summer or winter without panoptx glasses on. They are a godsend for car travel. If you can afford them, I encourage you to go this route.
                  I got Panoptyx and they do work well in the car UNTIL the lenses start to fog up while I'm driving. This has happened the last few times I've used them in the car after only about 5 minutes. My eyes feel good when the Panoptyx is on, but the fogged lenses ultimately create a hazard for me to drive and I have to take them off.

Am I unique with this lens fogging issue? Is there maybe something I'm doing wrong with wearing the glasses? If anyone has had experience with this issue and figured out a work-around, please let me know. Thanks. YGB, aka Hawk-"dry"-eye

Comment

Never had it happen. I would suspect the fit first-off. The only time I've ever had a Panoptx fog up was when it was a style that didn't fit correctly.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

I got the Sirocco because they were the most snug fit. Maybe they are so snug that the humidity builds up too much. I suppose I'll try to loosen them a bit and see if that helps. However, I thought the snugger, the better but not if it means fogged lenses.

P.S. Rebecca, I sent Dr. Latkany a question on goblet cells that he referenced in his latest post. I guess he received it but it is not showing up on the thread. Is it being held in purgatory until you or the almighty one releases it? I hope so since I'd have to type it out again (did not save elswhere ). Thanks.

Comment

Purgatory? Kind of . . .

As noted in the Forum Guidelines, Dr. Latkany's forum is moderated by Rebecca, which means she must personally approve every post before it appears in the forum for Dr. L's response. This is done mostly out of respect for the good doctor's time, so he won't have to deal with too many repeats or inappropriate questions.

So yes, there will generally be a delay between the time you post and the time it appears in the forum. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya' Gotta Believe
                          I got the Sirocco because they were the most snug fit. Maybe they are so snug that the humidity builds up too much. I suppose I'll try to loosen them a bit and see if that helps. However, I thought the snugger, the better but not if it means fogged lenses.

P.S. Rebecca, I sent Dr. Latkany a question on goblet cells that he referenced in his latest post. I guess he received it but it is not showing up on the thread. Is it being held in purgatory until you or the almighty one releases it? I hope so since I'd have to type it out again (did not save elswhere ). Thanks.
                          Hmmm. Snug is good - the foam should go right to your face with no gap. - You might want to talk to Panoptx about the snow foam eyecup which is supposed to give extra protection against fogging.

As T.A. noted all posts in the Dr. forum go into a queue. I check it at least once a day, but don't necessarily release posts immediately.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

I have 5 pairs of panoptx goggles and one fogs badly. It is the snuggest, best fitting ones. For fogging while driving, I have to take them off every 2 minutes and wave them around till the fog disipates. One thing that seems to make fogging worse is they are in a warm house and go on your face and into a cooler temp car. Seems like after 30 or so minutes they acclimate and get less fogging.

I have found no real solution to this fogging problem and panoptx told me to rinse the lenses under cool water which did not help at all.

Comment

Have you tried the stuff that skiers put on their goggles to prevent fogging? I think it's called Cat crap or something like that, but it seems to work well on ski goggles so maybe it would work on Panoptx too.

Comment

Working...
                              X