No announcement yet.

At Wits End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jay - it is good to hear that you are tweaking your plan. I would encourage diligence and perseverance since those seem to be the two ingredients that are needed to get us through this ordeal.

As for the humidifier, the one I recommended in my previous post is a warm mist humidifier and is very easy to clean and fill. Also, I buy the Nature's Tears online at the website I listed. It's cheaper per unit buying the 3 pack on the site than it is buying the 2 pack in your local drug store. If you join the club on the website ($5), you get a 10% discount on all of your purchases from the site. I will say that shipping is slow (but free) and takes about 10-14 days so I have to plan ahead on my purchases. I don't think Walmart carries Nature's Tears, but I suppose looking at Walmart or Target may provide a better buy if available. If anyone sees this product in the big box stores, please let us know.

I learned from one of the MD websites that during sleep the lacrimal gland is inactive which is why eyes feel sore and dry upon wakening. I'll try the TheraTears in the middle of the night suggestion. I can see where it would benefit us since our eyes are dry even before the lacrimal gland becomes inactive during sleep.

There was one more suggestion with water around the eye. Drink lots of water. I haven't had a glass yet today nor breakfast for that matter (been working), but I will sign off now and go get hydrated. Best. YGB

Comment

Hi,

I have evaporative dry eyes also..........and from my own limited knowledge it's the lipid layer that is breaking up and not preserving the tear membrane.

My eye doc told me to use Clarymist.......however, I have a problem with it and can't use it at the mo. So, I found the main ingredient of clarymist and found some pills that have the same.

I've just started trying them now.

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2597

If you look up "phosphatidylcholine" on the web you'll see how it helps the lipid layer.

Although I've no proof I'm very positive about this one......it just seems so logical!

Hope that helps you.......regarding my own eyes, I am fully aware of what "at my wits end" is all about.

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ
        Although I've no proof I'm very positive about this one......it just seems so logical!
        Ian... I'm struggling to follow the "logical" part of this . Not trying to be discouraging and I do wish you the best with it. But topical application of a substance, and ingestion, are completely different animals. As far as I know, there are few precedents for anything taken topically for dry eye having any benefit whatsoever when taken systemically, and generally the experimentation has been the other way around (e.g. doxycycline is beneficial systemically, and there is a topical doxy under investigation). Am I missing something?
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Happy New Year Everyone!!

First of all I'd like to send my love to the young man that is suffering from dry eye, I too was very young when dry eye started in on me, I was depressed and now Im just living with it, I get these long mucus strings that come out of my eyes, its very gross and disgusting but I've been trying to keep in good spirits. I recently visited Atlanta Georgia and the humid weather made me feel almost 100% better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im thinking of moving to Florida because it's even more humid there and my eyes were doing fine, now Im back in Idaho where its now below freezing weather and the mucus strings are in their full effect The dry weather makes my skin even worse too, I am being treated for Crohns disease, the stomach doc thinks that is what I have and with Crohns disease comes severe dry eye and skin, and in women these horrible painful red nodules on the legs. Anyway's I wanted to say I am sorry I hadn't posted in such a long time and I hope you all are doing good. God Bless your friend in Idaho Delilah

Comment

Clintsmommy says:

. I have been on Prozac for about a month now and it has helped greatly. It has not made my eyes worse either. I know about the severe depression you are experiencing. If I was to quit taking this medicine, I would most likely be contemplating suicide again.
            People, please take note of her comments. I've seen over and over through the years where people are afraid to take anti-depressant meds "for fear they will dry the eyes." If you are in a deep depression, it's much more important to implement something that will allow you to cope with the situation over the long haul. You may not need the meds for a long time. But, to not try........because of the fear they may dry your eyes just is not a good reason. If perhaps you try, you can take the meds and decide to stop them if they contribute considerably to your dry eye situation. You've really lost nothing.

I do not take anti-depressants, however, have at one time. I took antidepressants for a time and when I stopped, my dry eye did not improve. I have not experienced a deep depression ever during the many years, but surely would have not been afraid to try the meds. It's amazing how many people have literally been brought to their knees by this innocent sounding ailment.

Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by AccutaneJay
              I have been thinking about taking in some swim goggles to wear while I am at my desk and doing computer work, but honestly am in fear of the reactions of my co-workers. ....the only thing that really provides releif is closing my eyes or wearing goggles.
              Hi AccJay
              Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I apologize for any insensitive comments I made to you in a private message quite awhile ago. I didn't understand what you were dealing with.

Wanted to ask: is that your picture in the posts, with hair standing tall? If so--I have always thought that was cool and humorous. AND, I want to encourage you to wear goggles at work (well---better to get some Panoptyx or Wiley-X if you can afford them). Don't worry about what other co-workers think. You sound cool, you look cool, so I have no doubt that whatever you wear, you will start a fashion trend. I got my Panoptyx locally at the Harley-Davidson store and some of the better optometrist offices have Panoptyx and Wiley's. They really do WORK--they keep the moisture in.

Point: Get something for yourself right away; treat yourself to some relief at work. Also, check out the Rudy-Project sports glasses, too. Only one frame with moisture barrier, though. Ekynox™ SGV: bottom of page.

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/produc...gles/index.htm

It isn't pleasant to be the center of attention (at work) because of the eyewear, but just remember: the reaction will wear off pretty quickly--people will get used to it. And--most people will go back to thinking about themselves and not you--it's just natural.

Sorry about the IBS. I have some food sensitivities myself, and it is always a constant struggle to keep things "normal." Not easy. I am going through a bad Digestion Problem period right now--doctors, meds, etc.

Hang in There---we do care about you and wish you the Best!
              C66

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions on the eyewear, Calli. Thanks for the apology also, but it really wasn't necessary. I've found yesterday and this morning to be better for me. It is very easy to become overwhelmed with all of this and seeing all of the support I have here in this community has been very helpful. Oh, and yes, my picture is of me, although my hair isn't quite as grand and tall any longer - I am in the process of growing it out long and wearing it down.

I will eventually look into getting some type of sunglasses/goggles that are a little more suitable for daytime wear than my swim goggles - they really just aren't comfortable and I find it difficult to wear them for an extended period of time.

Delilah, thanks for your support and thoughts I am going to private message you some information that I have gathered about IBS/IBD/Chron's that has helped with my condition so far. Hope it may help you as well.

YGB, thanks for the follow-up on the humidifier. I am thinking of getting one to bring to the office with me to help, as this is where I typically struggle the most. I think I can get a small warm mist one made by Vick's at my local Meijer store. Also, very interesting about the lacrimal gland being inactive during sleep - I think this is why the tears throughout the night seems to help.

I burned up my homemade rice baggy Friday night on the stove (I don't have a microwave). I'll have to make a new one today and use my plastic one with the goo in it in the mean time.

Thanks again,
                Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

Jay,

Just wishing you good luck with your struggle. I admire you, trying to work with such pain and discomfort.

You seem to know a great deal about your condition, so you will eventually find better solutions in the future. Think about it - you are so young that many new eye products will come out in the future to help you.

I hope you have the resources to find good therapy or a group meeting of some kind to help you. We all have you in our thoughts and prayers.

Elegiamore

Comment

Thank-you, Elegiamore, I appreciate your thoughts and good wishes. Thank-you for reminding me of my young age - this is encouraging, but also proves to be somewhat difficult for me, if you can imagine: I often think that I am so young, and get scared that perhaps I have to deal with this condition for the remainder of my life, which is hopefully many many years to come. I'm trying to only look @ the positive side of this though, and embrace my youth and use it to do my best to manage this condition and make a better future.

I have been leaning on my immediate family and the members of this online community for support and it has certainly helped me to cope.

Thanks again,
                    Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

Jay - I know what you're saying about being young with dry eye. It may be a blessing or a curse. Of course, the blessing is that we have more time to be helped by future drugs/innovations. However, if I had to choose, I would certainly choose getting dry eye pain at 65 (or better yet 165) instead of 37 (my age) or younger.

Obviously severe dry eyes can be a life altering experience for many of us. One thing that keeps me moving forward is the fact that I know if I can work through this pain and suffering with the hope of further relief, I will have such a greater appreciation of each day and life in general than what I had prior to this ordeal when it was easy to take life (and health) for granted.

One more "thought" and you likely already know this due to digestive issues, but I found that while drinking lots of water is good for dry eyes, drinking water too close to meals can hurt the digestion process since it dilutes the enzymes that are sent to the stomach to break down the food. I now do most of my drinking of H2O around my meals, not during my meals. Ideally, most of my water consumption is done at least 2 hours before or after my main meals although this is not set in stone. If I am thirsty during a meal, I take sips of water, not gulps. I'll occasionally have wine or beer with a meal, but that is not everyday. Keep the faith (and diligence/perseverance) that someday we will be stronger, wiser, and more appreciative of life for having gone through this very difficult experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X