Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white stuff

Good Morning all

Nice pleasant gunky query to start to the day off eh!

Has anyone ever exeprienced what i would technically describe as 'white stuff' on the outer corner of the eye? Not on the eye but on the fold of skin at the corner. just small amounts, looks like a tiny little smear of white paint. Wipes off easily enough and casues no irritation or anything. It is there most mornings at the outer coner off both eye lids at the fold, but can gather there during the day too.

Exeperienced the gunk in the inner corner, but this is a newish one.

cheers
    ben

Hi,

My eye doc said I had conjunctivitus.........I said "how do you know".....and he pointed me towards the white stuff in the corners of my eye. That fact aborted the procedure I had gone in for...more punctum plugs.

........as if dry eyes and retinal vein occlusions isn't enough!!!

Ian.

Comment

Hi Ian, interesting!

was this on the outer corners of your eyes ?

cheers

ben

Comment

Have you considered residue from the last application of artificial tears/gel?
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I had the same thing for many years. It's the beginning stages of MGD. The white is the sioapy residue fromt he bad oils mixing with the tear film. I'd talk to your doctor about treatment now before it gets worse. Also do not let him or anyone else put you on any ointments. It will only clog the glands more and make it worse. Thats what happened to me and its been a real tough 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ75
            I had the same thing for many years. It's the beginning stages of MGD. The white is the sioapy residue fromt he bad oils mixing with the tear film. I'd talk to your doctor about treatment now before it gets worse. Also do not let him or anyone else put you on any ointments. It will only clog the glands more and make it worse. Thats what happened to me and its been a real tough 3 years.

I think we all need to be careful about avoiding making diagnoses and treatment recommendations. I would agree that a discussion with an eye doctor is an appropriate suggestion.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

HI.
              JJ75 u mentioned that "It's the beginning stages of MGD".
              who told u this?

i dnt really think so (then i may be wrong too?),because me too i have this white stuff. but i think that (and some old post here fink as well) that it a mucous excess production thing.... ur mucus mechanism of the eye produces too much mucous -err i fink antibodies, nutrient, protein - because the eye being irritated by the dryness, is alarmed to produce more mucous to "defend" the eye.....

but however, i have noticed that for me, it not only form in the outer corner of the eye, but if analyse carefully, i found infact it forms on the lower lid margin too, and some flows to the outer corner....
              If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

Let's talk eye goobers!

It could be any of those things. If it were me I'd try to rule out a problem with my eye drops before running to the doc. I get a lot of residue from some drops, especially from Systane, Theratears Liquigel, or if I don't dry my lashes afterwards.

I wonder if there's been a change in the drops you use or how often.

I'd try to notice when I got the residue. If it's all the time, maybe try drops with a different active ingredient. Look for some pattern. Worse when you wake up? Only when you use the high-viscosity drops?

How's it look? If it's salty-looking and really white I'd guess it's from the drops. If it's off-white it sounds like your mucous. And if it's yellow or there's a lot, go to the doc, sounds like an infection.

You can wash it away with warm water and baby shampoo. From my experience the drops residue washes away quickly and easily but the eye goobers are a bit more stubborn and need a few seconds to soften in the water before they let go.

Be sure to let us know, and good luck either way,
                Charmee

Comment

Working...
                X