• Show
Clear All

• Transdermal Hormone Cream Licensed

Hi all;

Pay close attention to my highlights...

BRGDS

Philipp

arGentis Licenses Second Therapy for Dry Eye Syndrome
    MEMPHIS, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--arGentis, LLC, a Memphis-based specialty biopharmaceutical company, has licensed a second treatment for Dry Eye Syndrome (DES) developed by researchers at the Southern College of Optometry (SCO) in Memphis. The licensed patent application covers the use of transdermal progesterone in the treatment of DES, a condition that affects at least 20 million people in the U.S. and over 100 million people worldwide. The license agreement for this new DES treatment follows arGentis’ earlier licensure of intellectual property covering the use of transdermal testosterone in the treatment of DES, which would be prescribed in menopausal women. Approximately 30% of menopausal women suffer from DES, due to waning androgen production.

The active pharmaceutical ingredient for both licensed treatments is formulated into a cream or other such vehicle which is applied to the upper and lower eyelids for transdermal delivery to the affected glands. The use of testosterone and progesterone in this unique delivery method is based on the clinical work of Charles Connor, OD, PhD, Professor and Director of Research Programs at SCO and Charles Haine, OD, SCO Vice President for Academic Affairs. Dr. Connor stated: “Our earlier transdermal testosterone treatment that SCO licensed to arGentis works very well with menopausal and post menopausal women suffering from DES. However, there are millions of younger women and men of all ages who suffer from DES resulting from other causes. In our clinical practice at SCO, we have found transdermal progesterone treatment addresses that need. Given the cross-reactivity among Class I hormone receptors, we believe progesterone activates the secretion of corticosteroids which have anti-inflammatory properties, restoring the natural process of quality tear production.”

arGentis CEO, Tom Davis stated: “We believe these two treatments give us a solid pipeline of products to treat DES. The distinctive application via the eyelids is innovative and different from the approach taken by other pharmaceutical companies. We believe the unique method of delivery will be more effective than eye drops by giving more direct access to the affected glands by the API. It will also be easier for patients to use than drop formulations and provides for convenient twice-daily dosing. I have been impressed by SCO’s research and its commitment to high quality eye care. This commitment is one of the primary reasons the SCO researchers have developed these innovative approaches to DES treatment.”

arGentis plans to begin the pharmaceutical formulation development for both treatments in the second quarter of this year and complete the clinical trial designs in 2007. The company plans to file Investigative New Drug applications for both treatments early in 2008.

The patent application for the progesterone treatment was prepared and filed for SCO by Reed Smith LLP of Washington, D.C.

About Dry Eye Syndrome

Dry eye syndrome (DES), also known as keratoconjuctivitas sicca (KCS), is one of the most common disorders of the eye. It is caused by a lack of tear quantity, or lack of tear quality, adequate tear production without the necessary elements to maintain them. DES affects as many as 20 million people in the U.S. and 100 million in the developed world.

About arGentis

arGentis, LLC is a Tennessee Limited Liability Company formed to develop, distribute and market health care products, including those developed by Southern College of Optometry. Based in the heart of the biomedical research district in Memphis, Tennessee, the company is led by CEO and President Tom Davis.

About Southern College of Optometry

Established in Memphis, Tennessee in 1932, Southern College of Optometry is an independent, not-for-profit institution of higher education with a mission to educate men and women in the art and science of optometry. An SCO faculty member since 1988, Dr. Charles Connor, Director of Research Programs, earned his PhD from Temple University and his doctor of optometry degree from the University of Houston. Dr. Charles Haine, Professor, earned his masters and doctor of optometry degree from Indiana University.
    Dysfunctional Tear Syndrome ("Dry Eye Disease") is a bane of modern society.

Very nice find, Phillip. I have been putting DHEA cream on my upper lids and brow area for years now and it does work to some level to make for a more comfortable eye. Unfortunately, after a few days my lid area is a bit irritated and I have to wait a week to begin again. Maybe the vehicle they use will be more tolerable.

Anyway, thanks for posting this.

Comment

20/20, where do you get the DHEA cream? Is it by RX (which would be prepared by a compounding pharmacy)?
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I have tried the cream

A few years ago I had an appt with Dr. Charles Connor at the Southern College of Optometry in Memphis, TN. He is the inventor of this progesterone cream. I was prescribed the cream and went to a compounding place nearby the college to get it. It came in a little tube and is applied to the eyelids. Unfortunately, it did not help me in the least. Oh well..at least I got to visit to Graceland. Anyway, if you schedule an appt with Dr. Connor at SCO in Memphis he could prescribe you the cream.
        Cause of dry eyes: Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Comment

Oh well..at least I got to visit to Graceland. Anyway, if you schedule an appt with Dr. Connor at SCO in Memphis he could prescribe you the cream.
          Thanks for the info, greeneyes. I was hoping it was a matter of getting an RX from my local eye guy. Already did Graceland and the Tennessee thing a few years ago........from one end to the other! It was most enjoyable though, as there is much to see. (Well, I can sort of see.) I'm about done doing out of town docs. The pockets have dried up.

I'll see what 20/20 says. Thanks, Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

The one I use is called DHEA PLus by Life-Flo Health Care Products. It comes in a pump dispenser and the total container is 2 oz quantity. I certainly don't want to lead anyone down a wrong path with this - just telling of my experiences with it. It lists the key ingredients as: Natural DHEA, Aloe Vera, Vitamin E and MSM. It does not look to contain anything that would irritate tissues, but maybe the eyelid is more delicate. I find relief the first day, then the lid skin is irritated after that until I wait it out a few days or more. I rub it on the upper lid and brow area.

Comment

Msm

Its funny that you mention the DHEA cream containing MSM. I posted just last week that I had attributed feeling better to NAC supplements but that I had also been taking MSM for an unrelated knee injury. It turns out that MSM is touted as having beneficial effects on blepharitis and dry eye symptoms. They even sell a MSM eyedrop.

Comment

Unfortunately, it did not help me in the least. Oh well..at least I got to visit to Graceland. Anyway, if you schedule an appt with Dr. Connor at SCO in Memphis he could prescribe you the cream.
                I did not help me, either. I did not personally see him because Dr. Connor told me (on 12/14/2004):
                Any doctor with a DEA number can prescribe the cream. There is a pharmacist in Memphis who compounds the cream and will ship it anywhere in the US if you can get a doctor to call the prescription into the pharmacy at 901-682-2273. You want 5% testosterone cream applied to the eyelids twice a day. I have found for males, putting the cream on a cotton swab and applying to the eyelid margins works best. The success rate is lower with males than females. if you are unable to get a local optometrist , family physician or ophthalmologist to call in the Rx then it may be worth a trip to Memphis. The cream is not a cure, based on patient perception the cream reduces symptoms about 50%. I have had two people who contacted me who had LASIK and felt benefit , they got the cream from their family physician. Hope this is helpful.

Comment

Any doctor with a DEA number can prescribe the cream. There is a pharmacist in Memphis who compounds the cream and will ship it anywhere in the US if you can get a doctor to call the prescription into the pharmacy at 901-682-2273. You want 5% testosterone cream applied to the eyelids twice a day. I have found for males, putting the cream on a cotton swab and applying to the eyelid margins works best. The success rate is lower with males than females. if you are unable to get a local optometrist , family physician or ophthalmologist to call in the Rx then it may be worth a trip to Memphis. The cream is not a cure, based on patient perception the cream reduces symptoms about 50%. I have had two people who contacted me who had LASIK and felt benefit , they got the cream from their family physician. Hope this is helpful.
                  I would agree with this, ive been using progesterone cream on eyelid margins with a cotton bud for a while, it had improved symptoms by about 30-40%- sometimes it feels like either-or. I started using it further up eyelids to see if that helped more- it thought it did at first. But its definitely not a cure, but better than most other dry eye treatments- if it works for you that is.
                  I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Working...
                  X