Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• honey and MGD

http://apitherapy.blogspot.com/2007/...-problems.html

I'm very skeptical about this type of treatments but... hopefully having "sweet eyes" won't hurt. It certainly takes better than benzalkonium...
    Don't do this at home by yourself! (honey in your eyes).
    "honey pie, you are making me crazy, I'm [hurting] but I'm lazy" though "my position is tragic"...
    Where's my honey jar?
    Last edited by kakinda; 08-Feb-2007, 03:49.

Hmmm--not too many details in the article.

A thought: Honey is "hygroscopic," in addition to having the antibacterial qualities. Draws moisture from the air.

"Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract water molecules from the surrounding environment through either absorption or adsorption.

Hygroscopic substances include honey, glycerin, ethanol, methanol, concentrated sulfuric acid, and concentrated sodium hydroxide (lye)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopic

C66

Comment

since the goal is here to control meibomitis then i guess it must be the antibacterial properties that are used.
      I don't believe this is a very good source, I think the other article i posted today are much more relevant, but it just a interesting to see what researcher come up with to treat this (they must be pretty desperate?).
      I'll certainly use honey ... on bread... in the meanwhile

Comment

published twice by mistake.
        Last edited by Ariel; 04-May-2010, 10:06.

Comment

published twice by mistake.
          Last edited by Ariel; 04-May-2010, 10:05.

Comment

I'm only beginning to understand what DES is and how to treat it so I'm not very clear on this honey business. I'd appreciate it if some of you could help me.

An inflammation of the sebaceous glands on they eyelid margins can cause a reduced production of the oily substance needed to keep the eye lubricated but doesn't it also happen that the oily orifices get clogged? Not enough production and clogging are two different things.

When we express the glands we do it to squezee out the oil trapped inside. If we cover the orifices with thick honey it seems to me that we'll be adding a new barrier for the oil to get through on its way out. Not true?

Comment

hmmm...well good question...

I think it gets the swelling down and protects it from the air. My oil glands are on the inside edge...and the honey I put off...was on the outside edge...eyes closed and smear...so no I dont think it blocked mine.

Comment

Working...
              X