Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unisol 4

Hey guys,
    After hearing several accounts of how nice a cold saline rinse can feel, I was wondering who uses what and, is Unisol 4 (Alcon) a preservative free saline solution, an appropriate product to do it with?
    Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Eli

I would check with your doctor about the appropriate use of saline rinses.

Options are limited when it comes to preservative-free buffered pH balanced saline. Basically, there's Unisol, and there's a couple of private-label equivalents at some drug or grocery stores. I have used both Unisol and private-label types (mostly for my sclerals) and they seem the same to me.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Eli-

Unisol is fine.

I use aerosol saline rinsing solution (sold for rinsing contact lenses) and an eye cup. Since I wear contacts, I always have it around the house. It comes in a 12 oz can, unpreserved. Walmart's Equate brand is the cheapest at $2.69 a can, or thereabouts.

I think occasional rinsing is fine, but don't overdo it. I was a "chronic" saline rinse user for years, and developed a real dependency. I used it to rewet my contacts and at night for dryness. It feels great, but I think it dilutes the lipids and disturbs the tear component balance if used too much. I've been much better since I quit using it for "tears."

C66

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys-
        I was mostly looking for something to occasionally gently rinse some of the crusty junk out of my eyes in the morning that seems to precipitate from using carbomethylcellulose based tears (TheraTears in my case). Unisol feels really gentle and soothing, but is not not advertised specifically for that purpose so I thought I better check. I also agree that over zealous flushing of the eye with a compromised tear film isn't going to be very helpful, but in moderation a little squirt does feel pretty good. I have also been puting Unisol in my TranquilEye sponges since my tap water is chlorinated. I figure the Unisol is sterile and is much more like actual tears than tap water were it to drip into your eye overnight. I hope I'm not overlooking something stupid here though!
        Eli

Comment

Eli-
          What you're doing sounds fine----sensible. Saline is less irritating than tap water, for sure. I use purified water or saline for the tranquileyes pads, too--but most of the time I'm too lazy to do the pads.
          C66

Comment

Working...
          X