Nighttime dryness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nighttime dryness

I've been thinking about this recently and wondering why dryness is such a problem at night. My latest thought is that since the lipid layer of the tear film is secreted by the meibomian glands with each blink, at night when you are not blinking at all then there is no secretion of the lipid layer, so all that you're left with to prevent evaporation is your eyelid and any other protection you use (ie Tranquileyes).

Of course there are many other factors, including reduced aqueous secretion. But maybe a using a drop like Soothe or something that focuses on replenishing the lipid layer will work best for nighttime dryness or will provide a quick jump start on evaporation protection in the morning. Or doing eyelid massages upon awakening but before opening your eyes.

Night dryness

I've been wondering this as well. Since developing sudden onset DES with MGD, dryness at night has been unbearable (never had this problem before). I asked my doctor and he didn't know. Also, I think I ruled out my eyelids not properly closing, as wearing goggles doesn't help. I can only assume that because I now have very little tear production dryness is more noticable at night. I believe read where tear production is limited to non existant while sleeping.

Comment

I can relate. Nighttime has always been miserable for my eyes--since maybe 20 years ago! I never realized it was DE till 2-3 years ago.

I have pretty much stopped the discomfort with lots of Genteal Gel, 2-4 drops--I put it in the lower lids, then bend over, pull out my upper lids, and let it run under those--so my whole eye surface is filled. Plus I wear Tranquileyes Goggles (usually without pads), plus more gel and Soothe drops during the night.

But--the Dry Eyes still wake me up. My eyes just seem to "go dead" as soon as I fall asleep--there's no feeling of lubrication at all unless I put in the gel.

The goggles just seem to keep the gel from drying out on my lashes.

And the whole "routine" gets me to morning without developing dry spots and bad edema from irritation.

I hate being woken up by my eyes--every two hours!

C66

Comment

nighttime dryness

I forgot to mention,
        Something that has helped me with nightime dryness (I got the idea from another poster on this board) is --

If you are on Restasis, try putting it in just before you close your eyes at night. The medication then has a chance to really sink in and go to work. I've been doing this for the past couple of nights and have noticed that it's helped a little. Previously, I didn't wait until too late in the evening because I thought my eyes would be drier and I wouldn't tolerate the Restasis as well. But so far, waiting until later hasn't been a problem.

hope this info helps.

Pinky

Comment

I notice a huge difference if I don't have my humidifier running at night. I'm a lot drier without.
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Flick,

nighttime dryness has never woken me up, since I tend to have worse symptoms during the day. But reading the thing about the meibomian glands secreting oil with each blink, combined with my experience of (mostly) evaporative dry eye post-Lasik without signs of MGD makes me think that since the surgery alters your blink pattern, the lipid layer might be one of the overlooked parts that are affected. Just a side note.

I have experienced VERY substantial relief by using a warm rice bag, my eyes feel terrific for about an hour afterwards. How about using one for five minutes before sleep? At the very least, it's relaxing and will keep your tbut up.

Comment

I also agree that nighttime is the most challenging for me. I don't really understand why (and the doctors) have not been able to figure out why my eyes are so puffy when I awake in the morning. My upper eyelids are literally swollen to a 1/4 of an inch, and this swelling happens no matter what I do. I've been allergy tested, and I have slight allergies to dust mites and mold, so maybe I have a stronger allergic reaction since my eyes are more dry. Who knows? I do find it kind of strange that some degree of swelling remains throughout the day. I wear tranquileyes, use genteal gel and keep a humidifier running at night. That seems to help me get through the night.

Comment

It is my understanding that during sleep the lacrimal unit stops producing (aqueous component), and not just those with DES. This is why I instill drops every time I turn or wake momentarily throughout the night. I'm uncertain as to the meibomian glands, but I'm sure output is probaly at least decreased.
                Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

dry eyes at night

Jason,
                  This is my understanding as well -- while sleeping the lacrimal glands do not produce aqueous tears. But, what I don't understand is, before I developed sudden onset DES with MGD my eyes would stay moist all night long. Now they don't. If everyone has no aqueous tear production while sleeping, how come it is only those with DES that experience the dryness? This has been absolutely driving me crazy in the last year and I can't figure out what's going on.

Comment

I've wondered the same thing. Maybe Dr. Latkany would know.

Comment

Working...
                    X