Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeletons in the Closet?

Hi all,
    After being diagnosed with ocular Rosacea around Christmas of 2006 (That was the best present ever!) I have been doing my fair share of internet research in to my problem-which of course includes this wonderful site. Early on, I became intrigued with Dr. Scheffer Tseng's work, as he seems to offer some of the most "cutting edge" treatments available. I can say that my only personal experience with him has been through a short series of e-mails to which he always responded promptly, and even submitted copies of some of his papers at my request. While looking for more information about Dr. Tseng, I came across this article from the New York Times, June 12, 1989 which is not as positive:
    "That concern was underscored last year, when it was disclosed that a Harvard Medical School scientist, Dr. Scheffer Tseng, tested an experimental vitamin A ointment on hundreds of patients from 1984 though 1986 at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. The ointment, tested as a remedy for chronically dry eyes, apparently worked for only a few patients.

Subsequent investigation by the school and the hospital found that the researcher made unauthorized modifications to his study, varying the approved doses and enrolling more patients than approved, and that he minimized negative findings while he sold his rights to the formula and sold his stock in the company he had helped form to market the product.

While the investigations found no evidence that patients were harmed, they found that few improved with the treatments and that the researcher had violated university rules involving conflicts of interest, patient testing and supervising research.

A lawsuit filed by other shareholders in the company, Spectra Pharmaceutical Services Inc., accuses Dr. Tseng of using his knowledge of the negative results to make a substantial profit before disclosure of the information drove down the price of the stock. Dr. Tseng, who left Harvard for the University of Miami, has denied the accusations. He did not return telephone messages left at his office in Miami. Research and Regulation Will Government Step In?
    "
    The link to the full article is here:http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...gewanted=print
    I provide this citation not to slander Dr. Tseng, who has reportedly helped a lot of patients, but to remind forum members that they should always ask questions regarding their treatments and do their "homework" before starting new ones. A good example of this is LASIK where some doctors have deliberately "downplayed" the risk of complications to their patients in order to make a quick buck. Again I should stress that I have no reason to doubt Dr. Tseng's medical competence, but regardless, I feel forum members deserve to know everything they can about the doctors to which they entrust their vision.

Hi Eli,

I read your post about Dr. Tseng's skeletons. Interesting...

I'm wondering what types of treatment he has suggested to you. I also suspect that I have ocular rosacea even though I do not have significant facial signs. I only have slight flushing.

I would be interested to hear about what Dr. Tseng has suggested.

Thanks,
    Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,
      Through e-mails, Dr. Tseng suggested that perhaps Demodex mites may play a role in some manifestations of my ocular rosacea (I think mostly MGD/blepharitis), though without a thorough examination he couldn't say for sure. Fair enough. Like you, I don't often have a facial symptoms. Occasionally I do have a quick flush, usually due to embarressment or stress. I have also noticed that sometimes when I drink alcohol my face will get red. But not always. I have not been able to isolate any dietary stressors as of yet. Have you? The most problematic thing with my face sometimes is sporadic acne, though usually pretty mild. Apparently this could be Rosacea related, but I'm not sure. I think I may want to see a dermatologist at some point. One possible manifestation of ocular rosacea is telangiectasia of the eyelid margins, where you will see little red lines (blood vessels) cross the margin of your eyelids. However, I think this can also occur with obstructive (where the glands get plugged) Meibomian Gland Dysfunction as well where rosacea isn't a factor. I bought a couple of books on Dry Eye (not cheap) and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Speaking of books, if you come across the website www.drnase.com looking for rosacea treatments, you may want to look elsewhere. I purchased his book "Beating Rosacea, Vascular, Ocular and Acne Forms." I eagerly read the ocular section and was excited to see that he had some interesting ideas for diasease management. Unfortunately, the next day I googled him, and was shocked to see that many groups were starting to question his sanity, claims of treatment efficacy and even credentials. See http://www.debunkingnase.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
      Sort of depressing. Just out of curiosity, what is your daily regimen for your eyes like? Do you have a favorite eyedrop? I personally like TheraTears and Systane. Of all the preservative free drops I've tried Systane seems to provide the longest lasting relief. Anyway, good luck with everything!

Comment

Hi Eli,

Did Dr. Tseng say anything about the surgeries? Or did he suggest any other treatments in addition to possibly treating the mites?

I don't have any dietary triggers. I'm not even sure if I have ocular rosacea. I just know that when I go from the cold outdoors into the warm 80+ degrees in my office, my eyes start burning and do not stop until I leave for the day. I also hurt at the mall and other large commercial sized buildings. I know that other people with dry eye (w/o rosacea) also complain of this, so I'm not even sure if the cause of my dry eye is rosacea.

I'm spending so much money on doctors and eye therapies that I did not purchase any books. I'm just using the internet right now.

I also like Thera Tears and Systane. I also use Dwelle. At this point, my daily regimen is this: I have lower plugs and upper flow controller plugs (which is like half a plug), Thera Tears Nutrition, 200 mg minocycline, heat compresses twice a day, Restasis, drops about once an hour (sometimes more!) and ice when I can't take the burning anymore. I use Genteal Gel at night and Thera tears regular drops if I wake up throughout the night.

Rereading my regimen really made me feel exhausted. I don't even know what I did with my time before I developed chronic dry eye.

-Julie

Comment

Hi,
          I also have ocular rosacea, and I did not realize I had rosacea at first. I read this article at Web-MD, and saw that often times, eye symptoms develop before, the facial signs show up. In hindsight, I realized I had had some facial redness for quite some time, but I had dismissed it as just my skin color-without my makeup.

I had been on minocycline for a awful case of blepharitis, also the correct treatment for the rosacea. Only when the redness began to clear, (after nearly a year!) did I suspect I had rosacea all along.

It was pretty exciting to finally have a diagnosis.

I already see a opthamologist in the same office as the author, and I was in the office , when I saw a Doctor's name tag , and it was one of the authors.
          It was like a celebrity had walked by. I felt like asking for a autograph, I was so grateful.

Published Sept.29,2006
          Author: J Bradley Randleman
          Subject: Ocular Rosacea
          http://www.emedicine.com/OPH/topic115.htm
          Last edited by skygoddess; 04-Mar-2007, 21:14.

Comment

Working...
          X